What to do with silken tofu?

Options
NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hello! I have a carton of silken tofu that, army current rate, I won't be able to use before it goes bad. Do any of you have any recipes?

Here's what I'm looking for
-Something that's lower in calories
-No smoothies/shakes. I just don't really like them all that much
-Savory or sweet; it doesn't matter. I will love you forever if you give me a low calorie chocolate dessert, but I love my savory dishes as well

Replies

• tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You could make cheesecake.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Replace part of ricotta with it in most recipes. Works really well in a lasagna. Similarly you can lighten a quiche that way. I never replace more than half of whatever I am replacing to keep the taste unless I do it to avoid allergens.

I also used to know a vegan chocolate mousse recipe that was basically cocoa, silken tofu and a sweetener. Maybe Google would find it?

Other places to add it into include a bit to pancakes or muffins, to pumpkin, zucchini, or banana bread etc. It can be used to replace egg and/or fat. Look up vegan recipes to get an idea of how much. I do it based on a feel, but have years of experience in baking without milk and eggs.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Use as an egg replacement, puree for moisture in baked goods or just dice it into some miso soup, but my favorite way to use it is actually to replace the cream base in sauces. Look for vegan alfredo, or combine with real cheese to make super-delicious, lower-calorie macaroni and cheese. Other ideas: http://www.vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes/tofu-101/
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You could also use any other kind of sweetener to taste instead of agave ^
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    P.S. Cute horse!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I think you could make a tofu scramble. Add veggies tumeric nutritional yeast pepper and fry like you are making scrambled eggs,
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/26182/chocolate+tofu+mousse

Halve the recipe for 4 serves if you only have 1 packet of tofu?
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We use it in lasagne. Replace all or part of your ricotta with it. If you mix in some brewer's yeast, it tastes very much like ricotta cheese and has a lovely texture.

We have also used it to make a cream pie type dessert, or just melted some good dark chocolate into it and had a kind of fudge treat that's high in protein.

If you're up for a challenge, you can cut it and steam it and serve it with stir fry -- the texture is AMAZING but the silken tofu is harder to work with than something firmer. Totally worth it if you're willing to have a bit of a potential mess on your hands, though :).
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Send some to a rabid meat eater and watch them scream and run around in circles in panic.

Seriously...
    someone was asking about ideas for silken tofu yesterday and I suggested miso soup. You could also use it in a curry but add it as the last ingredient so it doesn't scramble.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with eggplant and hoisin sauce.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Naml2013
    Naml2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    just some advice... be careful with tofu and soy products in general. As women, we naturally store estrogen, particularly in the fat cells of the body. Soy products tend to create an estrogen imbalance over time. I used to use a lot of soy products until I started developing fibroid tumors which I had to have surgically removed twice (myomectomy). Years later, I stumbled upon some data that linked soy to high estrogen levels in women, a main contributor to fibroids. So, too much of a "good thing" (soy) may not be good for you in the long run. Check the research on soy and estrogen levels. I now drink only almond, coconut, or organic 2% milk after drinking soy milk for 15 years or more.
  • Naml2013
    Naml2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to use silkened tofu to make wonderful desserts back in the 90's, but recent research says soy contributes to high estrogen levels in women, particularly if they have more body fat than usual. So now I eat a nice greek yogurt or low-fat ice cream when the urge for cool and creamy hits.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies! I might just have to buy more tofu to make all this! I was acctually wanting to try the "broccamoli" recipe.