Flossing credits?

Options
Do you subtract calories for the food you pulled out of your teeth while flossing? After all, you didn't eat it so it doesn't count right?

Or do you only eat back half of your flossed calories?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this, too. I think the right answer is to tare your floss before you use it, and then weigh it again afterwards, and then subtract that from your diary. HTH!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You also need to eat the calories back that you expended with the flossing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i don't like to weigh the tiny bits so after i pick them out of my floss i eat them again. that way my food log is completely accurate.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just suck the food particles from the floss.......you already logged them so dont make it harder than it has to be.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this, too. I think the right answer is to tare your floss before you use it, and then weigh it again afterwards, and then subtract that from your diary. HTH!!!!
    Since sugars are digested by saliva do you have to find the separate "net flossed" entries in the database to get accurate negative calorie counts?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    i don't like to weigh the tiny bits so after i pick them out of my floss i eat them again. that way my food log is completely accurate.

Do you think an HRM would be good to ascertain the calorie burned while flossing?
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat your own floss debris it's OK. If you eat someone else's, you need to add it to your diary!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Is this sort of like picking a tiny little oat flake that detached from the granola bar and stuck in the wrapper and shoving it in your mouth thinking, "well, I logged 140 calories for this stupid thing and I am eating ALL of them!"
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Is this sort of like picking a tiny little oat flake that detached from the granola bar and stuck in the wrapper and shoving it in your mouth thinking, "well, I logged 140 calories for this stupid thing and I am eating ALL of them!"

Yes! Exactly.

I also lick my plate. I logged those calories - I'm getting my tally's worth!
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    But what if it's MINT floss?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Do you think an HRM would be good to ascertain the calorie burned while flossing?

it doesn't raise my HR high enough to register on my HRM, so I wear my Fitbit. I must have hyper accurate logging of calories burned if i am ever to make progress
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Yes! Exactly.

I also lick my plate. I logged those calories - I'm getting my tally's worth!
    Yep, and the cheese that sticks to the wrapper when you get a cheeseburger. And also be sure to eat back the ketchup/mustard from your napkin.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    But what if it's MINT floss?

I think it's the sugar free mint, so you should be fine.
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    As long as you eat your own floss debris it's OK. If you eat someone else's, you need to add it to your diary!
    Yeah. I know it takes a lot of willpower to keep from eating other peoples' floss pickins, but you gotta keep telling yourself it will pay off in the long run! I already lost an extra few pounds after I cut out other peoples' floss!
  • pkoll
    Options
    Yeah. I know it takes a lot of willpower to keep from eating other peoples' floss pickins, but you gotta keep telling yourself it will pay off in the long run! I already lost an extra few pounds after I cut out other peoples' floss!
  • pkoll
    Options
    Exactly!
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I think it depends on how vigorous of a floss session you had. Did you break a sweat? If not, don't log that crap!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I think it depends on how vigorous of a floss session you had. Did you break a sweat? If not, don't log that crap!
    Be sure to keep your heart rate under 120 while flossing or you will get bulky!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I think that this ^^ is the only way to be truly accurate. Unless you have the particles analyzed, you can't be sure of what it is that you are subtracting back out. That little beige glob could be anything from rice to a piece of the toenail you chewed off earlier (and better have logged, people). Those items have totally different macros. Do you want inaccurate macros at the end of the day? No, I didn't think so.

As to logging the calories burned while flossing, well, that's just silly. Unless of course you were chewing ice and hopping on one foot while doing it.