is it really crucial to log raw veg??

Options
2»

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For me this depends. When I eat a giant bowl of green beans or mixed vegetables, I log it because it can be anywher from 75-150 calories.

I always have a ziplock full of sliced peppers and onions that I'll sautee with eggs, fish or sausage that I don't log. I probably eat a 1/2 cup of them and even if it's 50 calories, it doesn't really hurt my progress.
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ok, ok, ok!! I'm not sure what the aggression is about, I was just asking a question....

What aggression?
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I say log it all. Or why log at all.

I like this!! :)
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So, I know there is the whole debate of negative calories etc. But any other diet I have done, veggies have been free, (obvs not potatoes, etc) so in my head you can kind of have as many as you want. Also, when you look at the standard, healthy diets, ie WW or Slimming world, veggies don't count. Here, they do.

Would I lose more weight if I logged my vegetables? do you? do you weigh your tomato to see whether it has 13 or 15 calories??

Thanks people,

Rachel

x

I'd say definitely log your vegetables. Some veggies like onions can quickly add to your calorie and carb count.
    If anything logging all your vegetables will allow you to look back and see exactly what you ate on a certain day/ week. I find it really helpful to be able to replicate how I ate on successful weeks when I feel as though my diet may be lacking! (:

lol what? Onions are extremely low calorie. Even if you eat an entire large onion, it's only about 60 calories.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    ok, ok, ok!! I'm not sure what the aggression is about, I was just asking a question....

I am not sure I was justifying it, nor was I encouraging the negative calories (merely mentioning it so that this debate doesnt happen here!) I was merely asking for clarification, seeing as I didn't quite get it.

One of my friends on WW is on 26 points, which means roughly 1700 calories. On top of this, all fruit and veg is free. She has lost stones of weight.... hence I was querying it.... She brought it up, and said that she ate her points as well as half a melon, 2 oranges, an apple etc. I was curious as to how it worked....

But thank you for your reply, I will definitely change my logging habits, and hope to see further progress...

Each WW point is roughly 50 calories. If there is more fiber, it can be higher calories. If you are calculating something with 5g of dietary fiber and no fat per serving, each point would be around 70 cal but if there is no dietary fiber and high fat it would be about 30 cal. So 26 points is roughly 1300 calories. If you ate nothing but fattier, low fiber foods it would be closer to 800 calories (in which case, the free veggies/fruits is what would bring that up to 1200 calories. If someone ate nothing but foods with high dietary fiber and no fat, it would be around 1820 calories. Almost no one eats all fatty foods or foods all full of dietary fiber so it is closer to 1300 calories.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it is CRUCIAL to log your veggies -- the calories for green non-starchy veggies are probably negligible. But I like to log mine because eating more than 5 servings of fruits and veggies is a great indicator of a healthy diet and I like to be able to look back and see how I've been eating.

Agree with this^

It's a way to keep track of your veggie intake. You get to immediately see the benefits that you're getting in fibre, vitamins and minerals.
  • TammyS3
    TammyS3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you eat it....log it. One of my pet peeves is the diet programs that call certain kinds of food "free." All food has calories and I have the belief that you should be aware of all the food we eat..nutritional info and all. Veggies are low calorie and all...but my advice...log it.

I agree. A calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Even WW has you limit "free" foods to a serving. If you eat more than a serving at a time, you're supposed to count it. You can easily gain weight eating nothing but "healthy" stuff.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Wasn't aware of all that WW info, thanks. I am sure my friend eats unlimited fruit and veg, and never counts any of it... Oh well...

I will log veggies for the next few weeks and see what happens... I know the whole no pain, no gain thing, but logging and weighing is annoying (although being fat is even more :p:p) who knows, I may get to my goal sooner than I expect...
  • yasavi
    yasavi Posts: 30
    Options
    you gotta log them for micros... but personally, I don't worry too much if I miss to add my cherry tomatoes with my eggs !