cant do a crunch or situp

Options
Im not fat or underweight, the rest of my body has decent muscle definition, but abs? what abs? every one says crunches build abs, but I simply cant do one! me attempting a crunch looks like a girl laying on her back with her hands behind her head. I cant come up at all. how do I get better at crunches?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Try doing planks. There's all kinds of variations of them online. Crunches and sit ups are really hard on your back and aren't actually that effective.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to come all the way up with a crunch.it should look like a girl laying on the ground with her arms folded over her chest, trying to see something on the ceiling. Heck, you can even twist around to try to get a better view (oblique crunches)

Just start by getting your shoulders off the ground, hold for five counts, lower. Repeat.

Or, you could search for Pilates workouts.
  • insane5150
    insane5150 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try putting your feet under something heavy like a piece of furniture or have someone hold them down. That really helps me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Try getting a stability ball and youtube some videos "crunches on stability ball" ... or if you're working out at a gym do leg raises instead.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I personally think that planks are a lot harder than crunches, but that might be because my shoulder don't seem to have any muscles... but if you really don't get up when your trying a crunch maybe start with high knees when standing up.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    you just have to keep doing them. :flowerforyou: and i agree that pilates can help with both flexibility and core strength
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    In crossfit, sit-ups are sometimes part of our workouts. I've never been able to do one sit-up in my life. A month later, after starting out from the very beginning, I can do a bunch. Start out with having your feet stabilized, like under a couch, to keep you centered. Then you can build up some preliminary abs to help you learn how to do them without it.

Also, if there is any fat on your stomach, it's unlikely that doing any kind of ab workouts will help you see it. That comes with a clean diet and fat loss. If you have a nice, flat stomach though, you will begin seeing results soon enough.
  • Amlynnskie
    Amlynnskie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do a totally different type of sit up/crunch, and it really strengthens your abs. I stand w my feet shoulder with apart, bend my arms up at the elbow with my finger tips on my shoulders and lift one knee at a time to meet the opposite elbow.... It's easier than a regular crunch / sit up, and it works :D
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try doing planks. There's all kinds of variations of them online. Crunches and sit ups are really hard on your back and aren't actually that effective.

yes, planks!!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Keep working on those abs...it will happen. Be careful doing old style sit ups and crunches....its easy to hurt your neck if you lock your hands behind it.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Practice crunches with your arms crossed over your chest. It's a lot less hard on the neck. There are a variety of standing movements that target the abdominals as well.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

I agree with this poster. Do some research and you'll see that crunches & situps are not that way to go. The main purpose of your core is to provide stability to the rest of your body so it can do all the things we want it to do (like lift heavy stuff). Repeated contractile motions (crunches & situps), don't help increase stability nearly as well as exercises that focus on keeping your core stressed, but still.

Proper core stability exercises are generally broken down into 2 types, static stability and dynamic stability. Planks are an example of static stability exercises, and dynamic stability exercises would be things like Spiderman planks and mountain climbers using Valslides. Note the difference between a dynamic stability exercise and something like a crunch is that in a dynamic stability exercise, the abs are static, while your center of gravity changes in some way.
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just keep at. Can also try flutter kicks.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I hate sit-ups and crunches! Years ago, I had very strong abs without doing any situps and crunches and I'm trying to build them up again, whilst still skipping the abs and crunches!

If you do heavy lifting, I've read that squats are good for abs. I'm doing bodyweight exercises at the moment, and the whole body exercises are exercising abs as well. As others have said, planks will work your abs, and so will other exercises - you don't really need to have to do separate exercises just for them, as far as I understand.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I just did front squats for the first time since I've started weight training (almost a year). And I started with light weight, and I really felt my abs working. If you do weight training, you may want to incorporate that into your routine. A small 20-30 lbs. barbell may be all that it takes.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I agree with this poster. Do some research and you'll see that crunches & situps are not that way to go. The main purpose of your core is to provide stability to the rest of your body so it can do all the things we want it to do (like lift heavy stuff). Repeated contractile motions (crunches & situps), don't help increase stability nearly as well as exercises that focus on keeping your core stressed, but still.

Proper core stability exercises are generally broken down into 2 types, static stability and dynamic stability. Planks are an example of static stability exercises, and dynamic stability exercises would be things like Spiderman planks and mountain climbers using Valslides. Note the difference between a dynamic stability exercise and something like a crunch is that in a dynamic stability exercise, the abs are static, while your center of gravity changes in some way.

Yes, yes, yes! Listen to this guy. There are multitudes of plank variations, go check out google.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Try squatting low and twisting or even dancing and twisting. And also try putting one leg in front of you and both hands on either side of your head. Not behind your neck but on each side of your head and round your back and pull your elbows in forward. Alternate doing this with each leg in front. Or maybe try kettle bells there is alot of standing excercises you can do with kettlebells that will help lose weight on your stomach and the extra little bit of added weight your lifting will help ya alot. Or any type of lower body thing will help some with your stomach like more of stair stepper or excercise bike. Or just alot of dancing will help. Anytime you are moving your hips or moving your body around alot you will lose some weight.
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the responses. Ive looked up a few standing ab workouts, I can actually do those and feel them working. Thanks!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    if you lay with your butt up to a piece of furniture (the couch, say) and put your feet on the furniture so your knees and hips are at 90 degree angles, it takes you hip flexors out of the movement. That helps.