I love pizza so....

Options
I invented a low calorie pizza last night. I used a 100 cal whole wheat wrap for the crust. I found a roasted tomato paste that is 50 cal per 2 tbls. 1/3 cup finely shredded mozz cheese is 80 cal, 1/4 cup feta cheese is 80 cal and thinly slized veggies to top.
Preheat oven (with pizza stone if you have one) to 450. The crust is thin so it all cooks really fast, 5 to 7 minutes so keep an eye on it.
Crust 100 cal Flatout Flatbread Multigrain with flax
Mozzarella cheese 80 cal Essential Everyday low moisture part skim
Feta cheese 80 cal Crystal Farms Wisconsin
California Sun Dry 50 cal 2 tbls Sun dried tomato spread
I used 1/4 cup diced yellow onion, some thin sliced baby sweet peppers and sliced mushrooms
That's 310 calories for your mini pizza base. Add some veggies and you can have a pizza that is about 350 calories!

Cheers, Dan

Replies

• nookeetoone
    Options
    Ok but the thing you absolutely cant forget is the oregano!! :p
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    Dan, that sounds amazing! thank you for posting!!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it sounds really good!
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had a pizza on a flat out wrap today for lunch! So yummy and I love that I can eat the whole thing instead of just a tiny piece from a frozen pizza.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Cool, I'll have to try it.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've done this, works really great! I use a 80 cal tortilla by Dempsters though and I usually cut up a slice of cooked ham for a meat, about 30- 50 calories depending on the type :)

Also I use Ragu sauce instead of pizza sauce (cause I typically have it on hand), that is 70 cal in 1/2 a cup... so about 20 calories (or less) for what I use :) In total my pizza is about 250- 300 cal
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wonderful suggestion! Flat Outs are my answer to my love for pizza! I eat them at least a few times a week and I have mastered it so that they really do have the taste and flavor of the regular high fat/cal pizza I used to eat all the time.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have to try this! I LOVE Pizza and grew up with my dad making it every Saturday. Suffice to say that none of us 7 kids ever was 'fat' growing up. He also made Pasta (linguine and fettuccine) on Saturdays. Flatout Flatbread Multigrain w/ flax sounds very healthy!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the whole wheat crust? or what brand? I am anxious to try this too!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion. Flatouts are awesome, especially when they are buy one, get one free at the grocery store (I think they're a little pricey, but totally worth it). I usually do a flatbread pizza for dinner about once a week. A tablespoon of prepared basil pesto makes a great sauce on them, too!
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this Dan, It sounds so yummy and I will definitely give it a try! Looking forward to it, as I also am a Pizza Lover, but then again who isn't ! LOL
  • BrenWOW
    Options
    YUM! I have everything in my kitchen except the tomato paste. I will make these tomorrow for lunch:) ty
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you really loved pizza, you would not humiliate it like this
  • dstuttgen
    Options
    Well gee, I guess I'll just have dirt with a side of dirt. Can't humiliate that, can I?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Neapolitan.jpg

Around 780 calories (my estimate) and worth every bite.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I invented a low calorie pizza last night. I used a 100 cal whole wheat wrap for the crust. I found a roasted tomato paste that is 50 cal per 2 tbls. 1/3 cup finely shredded mozz cheese is 80 cal, 1/4 cup feta cheese is 80 cal and thinly slized veggies to top.
    Preheat oven (with pizza stone if you have one) to 450. The crust is thin so it all cooks really fast, 5 to 7 minutes so keep an eye on it.
    Crust 100 cal Flatout Flatbread Multigrain with flax
    Mozzarella cheese 80 cal Essential Everyday low moisture part skim
    Feta cheese 80 cal Crystal Farms Wisconsin
    California Sun Dry 50 cal 2 tbls Sun dried tomato spread
    I used 1/4 cup diced yellow onion, some thin sliced baby sweet peppers and sliced mushrooms
    That's 310 calories for your mini pizza base. Add some veggies and you can have a pizza that is about 350 calories!

Cheers, Dan
    That's not low cal pizza. That's imitation pizza. Imitation is not the same as the real thing. :sad:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Neapolitan.jpg

Around 780 calories (my estimate) and worth every bite.

Lol. I have to agree unfortunately.

Although for a healthy alternative it sounds like you've done a good job! But I don't think it'd make me crave real pizza any less :P
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

This world is big enough for both. My dh prefers my wrap-based pizza to eating out, so we have it quite often. Ours is more calorific because none of us is trying to lose weight, and it has the fibre my son needs.

I also enjoy any other pizza. 1000kcal + at Pizza Hut last night was enjoyable too.

It doesn't have to be either/or.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Your pizza sounds yummy! Pitas work really well for pizza crust too. It feels a bit more like the real thing, and the calories are about the same as the wraps.

270 cals and amazing:

pita_pizza1web.jpg?w=584&h=389

Goat cheese + mushroom + spinach + homemade marinara
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    wheresthebeef.png