Losing 0.5 to 1 pound per day...Health Risks?

Options

Replies

• poopieslippers
    Options

People are explaining why they haven't done what you are doing. You don't need to do something to realize it's a bad idea.

You cannot build muscle from fat. They are completely different cells. Fat cells shrink, muscle cells grow provided conditions are correct.. meaning surplus of calories, heavy heavy lifting and tons of protein.

You might not care if you are ripped when you are done but you will care when you lack muscle tone, have saggy loose skin, look pale, have your hair falling out, and have greatly lowered your metabolism. I haven't followed your plan because it's unhealthy and I know that. Don't come looking for advice if you aren't willing to accept it when it's contray to what you want to hear.

A friend of mine did pretty much what you are doing.. he was younger than you. Lost weight quickly, was left with a lot of saggy skin at the age of 20, had a greyish complexion, had devoloped issues with his heart and lungs, had very little muscle and had killed his metabolism causing him to go up and down in weight.

If you don't want anyone's advice, don't come asking for it.

This is what I was asking for. Thanks.
    Do you know what sort of heart/lung issues?
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    Sorry for the negative post that I missed.

You answered my question, and I thank you for that. I appreciate it.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well...was going to respond honestly, but you have an excuse for everything...so I smell a troll....sorry but being blunt about this. Evertime someone gives you advice, or tries to point out that you did in fact gain it ALL back..you shoot them down with an excuse...

I am not trolling, people were just not answering my question.

People are answering your question... you are just not taking any of the advice given. People didn't try what you are doing because it is not safe, healthy, or smart.

but you're not answering his question, haha! (nor are you the one person who has a friend of a friend who thinks it's a good idea and has been successful and is doing super great)
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    Well...was going to respond honestly, but you have an excuse for everything...so I smell a troll....sorry but being blunt about this. Evertime someone gives you advice, or tries to point out that you did in fact gain it ALL back..you shoot them down with an excuse...

People are answering your question... you are just not taking any of the advice given. People didn't try what you are doing because it is not safe, healthy, or smart.

but you're not answering his question, haha! (nor are you the one person who has a friend of a friend who thinks it's a good idea and has been successful and is doing super great)

Ugh. ::shakes head::

I thank you for your first post and the link you provided.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Whilst I wouldn't recommend this approach given your stats if you are intent on what is the cusp of crash dieting then do yourself a favour and buy this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

If you've ever heard of "The Last Chance Diet" you know the worst thing that can happen from extreme dieting is death. I don't think you are setting yourself quite up for that but it is something to think about...
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I say go to your doctor on campus and talk with him or her. People who are morbidly obese can lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time initially. There are doctors out there who put their morbidly obese patients on a 1200 cal deficit and then slowly increase calories. So, I reccomend talking to a doctor about what is right for you. I don't know about your campus, but on my campus seeing the doctor is free then you have to pay for any testing or drugs you may need, but they are usually at a discounted price. I've had my doctor do some blood work on me and what not. She's really great and always tries to encourage me to eat healthy and exercise. She also gives me tons of tips as a college student in how to succeed with these goals.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Ugh. ::shakes head::

I thank you for your first post and the link you provided.

Maybe if you acknowledge people trying to help you when they take the time to post and not make excuses as to why people's opinions aren't "answering your questions" then people won't make a joke out of what this post has become.

Good luck, hopefully this time you'll figure out what's right so you keep the 70+ pounds off for more than a year.
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    Whilst I wouldn't recommend this approach given your stats if you are intent on what is the cusp of crash dieting then do yourself a favour and buy this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

If you've ever heard of "The Last Chance Diet" you know the worst thing that can happen from extreme dieting is death. I don't think you are setting yourself quite up for that but it is something to think about...

Thank you for the link.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Honestly? If you starve yourself to potentially lose 5 pounds a week then most likely you will find yourself back in the same place you are after your first huge weight loss in a few years. Eating at such a deficit screws with your metabolism and will cause you more problems when your older and trying to keep yourself on track. Why do you feel it's good to rush it the way you plan to? Listen to the podcasts for Fat 2 fit radio (fat2fitradio.com), they really adress the health aspects, healthy ways to lose weight, and the reality of eating healthy at a healthy calorie range.

for obese people, it really doesn't screw with their metabolism
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 to 1300 calories a day for about 5 months (while working out & often didn't eat back caloried burned, so many days ended up at 1000 calories or so) & yes I had a heart attack
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I have been there and done that. I went from 300 lbs to about 205 lbs by eating 1000 calories a day and exercising every day (mix of weights and using the eliptical machine). Durring the first week I dropped 15 lbs, then about 3-6 lbs a week after that. It just came right off and I was psyched. The problem was I could not maintain that type of calorie loss. I ended up caving in and like a drug addict, when I fell off the wagon, I fell HARD. I can tell you as soon as I stopped, I shot right back up again. Was I as big as I was before? No, but I was close. About 265 at the most.

After that, I decided to try loosing weight a little slower. I cut my calories little by little and it seemed to work just as good. The plus side was my body got used to the calorie deficate because I wasn't trying to do it all at once. I definatly noticed a difference in the way my body looked, even if the weight wasn't dropping as fast as last time.

Now I might not be a good canidate to compare to, beacuse of the simple fact that I am alot older than you. My metabolism is alot slower than that of a 22 year old. Still though, I would suggest though not dropping your calories by so much though. Take it for experience, it will be easier to fall back into old habits if you do.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 to 1300 calories a day for about 5 months (while working out & often didn't eat back caloried burned, so many days ended up at 1000 calories or so) & yes I had a heart attack

what caused the heart attack?
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 100lb in 100 days. During my weight loss my LBM went from 196lb to 204lb in 6 months.

Whilst I did this I was open and honest with the NHS dietician and my doctor. They had no problem with my diet saying that I was eating super healthy, and could afford to add in a few treats if I wanted.

You can get all the nutrients you need on a 1,200 calorie diet.

The biggest problem is that this will be so far away from what you have been doing before hand and what you will be doing afterwards that the weight loss process will teach you next to nothing about what to do in maintenance.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Honestly? If you starve yourself to potentially lose 5 pounds a week then most likely you will find yourself back in the same place you are after your first huge weight loss in a few years. Eating at such a deficit screws with your metabolism and will cause you more problems when your older and trying to keep yourself on track. Why do you feel it's good to rush it the way you plan to? Listen to the podcasts for Fat 2 fit radio (fat2fitradio.com), they really adress the health aspects, healthy ways to lose weight, and the reality of eating healthy at a healthy calorie range.

for obese people, it really doesn't screw with their metabolism

False.
    The obese women in this study lost, on average, 2.1kg of their FFM (fat-free mass, also known as lean body mass or LBM) on a very low calorie diet.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002604950900122X
    (don't really know if you guys will be able to access it, but I can because I'm on my university campus and hooked up to the university WiFi)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the negative post that I missed.

You answered my question, and I thank you for that. I appreciate it.

If this was for me, it was not intended as a negative post - you mentioned getting a refund on your biochem class. I underlined that the info was not correct.

The rest was intended in a more joking manner after your post - I apologise if my post is seen as being negative - my intent is to provide you with the info you requested - the health risk and a very light smatter of the science behind protein synthesis.
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    The last couple posts were more along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks guys. I appreciate your time/help.
  • blancokitty
    blancokitty Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for stopping smoking. I think you can lose weight any way you feel. I am trying hard.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    So, why are you asking questions if you already seemingly know what you need to do? No one is trying to bash you, but seriously it's silly to ask questions and then criticize the answers from people who have experience.

Nobody indicated that they have done what I did (and plan to do). That's what I was asking for....
    I only know of two people who have done it. I am sure there are more. I only dream of losing 5 pounds a week. (Age and the fact that I am female kinda work against me in weight loss.) Anyway, one of my friends is currently losing about 25 pounds a month- which is close to 5 pounds a week. He averages about 3 pounds a week in weight loss. He is gaining muscle, and has a strenuous weight training. It has been about 7 months, and says he feels great. If it works for you, and you don't feel starved go for it. Don't let people tell you what is impossible.

Thank you. This is what I was asking for.

So you were asking for what you wanted to hear to justify your foolishness? A couple of pages of people saying why you shouldn't do this but ONE "positive" response in the form of "someone I know" so not even personal experience? I'd definitely say troll
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would just like to say that any idiot can lose weight--just takes determination (and I've done it many times before). What is the real achievement is doing it healthfully and keeping it off. Please, take it from me (and I have a tale of woe from all my weight-loss trials) don't wait until you've made yourself sick to get the fat off the right way.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You're not listening to everyone telling you that it's a BAD BAD BAD idea.

So I've got a question for you, why does your profile say "Mom on a mission" ?