How has a heart rate monitor improved your workout?

Options
I'm really thinking about getting a heart rate monitor, but I don't want to waste my money. I need convincing. Has it worked for you?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It never did. I just ended up just not using the chest strap. I have since lost my Garmin so I don't have it anymore. Of course, at that point, it wasn't about calories. Now that I know what I know about HRMs and calories, my answer would be the same.

Here is a great topic if you are considering getting one specifically for estimating calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

ETA - in the future as my triathlon training progresses I may invest in one, however, it will not be for the purpose of counting calories.
  • karinwillrock40
    karinwillrock40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link! It was very informative.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it helped other than when I'm running and think my heart is beating too fast and I should stop I can check and see if it really is. If you're counting calories and want to eat exercise back it can be invaluable in knowing what your numbers are.