what do you have for net calories?

Options
i usually keep my net calories under 1000 per day and i was wondeirng if that was bad?? should i leave them like that or up them? i am a little confused on the whole net calorie stuff...

thanks

Replies

• lovetoruninNC
    Options
    My net is 1200, but Im trying to more worry about eating at least to my bmr.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My target net calories is 1800, although I'm often closer to 2000, and I steadily lose 1.5 lbs a week. Netting under 1000 is very low (especially with the amount of weight you have to lose). Your body needs fuel to function properly.

MFP's target already includes a deficit. So, if it sets you at 1500 calories and you set up your goals at losing 1 lb a week, that means it is estimating you will maintain your weight at 1000 calories without any exercise. If you add exercise, it adds in calories to keep the deficit at the same amount.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    How has it worked so far? Do you feel you have enough energy to get your workouts in? Are you starving? Are you losing a "safe" amount of weight? It matters what works for you safely. Not what someone else's opinion of how it worked for them. But I understand why you ask the question. I just realized, I have to see what happens to me and if I like it.
    i usually keep my net calories under 1000 per day and i was wondeirng if that was bad?? should i leave them like that or up them? i am a little confused on the whole net calorie stuff...

thanks
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to net 1591-1600 calories, I use to be at 1250 net in December but I felt crappy all the time so I upped my calories. I am still waiting for my plateau to be over but I have found my size 12 jeans are loose even though I haven't lost on the scale in two months. I have so much more energy for workouts and life in general, it is a lifestyle change so these last 25 lbs will come off sooner or later.
  • emelia_
    Options
    My net calories is supposed to be around 1740 but some days I burn up to 800-900 and have a hard time meeting that (I'd have to shovel food down my throat). I would say 1000 is too low, you may be feeling fine now but out of the blue you're going to have a "binge" day (at least in my case this always happens). And that binge day makes it harder to stay on the weight loss band wagon.

I would at least NET 1200, it might make the weight loss slower but I feel that this is more realistic for the long haul.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    How has it worked so far? Do you feel you have enough energy to get your workouts in? Are you starving? Are you losing a "safe" amount of weight? It matters what works for you safely. Not what someone else's opinion of how it worked for them. But I understand why you ask the question. I just realized, I have to see what happens to me and if I like it.

thanks

You should only net 1,000 calories a day or below if you are being supervised by a doctor.
    It doesn't matter whether you feel hungry or not. Your body may adapt to the low amount of calories
    but it is still not healthy.
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My BMR is calculated as ~2320/day.
    My Harris-Benedict calculation is ~2784/day.

I currently try to consume around 1500 calories per day. I tried doing 1400 for about a month and saw moderate success, but found if I bump it up to 1500 I have less anxiety about what I'm eating and can enjoy a good meal when it comes along, rather than settling just to ensure I stay under some arbitrary figure I picked out of thin air. :)