THROWING IN THE TOWEL??

Options
124»

Replies

• 1956Marilyn
    Options
    You have lost 20 lbs! WOW! I know that you must seem frustrated about the last few weeks but some times we tend to plateau for a while for our body to adjust to things. Don't stop now! You are doing exactly what you need to do.
  • healthyloserxxx
    Options
    Wow, Ed, good for you!! Great job!! You are true inspiration....I agree it is one day at a time, reinventing it every day. You must feel great....good job in saving your life!
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are tough, but you sometimes have to sit on not losing weight for a while until your body starts to drop again. Weight loss will slow down at times, and as long as you aren't gaining, or aren't gaining much, from week to week, you are on the right path. For now, try to keep those 20 pounds off and see how you feel. You can do it!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    "Never give up on a dream because of the time that it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Posted from one of my lovely MFP buddies this morning.

The time will pass anyways, so why not get healthy. Stop focusing on the goal and focus on each day. Make non scale goals and strive to achieve them each and everyday. :) 20 pounds in a month is super awesome.

OMG thats the best quote. STEALING! OP I'm afraid I could be very supportive to you. If you give up what will that accomplish will you be further ahead in a year. Maybe youre being too strict with yourself?
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Try alternating your caloric intake (and eating back your exercise calories). If you lost 20 in a month, you were losing too much, and y our body is reacting badly.

Try zig-zagging your intake. High(er) intake some days, lower intake others, so that your WEEKLY total comes out to a certain amount (NET!!!). Also, change up your exercise routine. Confuse your muscles such that they don't get really efficient at doing one or two things. Try doing things that your body isn't used to -- then switch back. Your muscles have to respond.

That said, also use a a tape measure. You may not lose weight, but you may lose inches, and that is progress, too.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Honestly, you're over analyzing the situation.

You've lost 20lbs in 4 weeks; that is a GREAT accomplishment, and the 1.7lb gain is probably water retention. Weight loss takes longer than a day, think about it, you lost 20lbs in 1 month, that is exceptional. It takes some people 5-6 months to lose that amount. Just be consistent and the weight will drop. You don't have to lose 20lbs each month to see results. The more weight you lose, and the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower the lbs will drop.

Also, try tracking your body measurements rather than relying solely on the scale. The scale reflects not only your fat & muscle, but also water, and waste that has yet to be expelled from your body.

Think about this as a life long journey, you don't want to just lose a certain amount of weight very quickly and then regain it all back within 2-3 months. It's been proven time and time again that slow, controlled weight loss is more reliable in the long term, rather than crash dieting and then having the yo-yo effect with your weight.
  • keldan81
    Options
    Think about reaching your weight loss goal as climbing a mountain. I have never heard of a mountain that is completely one angle all the way to the top. There are little peaks and plateaus all over a mountain. Your body did a pretty steep climb and found a nice plateau to recover on before finishing the journey. As long as you keep going, through the peaks and the plateaus, you will eventually reach your goal.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I think the person ahead of me gave the best advice about weightloss being like climbing a mountain. You are doing great. 20lbs is a pretty big feat. Maybe try adding excercise with weights try kettlebells or something like that to start. Having just the little bit more weight on you when you excercise may burn a few more calories and try upping your water intake more.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that without much change in diet/exercise intensity, I lost nothing for three weeks in December - three weeks! Then randomly dropped 4 lbs. Don't get discouraged.
  • catwomun
    catwomun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about throwing in the towel but quitting will be a sure-fire way to failure. And I don't believe that you are a failure. Eating the proper foods is only one part of the equation. What type of exercise have you been doing? Can you kick it up a notch? No matter how much it might hurt, it will be worth it in the end.
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    Wow, thanks again to everyone who took time to share their stories, tips etc. I am very humbled by the wonderful people here.
    You really made a difference in this girl's day!

Thanks!:heart:
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can do this don't give up I have lost the same 4lbs for the last 4 months it happens please dont give up you'll regret it :flowerforyou:

I've been losing and gaining the same 4 pounds since Nov! Have you come up with any ideas to change things up? I'm starting to be discouraged.
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    Six weeks down, twenty pounds, 1 1/2 inches and absolutely no movement for two weeks. Today, I plan to increase my water intake, increase my exercise *switch it up* and see how this week goes. Something has to give soon. I know these fat cells are very very comfortable hanging on but seriously its time for them to move on out!

Have a happy, healthy day all!
  • trammelgal
    Options
    I can't give you any scientific reasoning for the plateau because I am not a healthcare professional, but I too know the frustration of trying and trying to loose to no avail. It's just really hard to do. Keep on keeping on and one day you will tep on your scale and won't believe your eyes!:) I have heard that some people loose inches instead of pounds. I wouldn't have a problem with looking like a size 10, but the scales say 210.
    Lastly, maybe you don't have that much weight to loose.

Stay strong.

Sincerely, Trammelgal
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Here we are one week after I posted this topic and I feel compelled to say THANK YOU to everyone who provided me support and words of wisdom. I stuck with my plan (although I seriously considered bailing) but I am not a quitter and the end result is that I am again losing! I have lost 2.8 pounds since this post and am very, very grateful to everyone here.

For others reading this, if you get discouraged just know that there a many great MFP members to talk you down off the ledge! You CAN do this, I CAN do this!

Enjoy the day!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,846 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Here we are one week after I posted this topic and I feel compelled to say THANK YOU to everyone who provided me support and words of wisdom. I stuck with my plan (although I seriously considered bailing) but I am not a quitter and the end result is that I am again losing! I have lost 2.8 pounds since this post and am very, very grateful to everyone here.

For others reading this, if you get discouraged just know that there a many great MFP members to talk you down off the ledge! You CAN do this, I CAN do this!

Enjoy the day!

Thanks for the update! Glad you are off the ledge! :flowerforyou: