how accurate are treadmill calorie counts?

Options
hi guys, since the new year has started ive picked up running at my gym. im at the point now were through out the week i'm ranging from 5 to 8 mile runs and the occasional 10 to 13 miler once every 2 weeks usually. im super pumped about the progress ive been making and have lost about 12lbs (that ive kept off lol) since the new year started.

the treadmill i use keeps track of my calories and its a big moral booster lol but i also wonder how accurate it actually is?
the treadmill factors in time/distance/incline/ my weight and heart rate (but the rate doesnt register once you are going over 4mph so i cant use that while running)

im assuming its somewhat close, but im wondering if i should rounding down at all?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    you run 13 miles on a treadmill? That sounds terrible.

Anyway, I found them to be completely inaccurate, usually they were huge overestimates. MFP also overestimated the cals, sometimes by as much as 500 for my long runs. I have a heart rate monitor that works much better, but even that is an estimate.

100 cals/mile is a decent estimate for any sort of running, no matter the pace, but again, it is just an estimate. I am usually closer to 85-90 cals/mile.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    I learned this week that calorie counters on most machines are inaccurate. The only way to get an accurate reading is to wear a heart rate monitor. It is individualized to your specs and will give you a real reading.

I thought I was burning 700 calories per hour on the elliptical. The heart rate monitor (I use a Polar brand FT4 model) says 350-400 depending on my intensity.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are on a commercial treadmill, then the calorie counts will be as accurate as anything else available. They will likely be more accurate that the average HRM (and even most of the better ones, unless they are set up exactly right).

The equations that predict the energy cost of running and walking have been around for a long time and are reasonably valid.

Running on a treadmill will give you a little higher count because of the lack of wind resistance and the "bounding" effect, esp at faster speeds. So it might be off by 10-15%. But that is still more accurate than an HRM.

For the most part, people don't really understand how these numbers are derived--either on a machine or on an HRM, so they tend to go with the "HRMs are best" herd mentality, even when it is not true.

Some machines, esp elliptical trainers, DO substantially overestimate calories. But treadmills are different. You can't lump everything together and make a statement like "all machines are inaccurate".
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If the TM allows you to enter your weight and sex, it will be pretty close; otherwise all bets are off.