DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, AND ADRENAL FATIGUE SYNDROME

Options
I wasn't sure which category to place this topic in.

I am female, early 40s, and have struggled with depression, anxiety, and fatigue my entire life. For most of my life, I have been on some type of SSRI (i.e. Paxil Zoloft and so on). For the past five years, I have been on benzodiazepines (i.e. Xanax, Klonopin) for panic episodes. I have put on 40 lbs in the past couple of years - I attribute this to the drugs, drinking, and overeating. I lost both parents in the past couple of years which kind of pushed me over the edge a bit.

The time has come to wean off of the benzos and SSRIs - I am tired of being a slave to these drugs - they make me feel like a big fat zombie. I started tapering about two months ago. Then, I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome. The doctor put me on hydrocortisone about 30 days ago. My BP has gone up to 150/110 (normal 110/70) and I have been more anxious than ever on the hydrocortisone. It caused a panic attack. Then, I feel it has accelerted my appetite. Right now, I swear I could eat 2 large pizzas and dessert. The doctor told me to hang in there and the weird side effects would subside.

Anyone else in my shoes? I am interested in hearing about people with adrenal fatigue and their experience with Cortef (hydrocortisone). I want to lose that extra 40 lbs.

Replies

• dallas4u
    Options
    bump.

anyone?
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I've only ever heard of addisons or cushings. I do know that I have a mental condition in the same vein as depression and anxiety and doctors will either A: Not prescribe me hydrocortisone or only give it to me for less than a week
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    typically steroids are avoided when dealing with anxiety/depression - however if you are not producing from your adrenals adequately you need a steroid course until your body can pick up normal production.

it seems to me like what your doctor said makes sense - you just have to get through the course. People are going to have highly variable experiences with hydrocortisone because it is used in so many different medical applications. My advice is just to stick with it and keep your physician updated
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would recommend asking your pharmacist how long you should have to deal with the side effects. Pharmacists usually know more about the actual drugs than the doctors do - it's their specialty. If they tell you it's not likely to stop, talk to your doctor and let him know that you need to try something different.

As for the SSRI's... some people simply have to be on them for the rest of their lives. That doesn't mean you have to suffer though - you might have been on the wrong one, or the wrong dosage. I have a family member who had to try quite a few meds before they were able to set her right. It sucked. But now that she's got the right one, at the right dosage, her life is so much better.

My own SAD and GAD are being managed without drugs, but I'm not a severe case.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Mega BAD long term side effects. Thinning of the skin to the point it will tear if you bump in to something. Joints get messed up. Water retention. It's so bad!

If you're capable of coping with life without that drug, I would strongly consider not taking it! Perhaps with eating well, exercise, and good life style changes and support in your life you can combat whatever the drug could be treating. Maybe see a naturopath or herbalist and see if they can find something more gentle and natural to help you?
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have had anxiety and random panic attacks since I was about 13. I refused to go on anything until I had the worst panic attack of my life 2 years ago. It lasted 2 weeks straight! I then went on Celexa and that changed my life. My anxiety has drastically reduced and my panic attacks have greatly reduced and only have lasted like 20 min. It didn't make me gain weight. I was lucky to find one that worked for me on the first shot. Sometimes you have to try 4 or 5 until you find the right one. I feel for anyone that suffers with this disorder.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You might want to find a second opinion about "Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome" and taking hydrocortisone for that diagnosis.
  • ChefTJP
    ChefTJP Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have lived with panic disorder (mild and intermittant) since i was 18. been on lexapro for about 5 or 6 yrs. not sure if my weight issues were due to SSRIs or just stress and depression in other areas.

Not sure about the fatigue issue.
  • navywendy00
    Options
    I'm bi polar and on abilify and effexor. I gained 50lbs since starting them 3 years ago. If like to stop taking them but thats not san option. Hoping to say least lose the weight I've gained on them.
  • LynleyPower
    LynleyPower Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. We're it the same age backet. In November last year I had my left adrenal gland removed because I had Cushings disease. I currently take 30 mg of Hydrocortisone steroids daily - this has come down from 100mg medicated. With Cushing your body produces too much hydrotortisone and this stops your body from processing fats and carbs properly, which equals weight gain - not to mention the 2 or 3 glasses of wine a night that I was having.

I have had to give myself a really big kick and say that I'm not going to use the steroids as an excuse to eat - Goodness, the first few weeks were really hard. I can relate with the family deaths as well, as I have lost my only sister and my mother in the last two years. All this stress doesn't help either.

My suggestion to you is - NO drinking - and if you can't give it up completely ... NO Drinking on what I call a 'school night' I personally am doing 'FEB FAST' so nothing for February at all.
    And try and get out for a daily walk - you'd be amazed at how you feel once you've been out there for even 10 minutes.
    Food... well you know what to do, have a treat if you want just not every day, downsize your meals, write down every thing you eat and see what you can change.

It's never easy but once you start it does get easier - to prove this I've lost 11lb since January
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No drinking for sure.

Have you looked into paleo/primal way of eating.... I have heard it may help with anxiety.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My adrenal gland is functioning, but, I have been on cortizol before. I was prescribed an anxiety med to go with it.. but was to anxious to take them. With good reason actually, the anxiety meds knocked my flat on my *kitten* for 12hrs straight. I was afraid to take them on work days incase I slept through my alarm.
    Yes, they did create a super appetite. I was dealing with some medical and personal issues at the time as well, and I'm afraid I ate for a month straight (junk too... breakfast sandwhiches, triple burgers, you name it, I hoovered it). I'm not sure how much weight I gained at the time, but it was significant. If I ever had need of them again, I will choose foods that are great in volume (like popcorn, whole heads of lettuce, spinach), and increase my lean proteins.
    The good news is that the side effects of medications typically taper off with in3 months (things like anxiety and appetite disturbances). Hopefully, in another week or two you won't notice those side effects any more. (For my the anxiety thing was only the first week or 2, and my appetite only kicked into super drive once I started tapering off the meds).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue by an actual M.D. who has drawn labs and done tests?

Adrenal fatigue isn't really a common or accepted diagnosis in the mainstream medical community. Hydrocortisone is a drug with a lot of nasty side effects, so I would not take it without having details about your diagnosis and what the long-term effects of not medicating would be. I would highly recommend a second opinion by a good internist to make sure you have been correctly diagnosed and treated.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    Actually - the naturopath diagnosed me. I have been exhausted and fatigued my entire life. I was always sleeping through alarms, late for school and work, would fall asleep during school and work, and have been fired from a couple of jobs due to that.

Again - throughout my entire life - I have complained about these symptoms and have gone to MDs. They performed all the blood panels. I was ALWAYS within the "normal" range for all tests. I do not have addison's or cushings.

The reason I went to the naturopath was because I have heard from other people that they sought help from MDs and were "within the normal ranges." Yet felt so ran down. I also have always felt dismissed by MDs. Just because I am in the normal range doesn't mean normal.

Saw the naturopath November 2012 and did a 24 saliva test, full blood panel, and stool sampes. The 24 hour saliva test indicated the adrenal fatigue. My cortisol levels are lowest in the morning. Prescribed 10 mg of Cortef (name brand for hydrocortisone). Felt alert the first week. Then, by the third week, very high BP and anxiety. The anxiety is the worst because I am tapering off SSRIs and Benzos. However, I did use caffeine and drink alcohol. The Naturopath (and even my MD) stated that my BP is not a surprise since I am coming off powerful drugs plus adding Cortef to the mix.

My ultimate goal in the next year is to totally be off all medications, if possible. I am interested in herbs and alternatives to manufactured chemicals.

I have read that paleo diet is good for people with adrenal fatigue and anxiety. I do like the suggestion of no alcohol. I guess its time to nix the coffee too.

I would love to not sleep through another alarm clock and have energy all day. I have a wonderful boss who allows flex hours. Otherwise, I would be late every day.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would be very, very hesitant to take steroids on a long term basis if they were prescribed by a naturopath. I do believe in alternative medicine techniques, but this sounds very dangerous.

Have you ever had a sleep study? It sounds to me like you have sleep apnea, which can be treated by a CPAP machine and requires no medication at all.

Be very, very careful taking steroids -- they are dangerous and best used sparingly, even in situations where they are medically necessary.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised it was a 'naturopath' that did this. There is no scientific evidence "Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome" even exists. Giving you cortisol, causing your appetite to go crazy - and aggravating anxiety and depression, something an MD or DO would have known - to address a syndrome that doesn't have any evidence based science to back it up was stupid. Please see a doctor.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My adrenal gland is functioning, but, I have been on cortizol before. I was prescribed an anxiety med to go with it.. but was to anxious to take them. With good reason actually, the anxiety meds knocked my flat on my *kitten* for 12hrs straight. I was afraid to take them on work days incase I slept through my alarm.
    Yes, they did create a super appetite. I was dealing with some medical and personal issues at the time as well, and I'm afraid I ate for a month straight (junk too... breakfast sandwhiches, triple burgers, you name it, I hoovered it). I'm not sure how much weight I gained at the time, but it was significant. If I ever had need of them again, I will choose foods that are great in volume (like popcorn, whole heads of lettuce, spinach), and increase my lean proteins.
    The good news is that the side effects of medications typically taper off with in3 months (things like anxiety and appetite disturbances). Hopefully, in another week or two you won't notice those side effects any more. (For my the anxiety thing was only the first week or 2, and my appetite only kicked into super drive once I started tapering off the meds).

I take my Celexa at night because it will knock me out if I take it during the day. It solved another problem of mine. I used to have a horrible time sleeping at night and it knocks me out lol. Good luck! I really feel for you having both!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    How is your diet? I'm bipolar II and the quality of my life has improved greatly since I started eating the right number of calories and exercising regularly.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/is-it-adrenal-fatigue-or-starvation/
  • dallas4u
    Options
    I'm not surprised it was a 'naturopath' that did this. There is no scientific evidence "Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome" even exists. Giving you cortisol, causing your appetite to go crazy - and aggravating anxiety and depression, something an MD or DO would have known - to address a syndrome that doesn't have any evidence based science to back it up was stupid. Please see a doctor.

Well, I've been drained and exhausted my entire life. If I didn't have anxiety/depression - I would be willing to try the cortef for a while. I've researched the issue for years and got tired of being dismissed by doctors. I have had sleep studies, blood panels, cat scans, etc. I have been seeing doctors for years - and they either dismiss me or want to give me a temporary patch like a new rx. My goal is to be free of all meds one day (unless they are all absolutely and medically necessary).

I also don't dismiss something because no scientific evidence exists. My past experience has really caused me to be weary and distrustful of standard medicine.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I take cortisone and have been for 15 some years now.... 5mg in the am and 2.5 mg in the afternoon... that is not the dosage my doc likes.....but its the dosage that I have come to find works for me. If you are taking it because your natural levels are low you should not have any crazy side effects because you are just replacing what your body should be making.... all those cray cray side effects that you read about on Google are for people who go on huge dosages for whatever reason. Think of it as a diabetic who needs injections to provide what the body can't... same thing with cortef.

if a doctor prescribed you the cortef.. Id say it's pretty important. I also have to take stress dosage... up my meds if I an under the weather or stressed.