Help! Not Enough Morning/Day Calories!

Options
I looked up my BMR a few weeks back and in order for me to not go into starvation mode and for me to also have enough energy to do my Turbo Fire workouts, I am supposed to eat around 1800-2400 calories a day. The VERY BARE MINIMUM someone at my weight should be eating every day (my BMR) is 1600. But I am only eating about 1000-1600 calories a day, depending, which means I'm in starvation mode! I feel tired, achy, no energy for my workouts, no energy for my day, even. I know I need to eat more. But here's the problem: I rush off in a hurry to work in the mornings, which means I'm grabbing something quick (and thus, small) to eat in the car on the way there. Then, I have to buy my lunches at work (Wal-mart) so again, it's usually something small as I'm on a tight budget. Sometimes I'll snack in between, sometimes not.

Of course, I never had a problem before with getting "enough" calories, as I would snack on candy bars, chips, cookies and such. And for lunch I'd eat cheap and convenient deep-fried and/or smothered-in-sugary-sauce-deli food. But now that I've revamped my diet and switched to 100% whole grained carbs, fresh produce, nothing fried and the like, I have this problem: I'm not eating enough. I suppose the high amount of fiber and proteins in my diet don't make me feel hungry too often anymore, which means I don't really remember to eat. And because healthy food is expensive to buy at work every day. And also because I'm in too much of a hurry to eat breakfast or pack a lunch in the morning. Now, I know that I should just get up earlier with enough time to make myself a good, hearty breakfast and then a wholesome lunch with snacks. But let's face it: I've been trying to break my roll-out-of-bed-and-fly-to-work habit for two years now and I don't think I'm really getting anywhere.

Okay. So then I get home, do my workout, and log all of my calories. And oh my goodness, I've only eaten 300-700 calories so far? But by now it's dinnertime. I've got one more meal to make up all those calories. So I try to pack 1,000+ calories into one meal. I know this is wrong since A) smaller meals make for a smaller stomach and B) bedtime is right around the corner and I don't want to go to bed for the night with a full stomach. So either it's pack in a hefty dinner or--when I'm done eating for the night, how many calories have I eaten? Well, tonight, it's only 979.

One more thing--My calories are often too low, but my sugar is almost always 10-30 grams over. (Tonight I'm over by 15.) It's almost always only my sugar. I guess it's because when I snack, I snack on fruits, which are pretty packed with the stuff.

So what do I do? Does anyone have any morning/day food or drink suggestions for me? Anything you know of that's inexpensive, higher in calories, but also super healthy, nutritious, and low in sugar? (It also needs to be microwaveable or edible raw, as I'll be at work.) Also, any suggestions on super quick foods for breakfast too? Any other lifestyle suggestions you may have (aside from the obvious wake up earlier)? I know I could pack my lunches the night before, too, but I still run into these same problems. What foods to eat during the day and how cheap can I make it?

Replies

• strongerthanFAT
    strongerthanFAT Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal... Whole grain oats, and include nut butter! nuts and nut butters are one of the best and cleanest ways too add in your calories without taking up too much stomach space. Adam's all natural peanut butter is my favorite, ingredients are simply peanuts! :) You can also add nuts and dried fruits, ect. Though dried fruit will add to your not-so-good sugars depending on the brand.

Clif and Luna bars are light and filling but can also pack on the calories without taking up the stomach space. Another place to watch for the sugars, but there's apparently some no added sugar ones as well. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I used to pack my breakfast at eat at work because of time constraints. Oatmeal is easy and microwavable. You can boil an egg at home, and bring that with you - good for a quick dose of protein.

Nuts and cheese are tasty morning snacks, easy, source of protein, and will add calories quickly without filling you up too fast.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan

Make your breakfast and lunch the night before and pack it. Log it too, so there are no surprises when you come home - you will know exactly how much you've eaten.

There are HEAPS of foods you can bring that can be eaten cold or microwaved.

Breakfast: refrigerator porridge. Cereal + low fat milk, smoothies (cut up fruit in the blender jug, store it in the fridge overnight, in the morning just whiz and go)

Lunch: salads with protein (e.g. grilled chicken, tuna). Sandwiches. Cheese. Nuts. Why do you HAVE to buy your lunch?
  • mjnyx
    mjnyx Posts: 35
    Options
    I do enjoy oatmeal, but I don't like it plain. How do I spice up my oatmeal without adding on too much extra sugar?
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you cook, you can make a quiche (I make mine crustless--low carb, gluten-free) from any recipe you like. I make one once a week and reheat a serving for breakfast every morning (takes a minute). It's quick and easy to eat, has protein, fat, and low carb to keep you going all morning for 350-400 calories. For me, it's tastier than scrambled eggs and lots quicker to get ready. I've been eating them for breakfast for the two years I've been on MFP and am not tired of them yet.
  • mjnyx
    Options
    I would like to pack lunches. I'm really bad at remembering to do it ahead of time but it is something that I could work on. But whether I buy it at work or on my weekly grocery trip, I'm still buying my lunch.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You can prep a lot of food on the weekend when you might have more time.
    - Bake some healthy muffins to take to work. Pair with a yogurt/glass of milk and some fruit and you have a healthy breakfast to go.
    - Cut up different veggies, wash and dry some lettuce, cook/bake/grill some chicken. All you would have to do in the evening is throw some lettuce, veggies and chicken in a container, bring some dressing to work and lunch is served.
    - Prep some overnight oatmeal (base: oats, yogurt & milk). It keeps some days in the fridge. All you have to add before eating is some fruit/sweetener/nuts etc and you have a healthy breakfast.
    - Cook more for dinner and pack leftovers to heat up the work the next day.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: it takes, what, 2 minutes? to toast bread. Toast with peanut butter gives you carbs for energy, healthy fats, and a bit of protein. About 170-210 calories per slice, depending on type of bread. Or grab a yogurt to eat in the car: 160 calories for Chobani Pineapple. Lots of bar foods out there that are okay for emergency, on the go meals: Kashi, Clif, Power Bar, etc. Look for one that's heavy in protein to make you feel fuller longer.

Lunch: Since you have a microwave, package up leftovers the night before and nuke them for lunch. Or pick up a Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, or other microwavable meal for ~$1.75-3.00. If you forget to bring one, I bet Wal-Mart sells them. Supplement with a yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, string cheese, or a salad that you made the night before.

I wouldn't worry about going over on sugar if most of it is coming from fruit. Unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar, of course.

If you get home and have 1000 calories to eat and don't want to do it all in one meal (I don't have a problem doing this when necessary), maybe have a cup of tea and a snack when you get home, dinner an hour or two later, and if there's time, another snack before bed.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Add cinammon and stevia to your oatmeal if you like it sweet without sugar.

I find I am much more likely to eat well if I have planned what to bring and eat that, rather than just buying something at work. I also plan my grocery shops with a list etc so I don't come home with rubbish. Oh, and I never go shopping when I'm really hungry, or I end up buying heaps more than I need.
  • janellereese
    janellereese Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy oatmeal, but I don't like it plain. How do I spice up my oatmeal without adding on too much extra sugar?

I add peanut butter, raisins and flax seed to my oatmeal every morning. I love it. Just enough sweet.
  • mjnyx
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on sugar if most of it is coming from fruit. Unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar, of course.

If you get home and have 1000 calories to eat and don't want to do it all in one meal (I don't have a problem doing this when necessary), maybe have a cup of tea and a snack when you get home, dinner an hour or two later, and if there's time, another snack before bed.

I don't have a medical sugar restriction but both of my parents are type 2 diabetic, which means I'll probably be more susceptible if I don't eat well now. I know this is more of an "ask a medical professional" question, but--if I eat completely healthily in every aspect except for the fact that I'm always eating a bit too much sugar, will I still be at greater risk of diabetes?

Also, won't it stall my weight loss to eat larger meals at night and/or to eat too much sugar even though it is fructose?
  • mjnyx
    Options
    eat ice cream or a double cheese burger.

Cracked me up.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

I don't have a medical sugar restriction but both of my parents are type 2 diabetic, which means I'll probably be more susceptible if I don't eat well now. I know this is more of an "ask a medical professional" question, but--if I eat completely healthily in every aspect except for the fact that I'm always eating a bit too much sugar, will I still be at greater risk of diabetes?

Also, won't it stall my weight loss to eat larger meals at night and/or to eat too much sugar even though it is fructose?
    I can't speak to the diabetes stuff, because I just don't know--that's the sort of thing you need to ask your doctor about.

But no, it won't stall weight loss to eat at night. When you eat doesn't matter--your total calories matter. And you could eat a diet of Twinkies and lose weight as long as you kept to a deficit (Google it, it's been done). It's not recommended, because you'd be missing out on nutrients. But fruit contains all sorts of good things for you, so again, unless you talk to a doctor and are told to limit your sugar because of your family history, I wouldn't worry about going over on your sugar because of it.
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you cook, you can make a quiche (I make mine crustless--low carb, gluten-free) from any recipe you like. I make one once a week and reheat a serving for breakfast every morning (takes a minute). It's quick and easy to eat, has protein, fat, and low carb to keep you going all morning for 350-400 calories. For me, it's tastier than scrambled eggs and lots quicker to get ready. I've been eating them for breakfast for the two years I've been on MFP and am not tired of them yet.
    Do you happen to have a good recipe for crusdtless quiche? I would love that for breakfasts too!
  • mjnyx
    Options
    Do you happen to have a good recipe for crusdtless quiche? I would love that for breakfasts too!

Yes, sounds wonderful to me too!
  • mjnyx
    Options
    I can't speak to the diabetes stuff, because I just don't know--that's the sort of thing you need to ask your doctor about.

But no, it won't stall weight loss to eat at night. When you eat doesn't matter--your total calories matter. And you could eat a diet of Twinkies and lose weight as long as you kept to a deficit (Google it, it's been done). It's not recommended, because you'd be missing out on nutrients. But fruit contains all sorts of good things for you, so again, unless you talk to a doctor and are told to limit your sugar because of your family history, I wouldn't worry about going over on your sugar because of it.

Thank you, this actually helps a lot. I've been worried about the sugar and the time-of-day thing for a while now.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I think some people add butter.

To make yummy oatmeal from Old Fashioned Oats...just some things I use....I add 6 whole almonds...for sweetness I use AGAVE necatar or 1 Stevia pack ..I have used 1 teaspoon of sugar free syrup b4..You could always sprinkle some cinnamon over it as well..I like mine creamy soo I mix with skim milk b4 cooking.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Diabetes and High Blood Pressure and Heart disease all run in my family...SOOo I do pay attention to sugar,sodium and saturated fat..I dislike when those areas are in the red..even though the calorie intake is usually almost under..I have found which areas I have to watch because I know what makes me feel energetic or sluggish..soo I relate to what you are saying...How sodium effects me..if I go way over..my body will not rid of any excess fluids or toxins this is soo important to me.
  • mjnyx
    Options

I think some people add butter.

To make yummy oatmeal from Old Fashioned Oats...just some things I use....I add 6 whole almonds...for sweetness I use AGAVE necatar or 1 Stevia pack ..I have used 1 teaspoon of sugar free syrup b4..You could always sprinkle some cinnamon over it as well..I like mine creamy soo I mix with skim milk b4 cooking.

Oo I've never thought of agave nectar. I've never had it or even picked it up for a peek at the grocery store so I don't know much about it, but it sounds good. Someone earlier said to use yogurt--that sounds good, too.
  • mjnyx
    Options
    Diabetes and High Blood Pressure and Heart disease all run in my family...SOOo I do pay attention to sugar,sodium and saturated fat..I dislike when those areas are in the red..even though the calorie intake is usually almost under..I have found which areas I have to watch because I know what makes me feel energetic or sluggish..soo I relate to what you are saying...How sodium effects me..if I go way over..my body will not rid of any excess fluids or toxins this is soo important to me.

I wish MFB let you track more nutrients than it does. I would like to track my sat fats and sodium as well as some others but there's just not enough slots. I only get to track cals, fat, carbs, protein, sugar, and fiber (to make sure my fiber intake IS a little in the red).

Yes, sugar does make me feel more sluggish. Too much of it at one time (without it being tied in with fiber/fat/protein) and I'll actually feel dizzy, lethargic, and unable to concentrate.