pre workout food!

Options
What do you guys eat before working out? For me it would be in the morning so...eggs and a piece of toast? eggs and a banana, porridge and a banana, what should I stay away from? P.s. It will be before an hour of working out

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sounds fine.

stay away from: food you don't like. food you're allergic too.
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    sounds fine.

onviously...aren't you not supposed to eat some certain foods before working out though? Should I add more carb or more protein?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    sounds fine.

onviously...aren't you not supposed to eat some certain foods before working out though? Should I add more carb or more protein?

He is saying you can eat if you want to or not eat if you'd like too. Totally up to you, your body really won't care as long as you've been eating enough the rest of the time and not starving it.
  • elissiara
    elissiara Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I once made the mistake to have a yoghurt and a cup of tea and then realized the only time to fit a workout in was if I went straight afterwards...ergh I felt so sick.
    I normally have two pieces of wheat bread, pb and a banana before a workout.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    sounds fine.

You obviously missed his point, just eat whatever. Or eat nothing. Lots of people work out fasted too. I wouldn't sweat your choices. Whatever works for you. Only real advice I can offer is to avoid anything that will make you vomit during your workout. Seriously.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted and feel better that way but I don't do much cardio. Just a warm up and then weight lifting. When I did a lot more cardio (back before I busted up my ankle), I used to eat half a power bar (peanut butter). It's not like they are great for you but they made me feel like I wasn't going to pass out and sat pretty easy in my gut.

I think it is all a personal preference thing. Whatever doesn't make you feel like you are either going to pass out or vomit. Then eat more protein after the workout.
  • taso42
    Options
    sounds fine.

onviously...aren't you not supposed to eat some certain foods before working out though?
    no.
    Should I add more carb or more protein?

up to you. as long as you're hitting your macros by the end of the day.
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    I didn't make myself clear enough, what I want to know is what's going to give me the most energy?
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    I work out fasted and feel better that way but I don't do much cardio. Just a warm up and then weight lifting. When I did a lot more cardio (back before I busted up my ankle), I used to eat half a power bar (peanut butter). It's not like they are great for you but they made me feel like I wasn't going to pass out and sat pretty easy in my gut.

I think it is all a personal preference thing. Whatever doesn't make you feel like you are either going to pass out or vomit. Then eat more protein after the workout.

thanks! found it helpful
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    I once made the mistake to have a yoghurt and a cup of tea and then realized the only time to fit a workout in was if I went straight afterwards...ergh I felt so sick.
    I normally have two pieces of wheat bread, pb and a banana before a workout.

yum! good idea, thanks :)
  • Camille_94
    Camille_94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually switch it up or I get bored and start to eat unhealthy foods. If its in the morning I usually have a bowl of multigrain cherrios and a banana or maybe some eggs with toast or 2 eggo waffles and some fruit. In the afternoon I like to eat salad (usually with some sort of protein in it like chicken) or a sandwich or a small portion of pasta.
  • taso42
    Options
    I didn't make myself clear enough, what I want to know is what's going to give me the most energy?

carbs and caffeine work for me
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have coffee.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of millet-chia toast with almond butter. I avoid fruit because it makes my stomach hurt if I workout. Then when I get home, I eat a real meal.
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    I have coffee.

I read what you wrote before you edited it, YES, I did understand what you were saying. The fact is I said it the wrong way, I wanted to know what foods have more energy...

no need to be abrupt
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If I am running, I usually do it in the morning after coffee (with cream & sugar) but before breakfast. If I can't leave early, I may have a hand full of almonds. They're packed with nutrition but don't make my stomach full-feeling. If my run is longer than about 75-90 minutes I may eat during my run... sport beans or chews or something.

I eat plenty of carbs and protein when I get back... eggs and toast usually.

If I'm lifting, I usually do it mid-day when my kid is napping. I'll eat about an hour beforehand... most of my meals have 20-40g protein and carbs. Depending on how much I ate before, I'll usually have a protein bar or shake after lifting... within an hour or so (which would make it about 2-3 hours after my pre-workout meal).

That works for me. I always have enough energy.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It's afternoonish when I run most of the time, so I just grab a small stack of crackers to eat with a couple table spoons of extra chunky peanut butter :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I vomit every single time I eat before I work out even if its an hour before... Always eat after I work out.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Checkout Jamie Eason, www.bodybuilding.com great 90 day challenge and recipes,meal plans etc..... Can live by this and enjoy food and workouts! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

In morning I have egg whites, brown rice and green veggies like broccoli.... Add proteins and healthy carbs such as brown rice, sweet potato, or oatmeal,etc....always balance carbs and proteins. Greens help with fiber and regularity . A yummy protein shake with 1/4 c berries is good too. Low sugar will help u avoid insulin spikes and good balance of fats from foods like raw almonds u can add to shake. Have fun with it and keep lite. Eat a snack of protein and small piece of fruit after workout within 30 mins to optimize workouts..... Listen to your body. This is why I love MFP u can track and study your patterns, losses, gains ,inches etc.

Depending on what time U get up, u may just want raw almonds and a few sips of a meal replacement shake. Some folks can't workout on full stomach. Or for me,,,,,my stomach is still sleep if its a 6am workout,so I may keep it super lite and have almonds and some fruit and have a protein shake after workout with half a banana or apple. If evening workout I may have a protein bar an hr before I workout. Then, Get home to eat dinner within 45 mins.i love the GNC meal replacement shakes, strawberry cream! Yum!

It's a journey, so enjoy the ride!

God bless MFPeeps!

Shan, ATL