Who here has high blood pressure?

Options
2»

Replies

• LethainIowa
    Options
    Mine was through the roof a few years ago..and I was a lot thinner then. My whole family has high BP..so I'm not surprised I do. I take 4 pills a day..2 morning, 2 night. On meds it's normal.
  • NewMsT
    NewMsT Posts: 33
    Options
    I have been on bp meds for about 4 years now. My doctor calls me a walking time bomb as my unmedicated averages are around 203/190. The nurses always, and I mean always, panic when I come in because I really think they worry about me killing over in their office. My high bp is genetic but I do hope that losing weight can help out. At least getting to lower my meds would be amazing.
    It does help that I am on a different medication than I was originally on as that one made it difficult to function. With this one I really don't notice anything unless I forget to take it. That results in a really horrible day.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I take 2 different pills. I am hoping to get off the meds. I did get off Lantus and Metaformin for diabetes. I shocked my doctor when my A1C dropped from 13+ in June to 6 in December. I know bp is still high because I sometimes wake up with headaches.
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    TennesseeSodaholic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Who here has 'white coat syndrome'? My bp is high when I go to the doctor (around 145/80). Reason: I hate going to the doctor, and can feel the stress building in me when I walk through the door. Then when it is time to take the bp reading, I get even more stressed because I know it's going to give a high reading and I'll be told I have high bp.. As soon as I leave, I am immediately calm. I take my bp at home and it is normal. I won't take bp medication because I reckon all those high readings at the doctor are wrong due to my stress levels. After all, how bad would it be to take bp medication if you don't really have high bp?
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't have high blood pressure but there was a period of about a year a few years ago that were particularly stressful for me and caused broken sleep patterns most nights. The stress and lack of sleep is what caused a rise in blood pressure for me, changes were made which removed the stress and enabled me to get a full night's sleep - blood pressure almost immediately returned to my normal readings. So make sure you can minimise any stress in your life and get a good night's sleep, it helps :)
  • Kashmir09
    Options
    Who here has 'white coat syndrome'? My bp is high when I go to the doctor (around 145/80). Reason: I hate going to the doctor, and can feel the stress building in me when I walk through the door. Then when it is time to take the bp reading, I get even more stressed because I know it's going to give a high reading and I'll be told I have high bp.. As soon as I leave, I am immediately calm. I take my bp at home and it is normal. I won't take bp medication because I reckon all those high readings at the doctor are wrong due to my stress levels. After all, how bad would it be to take bp medication if you don't really have high bp?

that's me!!! went to the doctor for a minor injury (she's a pal so no reason to be particularly stressed) she took BP and it was through the roof at 180/90 something) ... she insisted on "soft" medication - after check-ups and blood tests there's nothing wrong EXCEPT STRESS - oh YESSS I am stressed out most of the time :explode:
    I got a gadget to measure BP at home and my daily average is in the very normal range - am aiming to get it down even lower to stop the med altogether - main reason for joining here ...
    Get that weight down
    Move Move Move
    Eat healthy

... oh and it seems that the one of best foods to lower BP is BROCCOLI - now, I HATE broccoli :sad: but I am forcing them down my throat ...
    Chia seeds are said to lower BP too ... am waiting for my order to get here :happy:
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    just gone through a gammet of blood test and they come back normal.so i guess im stressed with my bp being high at 150. i lost a lot of weight and it come down from 170 systolic and i felt great at the time i was doing it ....so why the hell do i feel so ill now? i cant complete a workout without feeling dizzy and have been ordered not to workout ......im screaming on the inside as i was doing so well. It hurts to think ive done this for nothing.(i know i havent ...i know lol) i wont give up but im frustrated beyond belief!

right someone book me a holiday stat! :tongue: