A good fitness gift for my boyfriend?

Options
We're not really New Years resolution people but we made one this year to get healthier. I've been keeping up on my end but my boyfriend...eh not so much. I know it's important to him and that's why I'm willing to push. His birthday is next month and I want to get him something that will renew his effort. I know he aspires to be a body builder some day and that his favorite type of cardio is racquetball.

He eats out a lot, so if anybody has any kitchen appliances they would like to suggest they'd be greatly appreciated as well.

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is my favorite weight loss gift I have ever gotten.
  • BadAzzBea
    Options
    Foreman Grill ... I cook everything on it. Its amazing!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A shake weight! Just kidding, if you're willing to spend the money, I would suggest a good blender or a food processor. You can make your own healthy bean dips or hummus in a processor and smoothies in a blender. Hope this helps.
  • joebeauchesne
    joebeauchesne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor - no doubt!

Strongly advise one from Garmin (FR70 with HRT and a footpod if he's a gym/treadmill rat - though I've had lots of trouble with the footpods tending to stop working when I'm on the treadmill - could be ) as they allow you to see the time history over the course of your exercise period when you upload the data.

Note that the footpod doesn't work well on ellipticals, stairmasters, or bikes, so only buy one if he primarily walking or running (indoors, outdoors, doesn't matter - when properly calibrated its can be as accurate as a GPS, even more accurate if you live in a major city or an area with lots of tree cover)

The lower end ones from P**** just give you an average heart rate - but I prefer to see how quickly I react to changes and how fast I recover - you have to spend a ton on P**** to get that kind of data.
  • Snackman88
    Snackman88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    HRM or somehing like a fitbit zip would be cool
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    It's hard with aspiring bodybuilders. Currently competing bodybuilders/powerlifters are EASY to shop for. Look for the protein powder they go through the fastest, find the biggest bag/container of it you can get, put a bow on it, and then ta-da!

I might also consider getting him a giftcard for personal trainer sessions, or a couple months of dues to his favorite gym.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'd get workout gear like a new shirt. It's too hard to choose a HRM for someone else and that's a lot to spend if he doesn't love it.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    New exercise gear, racquetball equipment, HRM, etc. You mentioned that he aspires to be a body builder some day. Does he already have an existing gym membership? If not, that would be a good place to start. Maybe even throw in a few PT sessions to get him acclimated. However, if he's into working out at home, do you have the space to start a modest home gym with a few benches and barbells?

Oh, and as far as appliances, definitely a George Foreman grill and a DIGITAL food scale. Those are necessities (IMO) when dieting. Also, invest in a good set of tupperware so he can have portable meals. This way, he'll be less prone to eating out and can keep a closer eye on his intake.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If he's not into it, getting him a gift like this isn't going to make him start being dedicated. Trust me, I know this from personal experience.

Unless he has mentioned wanting something, I'd get him a regular birthday gift and if you want to get him some fitness oriented stuff, I'd just buy that as a "just because" gift.

Anyhow, HRM, fitbit, Aria scale, food scale, gym membership, new workout clothes, maybe fitness oriented hobby items that he might be interested if (bike, golfing stuff, gift card to ****s, etc. - this is less "in your face"), maybe some consulting-type stuff like Bod Pod testing, personal training sessions, etc.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    that was supposed to say gift card to D i c k s, as in the sporting goods store!

Also, you mentioned about going out to eat - maybe gift certificates to some healthier restaurants.