Looking to start cycling-Suggestions entry level road bike?

Options
I have been doing spin classes for about 2 years now and am really interested in starting to get out do some real cycling. I have looked at a couple of stores here. The brands that they have suggested for a beginner bike are Jaymis, Trek and Giant. I was leaning towards the Jaymis simply because of the price and I don't know enough about road cycling to feel the differences in the bikes. I rode the $699 Jaymis and then a $1500 Trek and they felt exactly the same to me. Any suggestions on where to start?

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, once you're in the "above about $500" category, I don't know that you will "feel" a difference until you get up above two or three thousand dollars. The difference in price between $500 and $2000 will be in the components; how well they last, how easy they are to maintain, etc.

I would suggest spending the extra 200 or 300 dollars that it will cost to get a professional fit on the bike after your purchase.

Also, when putting extra $$ into a bike, think about spending it on things that are constantly moving in circles, like pedals, shoes, wheels. I won't bore you with the engineering principles, but you'd be surprised how much difference there is between a 6 oz. pedal and a 12 oz pedal, or $100 wheel and $400 wheel.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!! The place that I'm looking at buying offers a discount (1/2price) on the professional fit if you buy your bike there. I will definitely do that!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What do you think about buying used versus new?
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Only if you know exactly what bike you want and what size is the correct size for you - and look for only that bike.

It would also be good to know how the bike was used. I wouldn't buy my bike used - it's got 3500 miles on it & it will have another 3500 on it before I'm ready to buy another. If you are buying it from someone that rode their "$$$$$" bike twice and decided it just didn't look good in their apartment, then go for it! If you are going to buy used, make sure to have the bike checked out before you close the deal.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I have a Jamis - the Ventura Race 2012 - and I love it. I was always a Specialized rider before. Basically a bike that fits well will make a massive difference vs whatever componentry is on it.

I always buy my bikes new and test ride everything several times over. Sounds daft but if you have massive hands, the gear shifters that will suit you will be better than the ones for your friend who has tiny hands. Only way to know is to try them out.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    PS re: buying used, you don't know what shape the brake pads are in, shifters, how much servicing it has or hasn't had. So if you do buy used, you need to have it properly serviced, so budget for that too. I just wouldn't buy used - even my husband who is a bike aficionado and can service/fix almost anything won't buy used unless he knows the rider who is selling it personally.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest going to your local bike shop (LBS) and check out what they have to offer.
    A good LBS will listen to what you want, let you test ride several bikes, and make sure you are properly fitted for the bike.
    The importance of proper fit can not be over emphasized. Often times, they will swap out parts to make sure you get what you need.

As for starters, if it's something you are planning to stick with, I would get a bike with Shimano Sora or better components.
    If you think racing may be in your future, then Shimano 105 is the bottom level I would consider acceptable.
    If all you want to do is ride, then any groupset should work fine, but the higher priced ones will generally last longer and stay tuned better.