I learnt the hard way: SAVE YOURSELF!!

Options

Replies

• AddyMaeMomma
    AddyMaeMomma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just weighed in at work for our Biggest Loser competition. Their scale is almost 5 pounds off from ours at home (5 pounds more, of course). I was discouraged, but remembered I had just bought 2 pairs of size 8 pants this weekend after being in 12s/ tight 10s for a long time. So, you're right! The scale is the last place we should look for confirmation!
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Especially when you get close to your goal weight the scale is pretty much useless. Measurements can be helpful but what I've found to be the most important for me is progress pictures. I might weigh the same amount a did a month earlier but notice a huge difference in pictures. Even my current picture helped. I'm bulking and I have a picture of my traps from a few months ago. My old picture looks frail as *kitten* next to this one lol.

Definitely! Pictures, as painful as they are to take in the beginning, always turn out to be the best thing at the end!
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    I totally agree with you! And this is important, because while all the health professionals will tell you that the scale is not the best measure of your success, they will continue to weigh you constantly! My story is very similar to yours. I lost a lot at first, scale-wise, without much other change. Then I began exercising, and the scale barely moved. Meanwhile, I dropped dress sizes and picked up compliments like crazy! My heart and lung capacity doubled in four months of exercise, and I'm off two of my meds. I am stronger, healthier, happier and wearing smaller sizes - and FINALLY the scale is beginning to move downwards again. It's like the scale is the last to know that you are losing weight. Don't let the numbers on the scale discourage you from doing what you know is right for you... it will catch up eventually, and meanwhile, you'll look and feel great!

Wow! You're doing so great!
    The scales will catch up eventually as you said, but they just aren't my main focus any more!
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    You are right! When I started almost a year ago, it took 6 weeks for me to lose the first pound, I started off with couch to 5K. If you are a visual person and need to SEE results, I suggest you measure and weigh. The scale didn't move, but I was noticing I was losing inches because my clothes were telling the tale. You have to just stick with it for sure! Great post! I tell everyone I know starting out on this journey my smilar story. :o)

6 weeks, woah! You're one patient lady! Your story will definitely encourage me to stick to this even more.
    I'm planning to start the C25K late March.
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    Great post. I would recommend only working out intensively every other day, or at least having 2 rest days/week. Rest is more important to your body than working out, if you are working out. It needs time to recover.

I'm just starting with the 30 Day Shred, but I definitely noticed a positive change when I had a day off in the middle!
  • Thanks for this. Your story is just exactly where I am now, wanting to exercise to speed the weight loss. I would have been very disappointed, so Thank you for giving me heads up! Best of luck to you! WE CAN DO THIS!! : )
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    This should totally be on the "must read" list for people starting out. I went into a panic when the scale stalled, but when I measured, I felt a LOT better.

Thanks for posting this. :flowerforyou:

That's so kind of you to say!

Measurements are the way forward!
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    Thanks for this. Your story is just exactly where I am now, wanting to exercise to speed the weight loss. I would have been very disappointed, so Thank you for giving me heads up! Best of luck to you! WE CAN DO THIS!! : )

Heck yes we can!
    Just keep going when/ if the scale stalls, you'll see incredible results. This can be a bit of a mind game!
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Scale hasn't moved for me in a couple of months but I am working out and staying on track and clothes are fitting better and I feel healthy. Just needed the boost this morning thanks.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've been saying this so much. It's a relief to hear someone admit the "learn the hard way" good for you.
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Very good advice. I weigh daily but I know that doing workouts affect this so I never get too stressed unless it continues to go up for more than a week. I also find if I feel a bit discouraged by a number, I usually go to my tape measure often I see that it has either not changed or I have gotten smaller. For people who get totally discouraged by the scale though this is great advice!
  • MrsJSF
    MrsJSF Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can read minds? I went through EXACTLY the same thing, lost a lot of weight very quickly and now the scale is stuck. I will give the scale away asap. Thank you for this. x
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    Scale hasn't moved for me in a couple of months but I am working out and staying on track and clothes are fitting better and I feel healthy. Just needed the boost this morning thanks.

You're more than welcome!
    Congrats on your clothes fitting better! :P
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    Very good advice. I weigh daily but I know that doing workouts affect this so I never get too stressed unless it continues to go up for more than a week. I also find if I feel a bit discouraged by a number, I usually go to my tape measure often I see that it has either not changed or I have gotten smaller. For people who get totally discouraged by the scale though this is great advice!

AKA, people like me! It didn't matter how many times someone told me, I had to find out for myself unfortunately! :(
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    You can read minds? I went through EXACTLY the same thing, lost a lot of weight very quickly and now the scale is stuck. I will give the scale away asap. Thank you for this. x

I try. ;) Maybe I have some sort of physic ability. Haha.
    You're welcome!
  • Pipenny
    Pipenny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post!! It is something that I definitely needed to hear (read)! I had a small breakdown yesterday because I thought I was doing great with my eating and started excercisin and then BAM!!.. Nothing!! .... Glad to know that it is just a stepping stone! :wink:
  • stacyhowell
    Options
    That is so true I feel the same way and needed to see I am not the only one going through this
  • allforthethrill
    Options
    Thank you for this post!! It is something that I definitely needed to hear (read)! I had a small breakdown yesterday because I thought I was doing great with my eating and started excercisin and then BAM!!.. Nothing!! .... Glad to know that it is just a stepping stone! :wink:

Definitely, as someone else in this thread had said, the scale eventually catches up.
    So long as I'm seeing physical changes I'm happy!
  • kates232
    kates232 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear someone get that out there. This is the reason I don't weigh myself except for every couple weeks. It's not worth the anxiety. I feel healthy, my clothes fit, and I FEEL GREAT. That is good enough for me.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm going through the same thing. After losing 40lbs, I started running and then kind of hit a plateau. I started lifting 3 1/2 weeks ago, the scale has barely moved and if it does, it's UP, not down. I've been measuring too and the only thing that's smaller is my waist. It's not much but I'll take it and just keep on goinggggggg to the gym and working on eating better. Like they say, it's a lifestyle, not a diet, and I'm not going to 'quit' anytime soon.
    Good luck to you and may you see big changes soon!