Getting fit while at work!

Options
Hey MFPers,

Just wanted to here some of things you guys do to squeeze in some fitness at work. I use to play chess at lunch, now I play football with my technicians. And walk.

But, a majority of my day is at the desk.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Stairs. My building has a lot of stairs and I purposely take routes that involve more than strictly necessary. When I started it was hard work but 20kg later it's become a habit and I don't even think about it that much, I just naturally choose the route with the most stairs.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Stairs. My building has a lot of stairs and I purposely take routes that involve more than strictly necessary. When I started it was hard work but 20kg later it's become a habit and I don't even think about it that much, I just naturally choose the route with the most stairs.

Good call. We have one set of stairs into our parts room loft. I'm gonna make some trips up there for no reason. lol. Thanks
  • bastgoddess7
    bastgoddess7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I speed walk around the river or the block.
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Definitely stairs - we have 6 floors in the hospital where I work, and I try to go up to the 6th floor at least 3 times per day (I work on ground floor).

Other than that, I like to do some basic stretches at my desk, will go for long walks during lunch break, and have been seen to do some sit ups and pushups on the mats we have in our department ;)
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Have a row with your boss. Raises heart rate
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i do steps while sitting at the desk. its like stationary bike, but you have to lift your feet instead of using the swing/sweep/drive from the bike.
  • joslynlpribble
    Options
    I drag my employees out once or twice a day to do a 20 minute walk. It gets us up and away for stress relief and exercise. I als have access to agym at work. Their hours are not great but I can some times squeeze some time in before work or onmy way home. In my office, I pace around a lot when I am on the phone. I make at least 4trips a day to te waer fountain tofill me bottle. I get out of the office once an hour to make rounds with my staff and other co-workers.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of things. Instead of sitting on a chair I get a stability ball and sit on that. I also use pain cards once an hour. Take a regular deck of cards and on each card write down an exercise. Shuffle the deck and once an hour flip a card and do the workout. My other thing is my job allows us an hour a day in the gym so I do that also.
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm a psych nurse and I work in a unit for patients with challenging behaviour with dementia type illnesses. Where currently in a new building because our normal one is being refurbished. So last night on my night shift, all patients where asleep and I was alone in the lounge. I started squatting and after a while realised we have cameras in this building, I'm mortified someone will see and think wtf is she doing haha.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm a psych nurse and I work in a unit for patients with challenging behaviour with dementia type illnesses. Where currently in a new building because our normal one is being refurbished. So last night on my night shift, all patients where asleep and I was alone in the lounge. I started squatting and after a while realised we have cameras in this building, I'm mortified someone will see and think wtf is she doing haha.

Or you will motivate someone else to get fit because look at what you are doing. =)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered one of the Gaiam stability ball chairs. I've thought about a standing desk, but not sure how to re-arrange for that given the number of files I usually have spread out.

Most days, I take a workout break every 2 hours and do push-ups, squats, etc. or run the stairs. I've got a pull-up bar I can put up but the only doorway I can hang it in is in a very central location so I only use it when I'm by myself (not that anyone would care, but it would be a little distracting).

I also cycle to work 2 or 3 days a week, weather permitting, and walk during lunch.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I walk too and from work - and I've noticed the time it takes is getting less as I lose weight! I've also started doing a walk at lunchtime (unless its raining). other than that I do a short workout to a DVD before breakfast, and another before my evening meal. That gives me over an hour exercise a day even if it is raining, 1 1/2 hours if its fine.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options

Or you will motivate someone else to get fit because look at what you are doing. =)

LOL. Good stuff! And I love the card idea! Thanks everyone:wink:
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I walk and take the stairs I also do desk push ups and standing abdominal exercises. If possible you could bring a exercise band to work and do exercises as well.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I sit all day for my work too (security dispatcher) when I'm at work I'm glued to the desk - I need to monitor all radio transmissions, phonecalls and cameras.

I take public transportation to work and get off a stop early, I have a high desk so I use it for standing push ups and I try to use half my lunch break for walking around.
  • originalkazila
    Options

LOL. Good stuff! And I love the card idea! Thanks everyone:wink:

As a person who has to watch those cameras - I'm always proud when I see people exercising. haha.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I sit on a stability ball, I take a 10-15 minute walk during the day, or if am really feeling motivated, take the stairs from the ground to the 8th floor. (It doesn't go any higher than that.)

And I look at the clock a lot and urge it to hurry up so I can get home and do the real work out.
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work at a clinic that has a physical therapy department that's never used..So I get free reign on the treadmills, bosu balls, weights, bowflex machine etc...Lucky I know but theres a lot more people NOT using it than there are using..
  • tommiirugby
    tommiirugby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    some tips i use at work - i sit at my desk all day

park as far away from the office as you can
    when you need the loo go to the toilet in furthest away and make sure you need to go downstairs
    keep your lunch in the car
    always use the stairs
    get water from the furthest away drinks machine.
    stand up as much as you can
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    First thing in the morning I walk 11 flights of stairs to my office, if I need to go to any of the other floors that my department covers I walk instead of getting the elevator. although I only do all 11 once a day its a killer

I have access to the University gym - lift heavy 3x a week and cardio twice