Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I enjoy adding a juicer mix to my day or replacing lunch with the juicer after something like Thanksgiving... But there is not enough protein in juiced fruits/Vegas for me to survive more than a day without headaches and fatigue.
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Weight loss is not the ultimate goal. health is. Or should be.
    3. People who don't eat alot of food usually lose weight.
    4. We have teeth for a reason.
    5. The digestive system will cleanse itself with real food and time between meals and/or fasting. There's no such thing as a cleanse.
    6. Take something from it and move on. It's a movie. Entertainment
    7. What will you learn or what skill or lifestyle change will you make by doing a week or two of something extreme? Nothing.
    8. Um yea, no.

Well put.

Nothing extreme is good for your body. May produce short term results you are looking for, but they won't last. Moderation is the key to lasting change.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Juice and veggie fasts are great! plus if your eating veggies too you would be fine! there are lots of people who only eat fruits and veggies and they are fine. I did a water fast for 28 days and I was perfectly fine, I didn't die, I lost weight around 34 pounds I think, I did gain some back but that is inevitable, I didn't gain it all back I think once I went back to eating I gained back around 6 pounds. I then got pregnant and gained weight but had I not gotten pregnant I would have kept it off. I didn't lose muscle and my body did not eat my internal organs lol oh and my metabolism is just fine! after I had my baby I lost all of my pregnancy weight in about 6 weeks and I didn't do anything special so my metabolism was fine.

Doing fruit/veggie fasts are great because it gives your digestive system a break, It helps to flush toxins out of your body and it also totally changes your taste buds if done for long enough. after my fast I didn't eat anything fried processed or sugary for more then a year. I slowly started eating crap again but it was a conscious decision. I felt so good while I was doing it. The first three days were hard. I wasn't hungry at all after that. When my body was ready to start eating again I did it slow but I felt great! I had energy I wasn't tired or sluggish.

If your interested in trying it do it, I mean you can always just do 7 days and see how you feel. Talk to a naturopath doctor, Thats who I talked to before doing my fast plus I did a lot of research. A lot of people don't think this is the way to go but for me at the time it was the right path for me. I'm thinking I may do another fast perhaps not as long but we will see. Good luck to you!
    This is what is questionable with your statement. If you "felt so good and great" doing it, then why did you stop? Because you got tired of it? Knowing how "bad" crap was and making a conscious decision to eat it caused you to stop juicing?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Reality: It's a mega calorie deficit diet. Though more micro nutrient dense, some essentials like oils (and yes some saturated fat is needed for optimal body function) and the amount of protein that juicing offers, may not be enough.

There really is no need to go extreme. People do it for a couple of reasons:

1. Lack of patience
    2. Conned into thinking that it magically detoxes, jumpstarts the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Made me buy a juicer ( used) because of the movie , and i'm on a plateau but after a day i was tired of drinking my meals. I need something to chew. i still juice but just add it into my daily meals . my son did it for 3 days and lost 5 lbs
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    choose HEALTHY/FIT over SKINNY
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    How is juicing fruits and vegetables more cleansing than eating fruits and vegetable? You get more fibre when you eat the whole thing. Just a thought.
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have done several juice fasts - or 'feasts' as I call them. In fact, My latest one was for the entirety of January: 31 days!
    I had recently started a new job in which I started to pile on weight, so I wanted to reboot the system and I knew from previous experience that this works. I started out with the goal of 10 days, but I felt so good that i just kept going. In that time, I lost about 8kg, but this was really a side effect. The real benefits for me are increased energy (I can now get through a 13 hour shift without any caffeine or other stimulants without suffering any signs of fatigue, including night shifts) and the lack of cravings - I no longer am addicted to sugar and junk food, which had slowly crept back into my diet in the 18 months since my last juice feast.
    The first 3 days you really do feel ****ty - caffeine detox, massive cravings for all the addictive processed foods, mood swings, etc. But, if you white knuckle it through this period, you then start to feel the benefits - and i find them massive!!
    Get medical advice about whether it is right for you, but as long as there is no medical reason why you shouldn't do it, I say go for it!!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Weight loss is not the ultimate goal. health is. Or should be.
    3. People who don't eat alot of food usually lose weight.
    4. We have teeth for a reason.
    5. The digestive system will cleanse itself with real food and time between meals and/or fasting. There's no such thing as a cleanse.
    6. Take something from it and move on. It's a movie. Entertainment
    7. What will you learn or what skill or lifestyle change will you make by doing a week or two of something extreme? Nothing.
    8. Um yea, no.

I agree with this. Especially #2. I got a long way to go to be healthy, but weight loss AND health are not achieved by going to extremes. It's a process. In my case, a long process. But, everyday I feel better, have more energy, and more confident in myself, because I'm doing it the right way. I don't know everything when it comes to health, but I know enough to realize that God put food here in solid form. And he didn't make juicers. I enjoy juice as much as the next person, but ONLY juice? Refer to #1 and #8.

Here's an article that I found interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2168872/Juice-diet-Flaky-skin-hair-rotten-teeth-The-latest-dieting-fad-pretty-ugly-effects.html
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    Why waste all the valuable fiber in those vegetables by juicing them? Just eat 'em, jeez.

For some reason that's always my first thought when these juice fast things come up. Priorities!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Do the maths on old mate's LBM preservation.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    There is protein and calcium in veggies, especially when they are juiced because juicing uses high quantities, not that I know anything at all about this thread. I have a juicer in my pantry but I do t think it has been used for fifteen years.

There is plenty of calcium in some veggies but there is not a significant amount of protein and the small amount of protein that is present does not have a complete amino acid profile needed to sustain muscle mass (not to mention life!) in humans
    Not true, a widely believed but long disproven myth.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10004624-8.html

.....says the man to the BS of biochemistry lol CBS is hardly a reputable source of scientific information. (This is ultimately what is wrong with the fitness industry today. People believing things that they read from unreliable sources).The only thing I can think of that they could be referring to are complementary proteins; however, if you don't eat the veggies whose proteins complement one another you still will not get all of the essential amino acids. Meat, dairy and a select few others (soy, quinoa, and buckwheat) are the only protein sources which contain all 8 of the essential amino acids IN ONE FOOD ITEM. Also, even if you ate a metric butt-ton of fruits and veggies each day, you still wouldn't get the amount of protein necessary for tissue repair if you are exercising vigorously. Even if you were a sedentary individual the protein yield from the aforementioned diet is subpar.

**** (This is ultimately what is wrong with the fitness industry today. People believing things that they read from unreliable sources).****

OK then, please support what you are saying with a reliable source. Or any source, for that matter. Not more than 10 years old please.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I just had a full English fried breakfast, should I have juiced it to help me lose weight?

:laugh:
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    There is protein and calcium in veggies, especially when they are juiced because juicing uses high quantities, not that I know anything at all about this thread. I have a juicer in my pantry but I do t think it has been used for fifteen years.

There is plenty of calcium in some veggies but there is not a significant amount of protein and the small amount of protein that is present does not have a complete amino acid profile needed to sustain muscle mass (not to mention life!) in humans
    Not true, a widely believed but long disproven myth.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10004624-8.html

.....says the man to the BS of biochemistry lol CBS is hardly a reputable source of scientific information. (This is ultimately what is wrong with the fitness industry today. People believing things that they read from unreliable sources).The only thing I can think of that they could be referring to are complementary proteins; however, if you don't eat the veggies whose proteins complement one another you still will not get all of the essential amino acids. Meat, dairy and a select few others (soy, quinoa, and buckwheat) are the only protein sources which contain all 8 of the essential amino acids IN ONE FOOD ITEM. Also, even if you ate a metric butt-ton of fruits and veggies each day, you still wouldn't get the amount of protein necessary for tissue repair if you are exercising vigorously. Even if you were a sedentary individual the protein yield from the aforementioned diet is subpar.

**** (This is ultimately what is wrong with the fitness industry today. People believing things that they read from unreliable sources).****

OK then, please support what you are saying with a reliable source. Or any source, for that matter. Not more than 10 years old please.

I'm at work so I can't go rummaging through my biochemistry textbooks but how about Medline Plus? I would also like to point out that most of the places you will see chanting that there are plenty of proteins in fruits and vegetables are texts that advocate a vegetarian diet and, in doing so, immediately expose their fatal flaw; they are inexplicably biased. Humans are omnivores and are healthiest when they consume a balanced diet. I would also like to point out that, if veggies and fruits contain complete proteins, why is it that I can sport a lbm of 250lbs+ (and so can a lot of other lifters with meat heavy diets) but vegans, aside from less than a handful of exceptions, are generally immaciated? The answer: because fruits and veggies don't contain enough proteins or the right amino acids to facilitate tissue repair. Why is this even an argument?
  • sammyc59
    Options
    I saw the movie and it motivated me to start juicing. I drink one glass of mean green juice for breakfast, and I eat a piece of fruit. On weekends I usually don't juice. I eat my regular meals, fruits, and vegetables for the rest of the day.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I'm at work so I can't go rummaging through my biochemistry textbooks but how about Medline Plus? I would also like to point out that most of the places you will see chanting that there are plenty of proteins in fruits and vegetables are texts that advocate a vegetarian diet and, in doing so, immediately expose their fatal flaw; they are inexplicably biased. Humans are omnivores and are healthiest when they consume a balanced diet. I would also like to point out that, if veggies and fruits contain complete proteins, why is it that I can sport a lbm of 250lbs+ (and so can a lot of other lifters with meat heavy diets) but vegans, aside from less than a handful of exceptions, are generally immaciated? The answer: because fruits and veggies don't contain enough proteins or the right amino acids to facilitate tissue repair. Why is this even an argument?

the only single source of complete protein is animal. however, by eating the right fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes, one can have a complete protein profile. fruits, veg, grains, and legumes can provide ALL of the proper amino acids necessary to a healthy lifestyle - even necessary to building muscle. and soy is NOT an animal source, yet provides a complete protein profile:

Michelfelder, A. (2009). Soy: a complete source of protein. American Family Physician, 79(1), 43-47.

you are incorrect. it is completely possible to get all essential amino acids from non-animal sources, if you plan well and know your sources.

*edit - i also know numerous vegans, only one of whom would be considered below body weight. you can be fat or skinny on any diet, depending on what you eat.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

the only single source of complete protein is animal. however, by eating the right fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes, one can have a complete protein profile. fruits, veg, grains, and legumes can provide ALL of the proper amino acids necessary to a healthy lifestyle - even necessary to building muscle. and soy is NOT an animal source, yet provides a complete protein profile:

Michelfelder, A. (2009). Soy: a complete source of protein. American Family Physician, 79(1), 43-47.

you are incorrect. it is completely possible to get all essential amino acids from non-animal sources, if you plan well and know your sources.

*edit - i also know numerous vegans, only one of whom would be considered below body weight. you can be fat or skinny on any diet, depending on what you eat.

You needed to read the comments leading up to that one before you commented. All of the information you gave had already been discussed in this thread and, despite your delivery, was in agreeance with what I said. Also, I'm not talking about being fat or skinny, I'm talking about lean body mass, which you cannot have a lot of on every diet.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options

You needed to read the comments leading up to that one before you commented. All of the information you gave had already been discussed in this thread and, despite your delivery, was in agreeance with what I said. Also, I'm not talking about being fat or skinny, I'm talking about lean body mass, which you cannot have a lot of on every diet.

this is what you said on an earlier post:

"There is plenty of calcium in some veggies but there is not a significant amount of protein and the small amount of protein that is present does not have a complete amino acid profile needed to sustain muscle mass (not to mention life!) in humans"

you did not provide proof of that statement, i have provided proof to the contrary. i read all of the comments. and based on your previous statement, was *not* in agreement with what you said. i'm all for a healthy debate, but i don't like when misinformation or opinion is stated as fact because it may mislead other people. humans do not need to consume animal products to be healthy and obtain all of the nutrients necessary for optimum health.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

this is what you said on an earlier post:

"There is plenty of calcium in some veggies but there is not a significant amount of protein and the small amount of protein that is present does not have a complete amino acid profile needed to sustain muscle mass (not to mention life!) in humans"

you did not provide proof of that statement, i have provided proof to the contrary. i read all of the comments. and based on your previous statement, was *not* in agreement with what you said. i'm all for a healthy debate, but i don't like when misinformation or opinion is stated as fact because it may mislead other people. humans do not need to consume animal products to be healthy and obtain all of the nutrients necessary for optimum health.

That is not the only statement that I made. Why don't you look again at the post I made regarding complementary proteins... the one that is corroborated by the site you provided. Please actually find the statement before you come back with all of your attitude.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    [/quote]

The only thing I can think of that they could be referring to are complementary proteins; however, if you don't eat the veggies whose proteins complement one another you still will not get all of the essential amino acids. Meat, dairy and a select few others (soy, quinoa, and buckwheat) are the only protein sources which contain all 8 of the essential amino acids IN ONE FOOD ITEM.[/quote]

Oh look, here it is