Shin splints

Options
2»

Replies

• laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to get pain in my shins when I ran, and I thought they were shin splints, but my trainer told me, no they're not, they are just weak muscles because you are unused to running. He gave me a quick exercise to do, I did it every day for a week, and I haven't had pain since. I also showed this move to my tennis partner, and she did it for a week and never had those pains again. This is what you do:

Take off your shoes. Walk on your tiptoes about 5-10 yards (about across a room). Them turn around and cross the room again, this time walking on your heels only (holding your toes up as far as you can). Repeat this 5 times. Then put your shoes back on, and balance on your yours on the edge of a step or ledge (your heels will be hanging of of the edge). Then, on the edge of the step do shin raises, going as far and as low as you can each time. Do about 20 raises.

This only takes a few minutes. Do it every day for a week before you run (or even on days you're not running). After that the pain should stop. And you can do the stretches if your shins start to hurt while you're running.

I hope this helps! They definitely helped me!
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have this problem. I had this happen to me also when i started working out and it was incredibly painful and very frustrating. I actually got mine from zumba. My instructor is a bit high on the intensity and there is a lot of jumping and bouncing. I bought new shoes and also asked my doctor. The only solution was don't do the activity for a period of time, etc and then i would go back on day 1 just like you and have the same thing. i don't have much advice, but do understand how you feel. i did try looking online for some stretches you could do, as well as used a massager on them and that helped sometimes.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My two cents....:)

I never had really awful shin splints or calf cramps, but I did get them at first. I found that when I improved my gait: shorter strides and landing mid-foot, and drank more water it got better. I drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, 10-12+ glasses on exercise days. I try to get in 2-3 glasses in the 2-3 hours before I run, if I run in the evening. I usually use a treadmill (especially in winter), and keep a water bottle handy during my run as well.
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For the cramping, it is possible you are low on potassium! Try eating bananas. Also, my doctor told me to drink tonic water. It is a bit nasty, but whatever is in it helps with cramping. (She tells her elderly patients to try it.)

That greatly reduced my cramping.

As far as shins, I have been having problems, too. I know you don't have a lot of money, but compression socks (not the diabetic kind) helped me. In addition to icing and resting. You just might have fractured your shins, which will suck, but as least you can have it fixed in a few weeks.

Also, here is another tip my doc gave me: Get an elastic band and make a knot. Put an edge under a door or leg of a table. Sit with your feel forward, and put the band around one foot. Stretch the band. Then point your toes TOWARD your face. It won't go far, but it will exercise the muscles around your shins and strengthen the muscles.
  • cparkburke
    cparkburke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Shin splits have been correlated to:

Running with heel strike.
    Long stride.
    Heavy weight.
    Flat feet.
    Tight calves.
    Going uphill or downhill.
    Leaning forward or backwards too much.
    Hard ground.

Suggestions:
    (1) Weight loss should help... just stay consistent and patient about it. :-) Shin splints are very common for my tall, heavy friends. Fortunately, you don't have to worry about the tall! :-)
    (2) Stretch your calves. Learn to use a foam roller or tennis ball to work out knots and hot spots.
    (3) If you have flat feet, try asking for shoes or inserts with arches. You can also try orthotics.
    (4) Check your running form with a coach who is familiar with POSE or ChiRunning. This will address your stride, foot strike, and leaning. You will also learn to relax into good posture.
    (5) Try skipping, jump rope, or running on your toes for 10 seconds at a time, and see if you're sore the next day. These will help strengthen your feet for a midfoot or fore-foot strike.
    (6) Can you walk fast on flat trails? If you can, go for a walk, throw in 1 or 2 10-second runs, and see if you're sore. Don't overdo the running... just try to see if there"s ANY amount of running, no matter how little, that won't make you sore.

Hope that's helpful!
  • shooter560
    Options
    Given you're in the UK, I'd suggest a trick I know some use. Pop along to your local store that does gait analysis and get checked out, see if they say you're neutral, prognated or over prodnated, don't forget to leave your purse at home ;) you can then go home and check online for trainers suitable for your needs. JB Sports have loads of last years trainers at silly money but you need to do checking online as they have no idea what gait they are suitable for.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem to much to soon in my case. Now I;m down with shin splints. A friend of mine is a sports injury 'whatever their called' and she gave me a couple of tips on how to improve my chins.

- After every training session get your ice pack and hot water bottle on your chins (5 min cool, 5 min hot, 5 min cool and 5 min hot, 20 min total) I know it sounds weird but it really helps

- get a can and put it on the floor in front of you. Move it with your foot backwards and forwards (go as far away as you can and as far under your body as you can, roll your foot on top of the can) do this about 3 times a day for a couple of minutes (I got a can under my desk :D)

- put ankle weights on your toes or anything heavy that you can strap to your toes, sit down and hold your leg slightly off the ground. lift the foot quickly as far up as possible than lower it very slowly (do this 15 times 3 sets, 2 times a day)

- stand on one leg a couple of times a day (like when cooking or brushing your teeth) its not to strengthen your chins but to get your brain and leg muscles interacting better, will make you a 'better' runner, so you place the foot the way you should. It will hurt while you got the chin splints but work through it it will get better... also after a couple of weeks close your eyes when doing this (maybe not when cooking)

I'm doing these for about a week now and they start working. Good luck
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    also she told me to stop the running and jumping for the time being. Maybe for 2-3 weeks until it is getting better. Very lame Cardio exercises like sidesteps are now my regime (these can actually help with your foot placement when running as well)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    5-10 minute warmup.

Brand new shoes

Lower treadmill incline to --2.0 or more.

That should fix it.