BInging problem!

Options

Replies

• estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have had the exact same experience for about the last year...I do really well all week then the weekend hits and I stuff my face!!! I have been stuck at 10 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight for over a year now! I started a tumblr blog and I'm posting a picture of every single thing I eat/drink except all my water. That way I know if i eat it that all my fitness friends on tumblr will see it. Let's hope it works!
  • fkwilhelm
    fkwilhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Willpower is easier said then done if you actually have a life.

It is important to observe yourself under what situations you binge. Try to avoid them, which will not work completely. For those that are left, try to find another outlet than eating. Self-observation can be done by carrying a little notebook with you and when it happens, write down how you feel.

I have read that binges are induced by eating combinations of fat and sugar - that is a combination our body finds confusing as it does not occur in nature. If your body gets it, it easily wants more. So separating these is a good idea - cut out sweet pastries etc.

Also, getting on a slower weight-loss plan may help as you are easing your appetite down rather than fighting with yourself.

My own problem with binging occurs when I travel and am otherwise stressed or confused (travel usually means: across the atlantic) and I have made some plans to avoid it on the next trip.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think removing temptation as far as you can and asking your family to eat their treats when you're not around may help.

10lbs isn't a lot, you could have that gone in 3 months if you really put your mind to it. Why not set yourself a date to have lost it by and set a reward if you do - that might give you the focus to say no when the sugar calls!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OP, what's your average daily calorie intake like? If you're highly restrictive on most days of the week it can bite you in the *kitten* with a binge. Don't deprive yourself of anything unless there is something you truly just can't eat without binging.

My recommendation, since you only have 10lbs left to lose, small deficit from TDEE, like 0.5lb/week deficit. Set up some macros that will help you achieve your goal, most likely about 0.8g protein/lb of bodyweight is a good start and 0.3g fat/lb of fat, fill the rest in however you want with carbs. As long as you're hitting your macros and staying within your calorie goal you should see that weight come off. If you're not depriving or restricting yourself on a daily basis, it might help alleviate some of the binging tendencies.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate so I keep a stash of hersheys bliss dark chocolate pieces and will eat 1-3 pieces and that satisfies my desire without sabataging my diet.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I think it is great to have feast days that celebrate food and fun and friends and family. But a binge under unhappy or unhealthy, unsatisfying circumstances is no way to enjoy food.

So I am saying, plan for feast days under joyful circumstances, and enjoy plentiful, healthy treats! But use your other days to eat at a deficit, and increase in fitness through exercise.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've recently started to journal and write down why I want/don't want to overeat/binge and how it makes me feel when I do. It sounds really lame, but it's helping me keep in control of my feelings around eating. I also stopped buying the things I kept making and eating too much of, which actually sounds easier than it is.

There are a lot of people who overeat because they were bored or were never educated on nutrition or calories in calories out. But for those of us who know better but suffer every day because of trama in our lives, need a little more than just waking up tomorrow with a more positive attitude.

I hope you can ignore the people who have been fortunate enough to never know what we're going through. Their ignorance must be bliss.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can be a serious problem, aggravated by dieting. You need to understand your relationship with food, and your emotions. Dieting and logging every single mouthful of food can aggravate the problem as logging the food can be come as compulsive as your binging. Get some help. There are some good self help books... one is "overcome your binge eating" Sorry I can't remember the author. You can fid it on amazon. Hope you come out the right side of this...wishing you well
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Willpower is easier said then done if you actually have a life.

You associate food with having a life?
    It is important to observe yourself under what situations you binge. Try to avoid them, which will not work completely. For those that are left, try to find another outlet than eating. Self-observation can be done by carrying a little notebook with you and when it happens, write down how you feel.

Again, willpower and priorities. When I was losing I did not avoid a single social or professional situation. Family meal gathering? I packed my own food. Parties? Ate prior. Travel? A little research and you can identify where and what to eat ahead of time with minimal effort. Priorities.
    I have read that binges are induced by eating combinations of fat and sugar - that is a combination our body finds confusing as it does not occur in nature. If your body gets it, it easily wants more. So separating these is a good idea - cut out sweet pastries etc.
    I would love to see the source of this information. I'm going out on a limb here and am going to assuming it's not from any sort of peer reviewed study or studies, but from a "Self-help" book.
    Also, getting on a slower weight-loss plan may help as you are easing your appetite down rather than fighting with yourself.
    This is legit, but again it's about priorities.
    My own problem with binging occurs when I travel and am otherwise stressed or confused (travel usually means: across the atlantic) and I have made some plans to avoid it on the next trip.

Willpower and priorities.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Binge eating can be a serious problem, aggravated by dieting. You need to understand your relationship with food, and your emotions. Dieting and logging every single mouthful of food can aggravate the problem as logging the food can be come as compulsive as your binging. Get some help. There are some good self help books... one is "overcome your binge eating" Sorry I can't remember the author. You can fid it on amazon. Hope you come out the right side of this...wishing you well
    Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr. Christopher Fairburn (very technical, not easy to read but so worth a read)

I have read this book myself and need to read again. Most libraries have this book so you don't have to buy it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Below are some more books you may find useful. I have not read these but I have listened to some of Geneen Roth cds.

Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen
    Eat What You Love - Love what you Eat by Michelle May
    Anatomy of a Food Addiction by Anne Katherine, M.A.
    Codependent No More by Melody Beattie
    Any book by Geneen Roth
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I've recently started to journal and write down why I want/don't want to overeat/binge and how it makes me feel when I do. It sounds really lame, but it's helping me keep in control of my feelings around eating. I also stopped buying the things I kept making and eating too much of, which actually sounds easier than it is.

There are a lot of people who overeat because they were bored or were never educated on nutrition or calories in calories out. But for those of us who know better but suffer every day because of trama in our lives, need a little more than just waking up tomorrow with a more positive attitude.

I hope you can ignore the people who have been fortunate enough to never know what we're going through. Their ignorance must be bliss.
    A very good start dear.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with you and it really didn't change completely until I began using MFP but it certainly improved once I began exercising.

I find exercising makes me feel less hungry throughout the day because my body craves water more, which sometimes is what you can mistake hunger for. And also you feel healthier and fitter once you get into a routine of exercise, so even if a chocolate bar is waved in front of you, you tend to feel sick at the idea of that much sugar rather than crave it.

But like I said, it didn't totally go away until I started using MFP because now I am so much more interested in the food I eat. I still snack but I tend to eat healthier options such as yoghurts rather than chocolate. I also found it helped once I stopped taking sugar in my coffee because now if I have too much sugar I feel sick whereas before I craved sugar because I was used to it in my diet.

My main tips for you would be to try to cut out as much sugar as possible in your normal eating habits as then when you have an overload of sugar in the form of ice cream, chocolate, etc. you wont need half as much to satisfy you OR it'll make you feel sick and put you off of it in the future.
    Also, buy tasty fruits and put them out on the surface in your kitchen, that helps me when I feel like I want a snack because I grab 2 clementines now instead of rushing for the chocolate stash!
    Also, to begin exercising if you aren't already because it really gives you a different out look on what you are putting into your body.

I know it's hard with temptations, I am a live in nanny so surrounded by junk food that the children eat but I do (99%) of the time manage to avoid it or have it moderately whilst incorporating it into my daily calorie allowance. This helps too because I realise a tiny cookie/piece of brownie has enough calories in it sometimes for me to have eaten a whole sandwich or 3-4 pieces of fruit. When you are faced with being hungry you tend to want quantity over quality!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love dark chocolate so I keep a stash of hersheys bliss dark chocolate pieces and will eat 1-3 pieces and that satisfies my desire without sabataging my diet.

I do this too, I keep it in my bedroom for when I feel the need to have a midnight snack and 3-4 squares of a dark chocolate bar is normally enough to satisfy me.
    I am saving heaps of money in chocolate! Haha.
  • kaylaawillis
    kaylaawillis Posts: 6 Member
    Options

A little bit of dark chocolate can go a long way.. I like to incorporate cocoa nibs (plain or covered in dark chocolate) into my diet every now and then. Yum!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, when bingeing was a problem for me, I made a deal with myself. I would go to the store and select all the items for a binge. Then I would add up the cost and give it to a charity, leaving the items in the store. It was just a way to see how something I didn't need or really want at all (because once you're eating it, you feel like crap about it, so you don't really want it) could serve someone else.

It was just one thing along the way.
  • Katiedid717
    Katiedid717 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with binge eating too. What I did to slow/stop it was kept carrot and celery sticks in the fridge - nothing like the way you feel after eating half a pound of veggies to make you re-think it next time!
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater as well in the past, and I still struggle with it. Cakes and cookies and bread are my triggers. I do it far less often now, but it still happens occasionally. I DO have will power, or I wouldn't have lost 81 lbs without any drugs or appetite suppressants--through diet and exercise ONLY...BUT I still fail at times--almost always when I'm either very stressed/unhappy or very happy/relieved after a stressful/unpleasant occurrence is over.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am also a binge eater!! I am trying to maintain my weight (harder than losing for me). When losing - I just said NO!! Now I can have something small every once in a while but... this sometimes turns into an all out food frenzy. I ate w/out thinking, feel full and keep eating. Like my body has been taken over. I know that if this happens, I get right back on track the next day. I feel like crap for a few days but... muddle through.

I saw this quoter which I like:

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I second the Brain Over Binge recommendation, great book.