Success People: How did you overcome food temptations?

Options

Replies

• OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Research the food that's tempting you. Understand why it is bad for you. Knowing that can dampen the temptation and help you make better choices.
  • lucinda1098
    Options
    I find it takes 3 days of not eating sugar and eating sweets and drinking wine to get over the cravings. After that it is a lot easier. I think it gets out of your system and then you no longer crave it. You just have to tough it out at first and then it is not so bad and you are used to it.
  • tinawhitlock
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, and there have been many other answers to this question (I didn't read them all).

I have to think about it and convert the calories into eliptical minutes of calorie burn. I have learned that many of the DQ mini blizzards are around 300 calories, and I think, is that really worth 30 minutes on the eliptical trainer? some days yes... others NO. I have also leared to plug something into MFP BEFORE I eat it. One day I had a cookie from a deli.... yeah it was 380 calories. I wasn't too happy, and NO it wasn't worth it.

I think you really just have to think about it and plan vs. just eat it.

Good luck on your journey to a new lifestyle.
  • DanielleHinkle24
    DanielleHinkle24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I cut out all products containing sugar - real and artificial. Sugar is evil and causes food cravings. :devil: Just my opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    In the beginning....

Chart out all the food you will eat tomorrow, and then tomorrow eat that food; Don't eat other food. Not in the plan, don't eat it.
    Repeat. Over and over again.

Of course there will be days that for whatever reason, you will not be able to have full control over what food is available. In those cases, make the best decisions you can.

This actually works! I record my food the day before alot or very early in the morning. If I am tempted to eat something other than what is logged, I think of how long I will have to do Jillian Michaels to burn it off. There are times that I stray, but this usually works.

I also pre-record my workouts on the days that I don't feel like working out. Since I have my workouts in my newsfeed, I feel forced to do them. When your friends tell you how great you did no matter how much you may not want to workout, you will feel like a jerk if you don't. I have NEVER missed a pre-recorded workout like this. I have ended up working out a few times at like 10pm just because of this.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I don't refuse myself anything...I just portion control and work at least one 'treat' in every day. I eat ice-cream every single night before going to sleep. I know I am going to have that and I work it into my calories and macros - it makes resisting much easier.

Me too!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Some of these already covered but this works for me:

1) Read labels and log everything. Is the 400 calories of Doritos and Soda really worth so much of my daily caloric goal? Or will I feel better and more full with a big piece of roasted chicken with a favorite vegetable?

2) Don't buy it. I had trouble with eating too much butter or milk, so I stopped buying those items. Much easier to fight temptation if you need to leave the house to indulge.

3) Look at yourself in a larger, technical scope. My body is a system, and if I put the correct fuel in it the system runs and performs optimally. Eventually, for me anyway, the desire to eat things that give short term satisfaction instead of long term benefits subsided and I begin to crave things that benefit the system.

4) ALWAYS ask yourself, will this food make me feel great for 20 minutes? Or will this food make me feel amazing and proud of myself all day? Think, choose and live long-term.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking food is a reward or that it's a pleasure thing. Food has no emotions. It's fuel.

this exactly
  • mbar10025
    Options
    In the beginning....

Chart out all the food you will eat tomorrow, and then tomorrow eat that food; Don't eat other food. Not in the plan, don't eat it.
    Repeat. Over and over again.

Of course there will be days that for whatever reason, you will not be able to have full control over what food is available. In those cases, make the best decisions you can.

that is EXCELLENT advice!
  • mbar10025
    Options
    yes, i always put it in MFP first... then decide if it's worth it :) sometimes the temptation wins out at least a little bit --- like i saw that a cookie was 440 calories (YIKES! can you believe that?!) - but i wanted it SO bad.... i tore off a corner of it (1/4 cookie) and let that be my indulgence.
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.

I know it sounds simple, but it worked for me. If I don't keep doritos (the worst culprit for me) or whatever in the house, I can't gorge myself when I get tempted.

^This.

I don't buy things that will tempt me. Of course, when you're at work, at a friend's house, or anywhere else outside your own home, temptations arise. I eat in moderation. For example, someone brought in donuts to work today...I totally cut about 1/8 of the donut and ate it on my way back to my desk. Luckily, many of my coworkers are watching their waistlines, so many of us will take samples so I don't feel as bad about mutilating said donut.

Do I do this EVERY time there's less than healthy food around? No. Sometimes you just have to put that self-control into practice and just walk away. But we all know that's generally easier said than done or most of us wouldn't be here... ;)
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Try not to make foods you like totally off-limits, and try to eat/drink everything in moderation. If I know I can eat it, then I won't feel like I have to eat a lot of it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I don't refuse myself anything...I just portion control and work at least one 'treat' in every day. I eat ice-cream every single night before going to sleep. I know I am going to have that and I work it into my calories and macros - it makes resisting much easier.

Ditto :)
    Although I am still very much so on my journey! But this has worked for me so far.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.

I know it sounds simple, but it worked for me. If I don't keep doritos (the worst culprit for me) or whatever in the house, I can't gorge myself when I get tempted.

^This.

I don't buy things that will tempt me. Of course, when you're at work, at a friend's house, or anywhere else outside your own home, temptations arise. I eat in moderation. For example, someone brought in donuts to work today...I totally cut about 1/8 of the donut and ate it on my way back to my desk. Luckily, many of my coworkers are watching their waistlines, so many of us will take samples so I don't feel as bad about mutilating said donut.

Do I do this EVERY time there's less than healthy food around? No. Sometimes you just have to put that self-control into practice and just walk away. But we all know that's generally easier said than done or most of us wouldn't be here... ;)

I have learn to not open up the pastry box to see is inside. If I don't see it, I don't know it's there; If I don't know it's there, I am not tempted; If I am not tempted, nothing to overcome.
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Preplan Everything!!! HUGE for me....I started with cooking all my meals in the AM for that day...but now have advanced to 5 day preps....Leaves no room for error....Good luck to you and always go to the store after a hard workouts....Trust makes a ton of difference..
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just a quick followup to echo the PLANNING element. On days when I'm feeling tempted, less choices and predetermined/prepped food for the day make it SO much easier.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'm ready to do it now. :glasses:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    honest to God.. in the beginning i would cut out entire foods to prove i could live without them then later learn to eat them in moderation... foods like bread, pasta, ice cream, cookies, cake, etc i would cut out entirely to prove i had self control then i slowly re-introduced all of them... except ice cream i dont eat that any more and it was my favorite food out of all those but i just cant eat it in moderation.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I removed temptation by not buying most things that would normally tempt me, such as sugary, fatty coffee drinks, ice cream, potato chips, etc. I replaced them with almond milk in my coffee, frozen fruit instead of ice cream, and healthier munchies, including veggies. A lot of it is just willpower, and making sure you don't completely deny yourself. I still have a small chocolate bar every now and again, one of my great weaknesses, but overall, I've gotten really good at saying no to things. I also echo everyone saying preplan. I plan my meals at least the night before so that I know exactly what I'll be eating throughout the next day. good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!