ready to add free weights to my workout...

Options
I have been lingering for a while now and have seen that "generally" people advise using free weights over the machines. Having said that, I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. I have a gym membership and do cardio on the treadmill and various classes that are offered. I cannot afford a personal trainer at this time.

Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    one book that comes up repeatedly here is "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It's the first thing I will read when I'm ready to start lifting weights. (right now I'm working on body-weight exercises, first)
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I checked out the website. I'm going to pick it up. :flowerforyou:
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I second New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can get the book on Amazon for a little over $12. It's a six month program that is divided into 7 stages, each stage being a different group of workouts. It starts you off slow and steady so that you can really learn the form for each workout before you pile on the weights. I honestly just started it myself not too long ago, but I'm already loving it. I've seen some amazing results from other gals who pushed themselves and lifted HEAVY. The author of the book really encourages you to step outside the normal female comfort zone of 5-10 lb. weights and emphasizes that women shouldn't be lifting any differently than men (yes, we generally can't lift as much weight, but I bet most women can lift more than they think they can). Anyway, give it a try, most people that have seemed to enjoy it :)
  • grammiejul
    grammiejul Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I second New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can get the book on Amazon for a little over $12. It's a six month program that is divided into 7 stages, each stage being a different group of workouts. It starts you off slow and steady so that you can really learn the form for each workout before you pile on the weights. I honestly just started it myself not too long ago, but I'm already loving it. I've seen some amazing results from other gals who pushed themselves and lifted HEAVY. The author of the book really encourages you to step outside the normal female comfort zone of 5-10 lb. weights and emphasizes that women shouldn't be lifting any differently than men (yes, we generally can't lift as much weight, but I bet most women can lift more than they think they can). Anyway, give it a try, most people that have seemed to enjoy it :)

And I second everything said about NROLFW! I got the book for Christmas and have been using it since. I am somewhat as beginner and it's easy to understand the exercises. I really enjoy it. I don't progress as quickly as most, but I have fibromyalgia and have to progress slowly.

There's two MFP groups, that I know of:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

That one is for all stages of the program, the next is for those just starting in 2013:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10437-2013-nrol4w
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I am going to order the book today and check into the groups.
    Good luck to you grammiejul!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

And I second everything said about NROLFW! I got the book for Christmas and have been using it since. I am somewhat as beginner and it's easy to understand the exercises. I really enjoy it. I don't progress as quickly as most, but I have fibromyalgia and have to progress slowly.

There's two MFP groups, that I know of:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

That one is for all stages of the program, the next is for those just starting in 2013:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10437-2013-nrol4w
    Awesome! I need to pick this up, currently I'm doing machines other than hand weights and really want to switch over. I learn well from books so this might be a great thing for me to take a look at and then put into practice.

Thanks for the mention once again and for the group links!:flowerforyou: