A whole day's food

Options
Ok, Lovely People. Advice Needed.
So, due to stupid landlords and stupid tenancy agreements I have had to move out of the not only lovely but also incredibly convenient house I DID have 10 minuted walk from uni and have had to move home, 50 miles away.

I only need to go in on a Monday and Wednesday, so it’s not as bad as it could have been. But my issue is this - I need to take food to last me all day, as I will be out of the house for a good 10 - 12 hours each day, - that is Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or have any advice about what they take to work.uni etc.

I tend not to eat meat and I’m trying to follow weightwatchers, although am happy for suggestions just to be healthy and I can pick and mix etc.

Tomorrow I am having -

cereal bar, apple and banana (am trying to stay away from cereal bars as I don’t think they are especially nutritious, or worth the money

Chipotle pasta salad (made by my fair hands)

sunbite crisps and carrot sticks.

I do not have a singe clue as to what to have for dinner though, as I will not be back in my house until at least 9pm.
At uni all I really have access to is hot water, some days I may be able to get food from the salad bar, but I am also trying to save money.

I am sorry to go on for so long, but I do hope you can help me

Replies

• THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like to make breadless "sandwiches" by rolling up fillings of my choice (usually avocado and cheese) in sliced meats (like roast beef). Boiled eggs are good for traveling too. Nuts, seeds, cheese slices, and Tupperware containers filled with "chef" style salads, cooked veggies, stir fries and rice, etc. Leftovers from the night before are great for this purpose. Beef jerky, especially if you make your own without all the additives. Maybe some trail mix. Maybe some dried fruit without sugar added.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    One of my favorite on the go dinners is a wrap. I bake 4-6 b/s chicken breasts every Sunday night (just took them out of the oven!), My son and I use them for salads, wraps, quick and easy meat/veggie mixtures. Toss 3oz in a whole wheat tortilla with low fat shredded cheese, some flat leaf spinach, pickles, peppers, onion... whatever is in the fridge.

One of my favorite things to do if I'm going to have a microwave handy is 3 oz chicken, a big handful of fresh spinach, 1/4 cup cheese, some diced onions, low fat bacon bits. Microwave all that together and eat it on some healthy toast from home.

You might consider smoothies made with fruit, yogurt and protein powder or meal replacement shakes for breakfast? Toss in some chia seeds for fiber.

I pack 2 snacks and a lunch every day, same with my son, so Sunday night prep is a must. Pre cooked, pre measured. Fat free pretzels counted out in snack bagges, same with baby carrots, celery cut up and bagged, beef jerky, trail mix, no sugar added fruit cups, pre measured salad dressing/veggie dip in little cups, same with peanut butter. Berries premeasured into small cups in the fridge.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    These are all really good suggestions, thank you very much!

Will definitely look into smoothies and bread free sandwiches :)
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites was an un-salad. Lettuce tends to bother my stomach, so I would basically have toppings and add a small amount of dressing, my favorite was a sliced apple, dried cranberries, pecans and bleu cheese ( all properly portioned of course) topped with balsamic vinaigrette. Also, try KIND bars or LARA bars they are made with organic fruits and grains and nuts, no additives. I would be gone for 12 hours at a time last year with no refrigerator and packing to be healthy. Try to think of packing 6 or so filling snacks rather than full meals. Greek yogurt, veggies and fruits, anything high in protein. Pack your main food but don't be afraid to buy a couple things as necessary if you get hungry....you will still be saving money and it may relieve a little stress. Also, invest ina good lnch bag with a freeze pack that can keep perishables cold most of the day.
  • dgljones
    Options
    Have healthy snacks available so you don't find yourself at the end of the day looking at fast food or vending machines.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a meat person, how about tofu marinated in your favorite sauce and fried in a little olive oil. Refrigerate and enjoy.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I recommend anything you'd take hiking (i.e. google food for hiking). Trail mix, fruit, pita sandwiches, etc. Just try to keep anything that is wet separated from anything else.
  • naydene_w
    Options
    I would have good old fashioned pb and J sandwiches. Use fruit spreads for less sugar. I am also on WW.Good luck. Oh and will you be able to sit down for meals or more on the run. If sitting then you could also try baked oatmeal, made from this site. Not very sweet, so if you try them I add a bit more sugar when I eat them. http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2012/02/11/baked-apple-pie-oatmeal/
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I always take a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter and honey. It's really filling and keeps me going all morning. You can also google baked oatmeal recipes - it comes out like flapjacks!

For lunch you can take sandwiches if that's what you like. Hard boiled eggs in their shells travel well, and if you eat fish you could take a box with those, some cold boiled potatoes, any veggies you like and a tin of no drain tuna. I carry string cheese and a granola bar.

I agree that thinking of it as six snacks rather than three meals will be helpful, because it's easier to pack smaller snacks when you're on the run. All kinds of salads, with the protein you choose (I like bean salads.) Oatcakes with cheese, ricecakes, you can buy little individual pots of hummus for a single serving. Nuts and dried fruit. Rice pudding (you can get Ambrosia rice pudding in single-serving pots that don't need to be kept in the fridge, they come 4 to a pack.)

There's a gourmet fast food place near me that does California-style burritos - basically wraps filled with rice, beans and whatever other toppings you like - cheese, veggies, you could do tofu. You wrap those up in foil really tight and they'd make a good, filling lunch.

And always carry fruit - apples are really good, satsumas, pears.
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found that using a thermos will keep a smoothie icy still a couple of hours later. I am in love with this!
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Fun question. I've lived like that for long periods of my life. Not so bad.
    Breakfast is easy -- and delicious. Put some regular oatmeal in a baggie, with some quantities of dried fruit, flax, etc. Just add hot water in a big mug when you get to work (a 2:1 water/oatmeal ratio is good). Let sit. No need to cook. Viola...instant and *good* breakfast.
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump for the great ideas
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work 14 hr days , 2 days in a row, every 2 weeks. I carry an insulated lunch box, with a frozen ice pack, so I basically carry my own" refrigerator". It will last for the 14 hrs. I can carry and mix / match with:

baby bel light cheese or low fat mozzarella sticks, apple slices, carrot /celery / pepper sticks, grape tomatoes, small holder with ranch or whatever dip or hummus, whole grain crackers, Quakes mini snack cakes for salty crunch, small baggie of almonds, grapes, sliced kiwi, sliced strawberries, blueberries, and Greek yogurts,orange or grapefruit slices, and usually 1 or 2 sandwiches on 100 cal pepperidge farm sandwich thins with plenty of veggies piled on with the 3 oz of deli turkey I prefer, but homemade egg/ or tuna salad, or whatever sandwiches you like will also work. Some days I will take a chef salad with dressing in a small container measured out, or a whole grain pasta salad, leftover homemade healthy veggie chili or some other leftover or something I made and packaged out earlier in week, but I find this can be harder if my day doesn't allow me to have an actual "break". Of course, colder days can take a thermos of a homemade veggie soup/clear soups, etc as well.

I can graze or sit down and eat this way, depending on my day. I always carry PLENTY of water, of course, and you can use, if you like, crystal light sticks, although I don't personally use artificial sweeteners. Hope this gives you some ideas, anyway! Good luck!:drinker: