Healthy Hamiltonian

Options
Hello;

I've been using the myfitnesspal smartphone app for about a month but this is my first time logging in to the message boards. I currently live in Hamilton Ontario (originally from around Ottawa) and I have never been skinny since about kindergarten but I've been overweight since about puberty. I am a young professional ready to make some serious changes in my life. I started on here at abour 240lbs living a very seditary lifestyle and eating very unhealthy. The first few days that I was on here I ate normally and tracked everything so I could see just how bad I really was. This was a HUGE eye opener and I strongly recommend that everyone start out this way. I know I was eating unhealthy crap but I really didn't realize just how unhealthy the crap was or how much of it I was eating. Wow. That was inspiration to make changes! I also hadn't stepped on a scale for a long time before starting, so I didn't realize just how much weight I had gained since college. Being accountable for everything that I eat and all of the exercise that I do has been a wonderful experience for me, and using the smartphone app with the barcode scanner has made tracking so much easier and more convenient! Now I'm committed. After my first few days I promised myself that i would stay under my calorie goals every day, even if i have to stay up and dance my *kitten* off for an hour before bed when I realize that I've miscalculated and am over my calorie goals. So far I have lost 15lbs, but the real change is in how I feel. I'm happier, I have more energy, I'm craving fruits and vegetables instead of pizza and chicken wings, I think sugary softdrinks taste like crap, and I have a much more positive outlook about my future. I would love to chat whenever I have time, especially with any other young professionals out there, or anyone else from Ontario. If anyone is in the Hamilton Ontario area definitely send me a message! :)

Replies

• dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree logging in the beginning what you are really eating makes a huge difference. While we all know that we are eating junk it is an eye opener to see just how bad it really is. Cuts some of the cravings when I see the numbers. Add me as a friend I you want.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the boards, lots of info on these. Add me if you wish, fellow Canadian here too
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    WOO!! GO HAMILTON!

Actually, I'm just going to school there. Feel free to add me. :)
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Southwestern Ontarian.....I'm from London. Feel free to add me if you like, makes some things a bit easier when we're from the same area (products, stores, etc)

Great job on your start....lots of encouragement, praise and help will be offered when needed :)

Here's to an amazing journey
  • crazycleo
    Options
    You can add me, fellow Canadian here too. I also started pretty recently and am really loving being held accountable for what I eat!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love the bar code scanner. I'm in Kitchener but used to live in Brantford. Hamilton was the "big city" we went to when I was younger. ha.
  • 905nik
    905nik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! And Thanks! :)

Really looking forward to continuing with this.
  • jesswestie68
    Options
    Hello guys, I'm new to this but can seethe benefits of this and hope that by tracking everything I eat I can lose weight. Please add me as a friend so I can have some support xxx
  • 905nik
    905nik Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, I'm new to this but can seethe benefits of this and hope that by tracking everything I eat I can lose weight. Please add me as a friend so I can have some support xxx

Hi Jessie, nice to meet you. :)