30 day shred

2»

Replies

• ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    I attempted it and had the same problem. I couldnt get through probably 3mins before I was out of breath. I plan on starting it again March 1 so Im reading and taking everyone who posted in heres advice.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Weight loss is not perfections, it's progressive and so too are our exercise regiments. The objective is to do a little better and work a little harder tomorrow than today, one more step, one more repetition tomorrow IS success.
  • rosierosepdx
    rosierosepdx Posts: 2 Member
    I agree with everyone that you should do what you can, listen to your body, and (most of all!) be kind to yourself - it's a tough workout. I'm only on Level 1 and plan to stay there for 30 Days before moving up a level. I find Circuit 1 to be toughest, and when I get through that, I sail through the other two circuits.

I first tried the 30 Day Shred six months ago, and I couldn't keep it up. Like you, I had to quit about 10 minutes in. Up to that point, my workouts had been elliptical only, 60mins per day, 5-6x per week. I was discouraged that I wasn't yet ready for the 30 Day Shred, and figured my strength and endurance needed some serious work. I did some reading about interval training, and bought a heart rate monitor. I began interval training on my elliptical using the hrm to guide me. 5 minute warm up and then 1 minute at highest intensity I could muster, then 2 minute normal / slow rate, etc. I did that for 2 months, and ignored my Shred DVDs. On Feb 1, I tried the Shred DVD again, and this time, I did great! Still super tough and still sore for the first 4 days, but I'm doing fine now and plan to continue. My advice is that you try to figure out a plan that feels right for you to help build up your strength, and then work toward it. You can do it!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    As someone who has done this a few times, I would gently suggest that you start without any weights. When I did 30DS for the first time, I had no money to buy any dumbbells so I did them without for the first week, then two weeks later I got 4lb ones. It was tough.. but I got through it.. most people on here that I've read use lighter weights.

Just keep going.. I promise you that doing the 30DS is worth it - you will see results faster in 30 days by just doing the workout everyday (even if you have to take breaks) than you will doing an 1hr on the elliptical. I was there once where you are right now - I had recently had the 2nd addition to my family, heavy smoker, stressed, lethargic and I couldn't run for more than 10 seconds. When I did 30DS, I sweat SO much and could barely breathe during the 2 minute cardio. Within days of doing the workout, I found myself getting stronger and stronger - I wasn't breathing as heavy and eventually I could do it without taking breaks. It helped me start running around my neighbourhood and I lost 20" in a month!!

You can do it!!
  • bko722
    bko722 Posts: 17 Member
    I just finished it over the weekend. You will find that it does get somewhat easier with time. I kind of jumped around on the various levels. I only did a few days at level 1 and then went to level 2, but if I was really tired I'd select level one even towards the end. I got some nice results after the 30 days!
  • It does get easier if you keep doing as much as you can. dont quit the whole thing, just rest until you can try the next thing. The first day I couldnt finish the push up segments, and by the 10th day, I could get about 15 (modified) done on the first round and 8 on the second. that being said level 2 is whole different ball game and I can barely get though it and take a lot of breaks.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    When I started the Shred, I, too, was struggling with pushups. Even the modifies ones were too hard for me.
    One month later I was able to do a few of the REAL pushups. That's how much stronger I got. This was the first time in my life I was able to do a real pushup. I was so thrilled.

I suggest that you do your best. If you manage only 4 of the 10 pushups, so be it - in the beginning. Slowly but surely you'll feel able to do 5, then 6...

You could also try doing pushups in standing position against a wall.
  • This is so nice to see on here!
    I am currently doing the shred, started it ten days ago and just started level 2, i felt the same way whenever i first started, but it really DOES get easier.
    I know it doesn't seem like that at all right now, and currently i am reliving the day one all over. Starting level 2, it is so much more intense, but just stick with it!!! It will all pay off
  • I started Level 3 today. When I started Level 1, I always needed a break during the second set of jump rope, and I couldn't do a pushup if my life depended on it. I also started with 2 pound weights, and started using the 3 pound halfway through Level 2. Just do what you can. As someone mentioned in another thread when I was starting, if you modify or take extra breaks, Jillian isn't going to break in and beat you up :)
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Thank you everyone for the responses! It makes me feel that it can be done. Quick question, I'm pretty sure i'll be at level 1 for a bit, but withing the 30 days, when do i progress to 2 and 3?
    thanks again!

10 days of each level but no shame in adding 1 or 2 days to the first level if you need to!

great. thank you! thanks everyone for all the information and encouragement, this was extremely helpful!
  • NSP85
    NSP85 Posts: 27
    I think i'll start the 30 day shred, I started before but never finished. Now that I'm running 3x a week, I need to give myself an extra push. I need to be pushed and that's what Jillians work outs do. I know i'll complete it this time.
  • jillian michaels has been kicking my *kitten* & it's starting to show! since starting the 30 day shred on the 13th, i've lost 1.5 inches from my upper waist, 1 inch from my lower waist, half an inch from my thighs & a whopping 4.5 inches from my hips! when i woke up this morning, i could feel that my body was smaller & tighter - almost as if it happened overnight. the shred is definitely helping me shed! ; D

when i first started, i had trouble with the modified push-up's (i could barely get back up after doing one or two of them) & i had to break during each jumping jack/jump rope sequence because i was huffing & puffing so badly & my legs burned so much, i just couldn't keep up! & the bicycle crunches? no way, i just couldn't do them for more than a couple of seconds. i also used 5 pound weights the first day & was so sore, i made the 14th a rest day. on the 15th & the 16th, i didn't use weights at all (i was actually able to do all the moves & keep up with them) & since the 17th, i've used weights for the chest flies, dumbbell rows & some of the squat moves. mix it up & see what works best for you! since i have 5 more days at level 1, i've decided i'm going to use my weights for all the moves that require them until i move on to level 2.

like jillian says, "if you're diligent with this, you'll see results" & i assure you, she's right! i promise you, it does get easier. get at it, girl! ; )