Want to start jogging.... no idea where to start!

Options
2»

Replies

• fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There is a really funny book out there called "Run Fat B!tch Run" by a Brittish author named Ruth Fields that got me running/jogging.
  • winterswish
    Options
    Another vote for C25k. I'm looking to avoid injury, so the nice thing about it for me is that I can choose to repeat days/weeks as needed until I feel comfortable moving ahead. Even with the repetition, I can feel how much stronger I am and more endurance I've gained in just the last two weeks. And I was NOT a runner before.

Good luck!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k for sure. I never ran as far as the mailbox prior to (and hated every minute of it) Now I can run a 10K! Best way to start!
  • bbuff101
    bbuff101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just go for it... As for the worry of what people think, just keep in mind you're running laps around everyone on the couch!!
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5K...that was 3 years ago. My first year I ran a 5K, 10K, and half marathon...after that I was hooked.
    20acgic.png
  • xDaniix
    Options
    Id definately recommend couch to 5k! :happy:
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I could not run for 30 seconds without stopping (it took me the entire gym class period, all 42 minutes, to finish the mile in high school...yea. Pretty bad.) When I started exercising, I ran really slowly...like 4.5 mph. It still takes your body more energy to run really slowly than to walk, so even running super slowly is progress. I would do a minute on, two minutes off, etc...keep building. You will be amazed at how far you can go after awhile. I've been running for nearly 2 years now and I mix it up with intervals and endurance running. I can now run an hour without stopping. Even if you run slowly, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! :)
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying means a lot to me xxxx
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You say you have access to a running club? Seriously worth considering IMHO. I tried running on my own with C25K, but never really got the hang of it, despite many attempts. Finally plucked up the courage to go to beginner's night and it made all the difference! For some reason I thought I needed to be a certain 'standard' before going, which it turns out couldn't be further from the truth.

I now run three times a week, and am taking part in my first Half on 21st April; if I can run, anyone can. But sometimes it's nicer with company.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be running out the dooooorrrrrrr!

lol!

couldn't resist. i started running a few years ago. i just sort of started on the treadmill at my old gym. everyone was running so i tried it. could barely run 30 seconds. fast forward to today and i'm training for a half in june
  • Heitor71
    Heitor71 Posts: 224
    Options

i think with me its a confidence thing not to worry about ppl looking at me and thinking omg she cant do that! and just doing it! (

Don't worry about people, at least you are running
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    like everyone else, couch to 5k and get good sneakers. You can probably start off with whatever sneakers you have now, but the more you run, you'll realize that you need better ones.
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    running is great for your body
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I actually used the training program with Runkeeper, and liked that better. I was slightly more in shape than what C25K is set at the beginning. I like that Runkeeper isn't so regimented with their run/walk cycles. There's a little more freedom to speed up or slow down when you want, IMO, so I like that. Plus, I like the splits, the map, and the stats that it gives me, which C25K doesn't.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with he others, get fitted for proper shoes. Please don't overdo it, you should only increase you running no more than 10% a week. Don't forget to stretch properly. The couch to 5 k is good, I have done it before. I have never cared what others have though, and every runner I have ever encountered has been nothing but encouraging. Just get out and enjoy it

Just a note on the sneakers, I was getting horrible shin splints until I got assessed and fitted properly, it made all the difference in the world
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here is one of the best articles on running i've ever read.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-stunning-revelations-idiot-has-about-running/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    good running shoes for your needs and a good high impact sports bra. that's pretty much all you need
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said but the couch to 5k program is good... I did it for about 5-6 weeks then gave up because it got too hot out and I got a gym membership instead LOL. But it is a good program.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    here is one of the best articles on running i've ever read.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-stunning-revelations-idiot-has-about-running/

Love it!!
  • the_crazy_ninja
    Options
    Step one - move the right foot forward.
    Step two - move the left foot forward.
    Step three - repeat

In other words, it's easy - don't get intimidated. Just start running!

hahaha, love that !