Getting discouraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take your measurements every 2 or 3 weeks.
    I haven't lost a pound since i started mfp... well actually i gained 4 and then lost it n now i'm back to my weight i started at. but i'm getting side tracked, i took my measurements and i lost .5 inches off my neck and hips!

So that should encourage you! seeing that waist line go down! =)
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Mind is everything..if you don't believe you can do something,then you can't.... :) push yourself,be patient and you will see results..and since you have lost those 11 pounds obviously you are making progress...it ain't easy..but that's why its so rewarding.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    First of all, 11 lbs lost since Jan 17 is AWESOME!!! GIve yourself some credit.
    Secondly, 11 lbs isn't much to notice a difference depending what your starting weight is.
    I started at 245lbs and it took ALOT more than that to notice anything.

Give it time, nothing happens overnight. If I gave up every time something like this bummed me out, I would never have lost 85lbs.

You are doing fantastic.
  • jricht001
    Options
    OH my gosh!!! 11 lbs is a great loss!!! Since I've started, I've lost 25lbs and I've JUST started to see results!!!! Granted...15lbs were not on THIS site, but seriously, it takes a while! I have a saying on my computer at work that says:

It takes 4 weeks for YOU to notice results
    It takes 8 weeks for your friends and family to start noticing results
    It takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice!

Don't give up, keep going and you WILL eventually see results!!

My advice personally- don't eat back your calories if you can help it!!!!! That defeats the purpose!!

Good luck!!!
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Ive been in since Jan and Ive only lost 3 lbs but Im proud of it. Its about becoming a healthier person not hitting a number on a scale. Keep your chin up.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You lost 11 pounds in a month - great progress!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    An 11 pound loss in 4 weeks is great! I'm at 17 pounds and I'm still in the same clothes too. My jeans still fit fine, but I noticed that the waistband is looser than it used to be. I started measuring myself last week and I've already seen inches gone. Keep going...you are doing great!
  • tamaralaine1970
    Options
    Please do not get discouraged, first do not eat those calories back, ignore them, just beware in the very back of your mind that if for some reason you may need a few for balance or extra reward food you have them. BUT, for the most part they do not exist. That is how I work the program.congrats on the follow through to work out every day, that one is a hard on for me. I try and maintain at least 2 or 3 times a week, but sometimes have not did that as well. What kinds of food do you eat? sometimes changing the amounts and types of food can help with loosing weight.
  • virgogirl916
    virgogirl916 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    11 lbs is awesome. Keep at it and slowly but surely you will get to where you want to be :)
  • lynnkillion
    Options
    WoW! one month= 11 lbs. That is great!. I bet there is some
    noticable difference, even a little.:wink:
    Hope I can to this!
    and exercising well too......this will be the hardest thing for me.
    I just started today. Wish me luck.
    Lynn
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I have so far to go to get the body I wants and i'm busting my *kitten* but see no results.

If you decide to 'f-it' you'll see even less than no results. Take a breath and carry on -- patience, Grasshopper -- you're in this for life.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    UGGGHHHHH I have been at this diet thing this time around since 1/17/13 and I exercise every single night. I have lost 11 pounds but notice no difference at all!!!!! I was told today by a co worker that I am not supposed to be eating any of my exercise calories back, others have told me that it is ok to eat them back. I am starting to think that I havent lost more or seen any difference cause I am eating those exercise calories back. Long story short....I am once again getting discouraged and ready to just say F it!!!

11 pounds in a month is pretty amazing progress, so I'd tell your coworker that eating the exercise calories is working just fine for you. You're supposed to. It's the way this site was designed to work.

But when it comes to looking in the mirror, progress is hard to see. We see ourselves every day. Trying to see changes in the mirror is like watching grass grow.

I didn't notice much change at all in the first 12-15 pounds. I think part of it was because shortly before joining the site, I'd gained an extra couple pounds. I didn't quite realize that I was leaving the top button undone, or wearing sweats more, or only wearing those really forgiving stretchy jeans. The first maybe 10 pounds I lost just put me where I was a few months before joining here. There was progress made, but it wasn't all that noticeable. I was able to wear those jeans I'd stopped wearing. My pants buttoned easier.

Around the 12 pound mark, I started taking progress photos. Wish I'd done that from the beginning! I compared that to a photo from the summer before, and even though there was only a few pounds difference (like I said, I gained more right before I joined), I could see it. That lit a fire under my *kitten*, and I kept taking progress photos every few weeks.

I can be more objective with a photo. I can look at it like it's someone else, and take in the whole picture, rather than zero in on every dimple and bump like I do in the mirror.
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    A healthy weight loss (if your goal is to keep it off) is 2 pounds a week! You are doing great!!!! Also, don't use the scale to monitor progress, use your body measurements. TODAY take your chest, waist, hips (around your bum bum), arms (upper arm around the biggest part) and leg (around the biggest part of your thigh) measurements. It normally takes 60 days to see visual results, but your measurements will change in 30 days.

Add me as a friend if you want. We can get over your discouragement!

Abby
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider as well, you may actually be gaining some muscle mass which could be negating the loss in fat. I have encountered what I thought were platues in past ventures only to find out my body fat percentage was still going down. Furthermore, as others have said, one month and 11 pounds is outstanding!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Take pictures! you're probably not seeing results because you see yourself every day. Take pictures and measurements and prove to yourself that your body is changing. If you can get your body fat % measured, that's a good reminder that muscle mass is a good thing too :)
  • sharonmac
    Options
    You all have been so encouraging. I actually did take a few pics on 1/17/13 when I started but havent taken anymore since. Not sure if I should post them, The picture of my back is me in a bra. Not sure if I should put that on here. The others I am wearing a tank top but pulled up under my ta ta's lol. Thanks so much for all the support. MFP is a great place to be on this journey. I have recomended it to a few people.
  • lillyss211
    lillyss211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've read more than one article about our tendency to overestimate how many calories we burn from exercise. If you're working out on a cardio machine and it says you just burned 300 calories, chances are it's actually less. I'd recommend either entering 50% less of what the cardio machine says you burned, or not entering it at all. If you don't enter it at all, at least if you go over your calorie goal for the day, you have peace of mind in knowing you did, in fact, work out so you have some extra calories to give anyways. Hope this helps!