10 reasons squats are a terrible excercise

Options
13»

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If you've ever travelled around the Indian subcontinent or Asia you will notice that most kids and adults can maintain a squat position with relative ease - that is because it is a normal movement:

float356.img_assist_custom.jpg

Well, there's also the Japanese toilets... It seems like you'd get used to it pretty quickly one way or another or have problems. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you look closely, most of those kids have their knees past their toes. Terrible form.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I mostly just skimmed the article so I didn't take in all that PHD in from Nigeeria nonsense. But the part that got me confused was about the spine because my spine actually does hurt for a few days after squats. And I've watched all the Rippetoe videos about bar placement and everything. Once again I'm sorry and deeply ashamed of my epic fail.

I wouldn't be. It was entertaining and you took it well. Truthfully, it is something I could see myself doing.
    Plus you didn't go all "you guys are so mean"
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    best thread ever. where was this when I was bored at work?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If you look closely, most of those kids have their knees past their toes. Terrible form.

Someone educate them!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Someone educate them!

Send in a Westerner to tell 'em they're doing it all wrong! That'll learn 'em.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh man, are y'all serious?! I'm so naive. Sorry, y'all. Carry on with your lives now. XP

I'm not trolling I am just dumb. I'm a newbie lifter, and don't know all the technical names for muscles and that.

You are not naive. You got it right.

See, all these people that do squats, they can't see out of the box and are looking for confirmation that what they do is correct.
    But it's a terrible exercise for all the reasons you mentioned plus if we where meant to squat all the time we wouldn't have chairs.

Plus everyone at T-Nation knows they give 'roids, butt lapse and stuff. Squats are dangerous.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    did people really think this was serious lol
  • myofibril
    Options

Someone educate them!

They eat white rice you know *gasp*

No wonder they are so freakin' fat...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    did people really think this was serious lol
    did you think people really think this was serious lol^2
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I mostly just skimmed the article so I didn't take in all that PHD in from Nigeeria nonsense. But the part that got me confused was about the spine because my spine actually does hurt for a few days after squats. And I've watched all the Rippetoe videos about bar placement and everything. Once again I'm sorry and deeply ashamed of my epic fail.

10gy348.jpg
  • myofibril
    Options
    19290869.jpg
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Someone educate them!

They eat white rice you know *gasp*

No wonder they are so freakin' fat...

That white rice will keel ya! And they eat fatty meat and lots of fish, and drink, smoke, etc. And yet still outlive us. Must be something really basic like not eating too much and walking, rather than driving everywhere. Naw, couldn't be that, too simple . . .
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    LOL, Poe'd.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be. It was entertaining and you took it well. Truthfully, it is something I could see myself doing.
    Plus you didn't go all "you guys are so mean"
    This! Kudos to you! You made a rookie mistake and didn't blame everyone else and get all butthurt. You saw the error and took everyone poking fun at you well. Good job!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Uhm, all joking aside, if your spine hurts for a few days after doing squats, you should get help on your form. Squats ARE dangerous if your form is bad.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you've ever travelled around the Indian subcontinent or Asia you will notice that most kids and adults can maintain a squat position with relative ease - that is because it is a normal movement:

float356.img_assist_custom.jpg

Well, there's also the Japanese toilets... It seems like you'd get used to it pretty quickly one way or another or have problems. :)

insert the proper way to poop forum

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813554-do-i-poop-wrong?hl=pooping+wrong
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Lol, nice thread.