ab/core exercises that are good for people w back problems?

Options
i am looking for some good ab/core exercises. no matter how much weight i lose i cannot seem to get rid of this dreaded pooch. the issue is that i have back problems from a car accident several years ago and i have to be very careful because of the disks in my lower back which limits the exercises i feel comfortable doing. i am looking to tone and firm up my core and abs. i already do weights/strength training and i run an hour a day so i am looking to add in some core-specific moves. any suggestions or links to good exercises? much appreciated!!! :)

Replies

• PennStan
    PennStan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Couldn't find the link, but saw an article pushing these three core strengthing exercises. 1. Plank on toes and olbows for 30 seconds. 2. Lean on hands at about 45 degrees against an object and pull each knee up toward chest and hold for 2 seconds. Do 15 each side. 3. Side plank on elbow for 30 seconds each side. Do 1 thru 3 twice.
  • lulu2u15
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm starting with a personal trainer tomorrow, I'll let you know what she says.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Start with planks. Good core exercises will strengthen your back as well as your abs.

However, working your abs will not get rid of your "pooch".
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Start with planks. Good core exercises will strengthen your back as well as your abs.

However, working your abs will not get rid of your "pooch".

lol it's such a funny word. i know decreasing overall body fat and training the whole body and eating healthy is what will work but i already do all that and i feel like my stomach isn't shrinking as fast as the rest of me. hopefully it will catch up. i do planks, maybe i just need to do it longer and more often.
  • barbves
    barbves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to this and currently only able to walk and do a few stretches. I had back surgery in September and still have a slipped disc to be careful of. Anyone else who has come back from this and how do you do it?:ohwell:
  • apcartwright
    apcartwright Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you have a ball sit on it and lift opposite arm and leg, or lie on your stomach on the ball lifting opposite arm and leg, or put the ball on the wall an lean back on an angle doing squats, or put your arms on the ball while kneeling in front of it and rolling it out, and without the ball lay on your back with your knees up and do a bridge lifting your hips, that is what they are teaching me at physio because I hurt my back and they are trying to build up my core muscles.