Jim Wendler's 5 year plan

Options
Jim Wendler’s 5 year plan

1.  Your program will be based on 4 exercises: squat, bench press, deadlift and the press.

2. You will train in the weight room 2-4 days/week.

3. You will do some kind of “hard” conditioning 3 days/week. This consists of pushing the Prowler, running hills, running stadium steps or pushing a car. If it looks hard and awesome, do it. If your mom can do it, put it aside until you go through menopause.

4. You can do any kind of assistance work that you want provided that you do chin-ups/pull-ups and either barbell or dumbbell rows.

5. If you are fat and out of shape, you must do some kind of conditioning every day. If I were fat and out of shape, I’d be pushing a Prowler every day to combat the adipose.

6. You will not program jump and hop on the latest trend – your program should be flexible enough to adjust/tweak to include new ideas while maintaining the core principles and integrity of the program.

7. Diet –If you need to lose fat: eat good food, less crap and eat “right” 90% of the time. If you need to gain weight: eat more food. This is not a hard concept.

8. Your body is not different than anyone else but your attitude can be.

9. You will not be impatient; the grind is where character is made. Focus on what you have to do TODAY to make tomorrow better. This is a lifelong project.

10. Whenever you lose focus, consult this list to clear your head and get you back on track. And when in doubt, squat and run hills.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Are you starting this?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Love this! And I love integrating things into his 5/3/1 program like barbell complexes or sprints. He's onto something :)
  • turbomuzz
    turbomuzz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stock standard...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Jim Wendler’s 5 year plan

This is a lifelong project.
    I intend to live longer than 5 years. :tongue:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Are you starting this?

I already do pretty much all of that stuff :smile: Just a FYI hehe

Keola is on 5/3/1 now though and loving it.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I've been getting more and more interest in Wendler the more I understand it (I know, I'm behind the curve...people have been raving and praising him for a while now...)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Good stuff here!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Great plan! It seems to have a lot in common with Stronglifts/Starting Strength.

What would you say are the main differences?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If I had kids, their mom would be able to push a car. I call shenanigans.
  • taso42
    Options
    Great plan! It seems to have a lot in common with Stronglifts/Starting Strength.

What would you say are the main differences?

5/3/1 is a more intermediate program, and a great place to go once you have milked your gains from SS or SL. It's done as a 4 day split, each day targetting one of the main lifts (Squat, Bench, DL, OHP) + assistance work. Instead of a flat 3x5 or 5x5, the work sets vary depending on the week. The first week is sets of 5. Second week is sets of 3. And third week is 5 reps, then 3 reps, then 1 rep (5/3/1). Forth week is deload. Then it repeats, with 10 lbs added to the training max of the lower body lifts and 5 lbs added to the upper body.

Once you've stalled out and reset a few times in SS or SL, check out the 5/3/1 ebook. There's a lot greater detail in there, and I've left out quite bit of the finer points. It's fairly "complex" as far as setting working out your training max and setting up the training schedule, but not "complicated"... if that makes any sense. And once you've got it all entered into a spreadsheet, you're good to go.

I've made great gains doing 5/3/1. On my 12th month now, and I have no intention of moving away from it, as I am still reaping the benefits.
  • taso42
    Options

Yeah, there's a fair bit of sexism the comes out of Wendler's mouth, unfortunately. Makes it a tough sell to women IMO.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    thanks for explaining Taso :smile:
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I prefer 5/3/1 to SS as a beginner. Instead of having to hit 3x5, you just have to hit the prescribed and then hopefully go over a bit. I found missing reps on SS to be very demotivating.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I think the 1's week in a few cycles is possibly too heavy for most beginners.

People just need to realise on SS that eventually you won't make the reps. If linear progression worked forever with no deloads we'd all be totalling 1000kg in no time :tongue:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Good read! Thanks for sharing, CD.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    <---- Also doing 5/3/1 and it's working well and I'm loving it.

I'd still not suggest it for a beginner as I think linear progression can take you further, faster, when starting out.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew when I started lifting what I know now. I don't care if you start with StrongLifts or 5/3/1 or hell if you get ballsy and try to run sheiko or something outta westside.

Consistency, more than anything else, matters. None of the greats got to where they did by slacking off. Push yourself and results will come eventually.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

Yeah, there's a fair bit of sexism the comes out of Wendler's mouth, unfortunately. Makes it a tough sell to women IMO.

For the record, Mehdi of StrongLifts is no better ... maybe worse. I wonder why so many women are uncomfortable lifting?

In any case, I'm doing 5/3/1 and really enjoying it. Easy to stick to, and leaves some room for fun with the accessory work.
  • joan111582
    joan111582 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump since I"m starting to stall consistently with SL