RANT about the "skinny fat" body shaming on here.

Options
1235»

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    people need to STOP judging others by what they look like

Well. I'll keep judging how others look based on what they look like. I'll probably also make some educated guesses about their lifestyle. I might extrapolate that into assumptions about their habits. There's a chance I will make decisions based on my extrapolations.

The world is so cruel, sometimes, isn't it?

You pretty much took that sentence out of its entire context. :laugh:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You pretty [...]. :laugh:

Thank you; bad grammar but you're good looking too!!

I don't have the time to critique her entire piece; so you'll have to just imagine the same level of passionless disdain with which I treated that excerpt applied to the whole OP. I have faith that you will do me justice.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Great post! I know I fit in the same category as you.Thanks!
  • debdelilah
    Options
    At 5'1 and 135 you have a bmi over 25-you are clinically overweight but not by much-5lbs. I think people don't necessarily realize how to adjust weight to height-you'll sometimes see young women who are 5'9 wanting to weigh 115 even though that would make them underweight. But as you pointed out the problem with the stairs and getting winded-you already spotted the fitness problem and are heading for a solution. You'd be going from average to fit. Good luck on the journey.
  • leemay001
    leemay001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Nice cat. Looks just like one of mine.

That is all. ^_^
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just a rant of my own.

With the exception of medical professionals (and that has its limitations), no one has the right or the knowledge to look at another person and dictate to them the relevance, necessity, or worth of their personal endeavors. No one.

Presumptuous judgments likes that are inane and worthless and do nothing to help anyone involved. There is no standard to live by or to pursue, and trying to apply a metric based on statistical averages and trends to every single individual as if it is some ****ing sacrament is ignorant in the context of health and wellness, in which most people should know better than to cling to trends rather than catering to oneself.

I've lost 55 pounds. I have another 100 to lose, at least.

You lost 10 pounds. You have another 10 to lose.

Guess whose endeavor is more important in the context of our individual lives? Neither, because no one gets to impose their own personal sense of worth onto someone else's life goals.
  • cindylmanly
    cindylmanly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I read that thread and was discouraged as well. I have a slight "skinny fat" problem as well. With clothes on - all looks well. But I do tend to carry excess belly fat. Funny thing is...under that belly fat I have abs of steel! Lol. I have read a lot about the belly fat issue and know that it's often caused by an excess of cortisol. Excessive cardio can sometimes worsen this problem. And stress is a key factor. Try meditating. Eliminate as much stress as you can. And try doing a little low impact cardio with strength training. This has helped me quite a bit. I still have somewhat of a thick waistline...but I'm working on it! Don't let the meanies get under your skin. People tend to be so judgemental. It's a shame huh? I hate *****y people who cannot wait to criticize others. Chin up sister.
  • cindylmanly
    cindylmanly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Btw. Ignore the jerk. He obviously has issues
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was 103lbs, 5'4", pants size 0/1 in 2010. No one would've called me fat. Oh, but my LDL cholesterol was 223? I got winded walking around the block? Joint problems? IMPOSSIBLE!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    People tend to be so judgemental. It's a shame huh? I hate *****y people who cannot wait to criticize others. Chin up sister.
    Btw. Ignore the jerk. He obviously has issues

You do irony so well.
  • unicornery
    Options
    wow, i really appreciate this post since i'm the same! most of the time i think i'm also very hard on myself, but the fact that in clothes - no one could tell i got any fat on my body & whenever i say i dont want to be in a bikini or whatever, i just get people saying "but you got no fat on your body to be ashamed off!". well, they don't know do they, right? & then you feel like you're fooling them haha! nah, but not many people understand that it's actually not fun to be skinny chubby either, & it's REALLY hard to get rid of in my case :S though i'm working on it so so hard now, trying to at the same time not be too hard on myself & love my bod anyway!
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and weigh 124.8lb currently. I started at 143lb and even then I wasn't technically over weight in terms of BMI.

I want to lose another 10lb, but even then I won't technically be near underweight in BMI terms.

Visually it depends on where you store fat. I'm pear shaped, so it's my thighs.