nutritional yeast

Options
What do you use it for?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it around anymore, but my favorite thing to do with it when I was vegan was as a topping for spaghetti or popcorn. I tried using it on top of any dish I might normally have topped with Parmesan cheese and/or garlic powder. I had been dairy-free for about 3 months before I learned of it. By then, it tasted deliciously cheesy and umami-y.
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it around anymore, but my favorite thing to do with it when I was vegan was as a topping for spaghetti or popcorn. I tried using it on top of any dish I might normally have topped with Parmesan cheese and/or garlic powder. I had been dairy-free for about 3 months before I learned of it. By then, it tasted deliciously cheesy and umami-y.
    Why don't you keep it around anymore? Is there anything about it that you know of that is not good for you? I have been dairy free for about a month and just learned about it.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It tastes awesome but it makes your pee super yellow due to the large amounts of B12.
    Try not to eat more that two tablespoons a day.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Why don't you keep it around anymore? Is there anything about it that you know of that is not good for you?

LOL, no. It's fine. It's just I'm not dairy-free anymore! I'd much rather eat actual parmesan cheese and stuff! If I gave up dairy again, it would be one of the first things on my grocery list.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Increasing breast milk supply
  • miss_metal
    miss_metal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Being Vegan I use it to make cheese sauce, its great!!
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use it to make a great cheesy sauce or Alfredo sauce to cover steamed broccoli or cauliflower. My SO is a vegan so we do a lot of adaptations. I sprinkle it on eggs and really anything else. If you mix it with powdered nut (I use cashews) it makes a very creamy sauce with a little water or soy milk warmed over the stove.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "to pollute your blood with candida."

Wrong kind of yeast.

Nutritional yeast is deactivated Saccharomyces cerevisiae. A good source of complete protein and hella tasty on popcorn.

I've also had some vegan friends who would mix it in with lentil "meat balls" or make "cheese" sauce with it.

ETA: Forgot to say my sweetie likes it on toast.
  • mkw122680
    Options
    I use it in mashed potatoes with garlic to make "cheesy" mashed potatoes. I've also used it to make a "cheese" sauce for a mac and cheese dish. I also used it with tofu to make an alfedo sauce. I have only been dairy free for coming up on 3 weeks, so I haven't found the taste of the nutritional yeast all that pleasing by itself. But I like it mixed into a sauce.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am in the minority here. I tried it cuz I can't have cheese. It seemed like an awesome idea...then, it went in the trash - nauseating. It smelled like stinky feet and tasted like *kitten*. :sick:
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Making cheesy kale chips (rip kale, spray lightly with oil, mix with nutritional yeast so that lightly coated, bake).

Tofu scrambles: 1/4 block tofu crumbled into 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast and 1 tsp garlic powder. Mix together and fry like eggs.

Topping for spaghetti/pasta, pasta sauces (like you would use Parmesan).

Vegan mac and cheese (cashews, nutritional yeast, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, arrowroot powder = delicious).

Tofu bacon (liquid smoke, soy sauce, oil, nutritional yeast).

Just don't eat it plain. Tastes like cardboard.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I add it to rice, beans, burritos, etc. Basically anything I'd sprinkle cheese onto, I will add it to.
  • WBB55
    Options
    My tastebuds are watering after reading more people's replies. Maybe I'll buy some anyway... cheesy popcorn, cheesy kale chips, cheesy noodles... *drool*
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Vegan mac and cheese (cashews, nutritional yeast, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, arrowroot powder = delicious).

I will try this (minus the nasty nutritional yeast). I would like a creamy, savory sauce for pasta but I don't need the "cheese" flavor that supposedly comes from the yeast. Thanks for the idea. :drinker:
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I put it on popcorn! yum!
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I actually found some in a store, but haven't opened it yet.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So much love! I make a nutritional yeast sauce to dump all over pasta... mmm comfort foot.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a bit on everything savory!
  • sn_etuk
    sn_etuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Marinate extra firm tofu in apple cider vinegar and soy sauce, roll in nutritional yeast, and bake. Very yummy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oy vay people will say anything. I remember my Mom buying this but I dont remember what it tasted like, but it it's cheesey. YUM, might have to rediscover it.