Most depressing fitness article

Options
I stumbled upon this article "The Secret Benefit of Being Lean" by Martin Berkhan, some of you probably know him from leangains.com and his articles on Intermittent Fasting. It's a really good blog for every bodybuilding nutrition related. However, this article is a little different and you wouldn't expect it from reading the title. But in it, he discusses how he felt when he finally achieved his ultimate fitness goals and was pretty much at his all-time "peak condition" .. Here's a few quotes:

"But the experience was disappointing in many ways. Is this it? It left me with a sense of a void inside myself. After all, I had invested a fair amount of energy in this over the years. Mental energy first and foremost. Having had to master thoughts of doubt. Spending time thinking about how to tackle social events without affecting progress negatively. At times having to exert restraint when cravings came."

"But that void needs to be filled with something. You will suddenly rediscover new interests and hobbies - I did. Don't fill the void with more training*. Fill it with reading, family, friends or whatever you like."

Now how depressing is this? I honestly don't feel like going to the gym after reading his article. Here's a person who's been through the entire journey of natural bodybuilding and at the end finds it simply lacking. The whole journey leads no where. You follow your desires with dedication, commitment and passion but in the end nothing is ever achieved.

It seems like a promise that never delivers.. Really Martin Berkhan, read a book and spend time with family? That's your answer???

What's YOUR answer?

Replies

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think this guy sounds like he's not that proud of himself and is still looking for external rewards. The strong people are able to tackle most things by asking their own opinion and taking their own counsel and some from a few friends and family. Strong people, strong minds and happiness all go together.

He sounds like an unhappy, unfulfilled vessel who was looking for the preening attention of a strutting peacock.

Make your own path. Do what makes you happy. Include friends and family and stop reading this guy's work.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Isn't there always a need to maintain though? So even if you finally get where you want to go, if you don't keep at it you'll lose it? So how can one ever really be "finished" and at the end?
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What are we getting fit for? I hope it's not just numbers!
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I think this guy sounds like he's not that proud of himself and is still looking for external rewards. The strong people are able to tackle most things by asking their own opinion and taking their own counsel and some from a few friends and family. Strong people, strong minds and happiness all go together.

He sounds like an unhappy, unfulfilled vessel who was looking for the preening attention of a strutting peacock.

Make your own path. Do what makes you happy. Include friends and family and stop reading this guy's work.

I like this guy's work, and this article was by no means typical. It just seems he's sharing an honest experience he went through, I'm just trying to understand him rather than judge him.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon this article "The Secret Benefit of Being Lean" by Martin Berkhan, some of you probably know him from leangains.com and his articles on Intermittent Fasting. It's a really good blog for every bodybuilding nutrition related. However, this article is a little different and you wouldn't expect it from reading the title. But in it, he discusses how he felt when he finally achieved his ultimate fitness goals and was pretty much at his all-time "peak condition" .. Here's a few quotes:

"But the experience was disappointing in many ways. Is this it? It left me with a sense of a void inside myself. After all, I had invested a fair amount of energy in this over the years. Mental energy first and foremost. Having had to master thoughts of doubt. Spending time thinking about how to tackle social events without affecting progress negatively. At times having to exert restraint when cravings came."

"But that void needs to be filled with something. You will suddenly rediscover new interests and hobbies - I did. Don't fill the void with more training*. Fill it with reading, family, friends or whatever you like."

Now how depressing is this? I honestly don't feel like going to the gym after reading his article. Here's a person who's been through the entire journey of natural bodybuilding and at the end finds it simply lacking. The whole journey leads no where. You follow your desires with dedication, commitment and passion but in the end nothing is ever achieved.

It seems like a promise that never delivers.. Really Martin Berkhan, read a book and spend time with family? That's your answer???

What's YOUR answer?

This actually happens with a lot of things in life. I spoke with a PhD student today who finished and passed his qualifiers (meaning he is almost ready to graduate, it's a huge milestone) and he felt let down. He thought he would feel this amazing weight lift from his shoulders having achieved his goal, but it never did. Bummer of course, but it seems that this is life...
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Not about fitness, but I think I've had a similar feeling of let-down.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe he is saying that life is too short or too precious to stress over your body and eating habits all the time. At the end of the day if you have the body you want but haven't achieved other goals or you are alone then what is the point? That is just my take. That being said, body building might not be the be all end all solution for him like it is for some people.
  • mcabsue505
    Options
    I don't know... for me it's as much the journey as the end goal. I love the way training changes my body, love getting stronger and leaner but mostly I love to train. I look forward to getting to the gym every morning and blasting legs or back or whatever body part I'm working that day. I love sweating. I love being sore. It all just feels good. So, yeah- I don't know where my end or peak condition will be but I'm liking getting there and I'm in no hurry.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of a story written by a mountain climber I read a few years ago. He had the same letdown. He realized that he had imagined once he climbed this mountain life would somehow be different and better, he would be different and better, and when nothing much changed he got that letdown feeling.

I guess it's just about reaching your goals, setting whatever new ones you are interested in, and being happy with yourself and making your circumstances bring you happiness regardless.
  • fitnessGETZeasy
    fitnessGETZeasy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I believe what he's trying to say is that you have to work from the outside in. I experienced something very similar. I had reached my goal weight and was elated for about a month. And then it was kind of like "now what"? I had worked so hard to get to that "number" that once I got there, there was no where else to go. I had nothing else to work toward. There is absolutely nothing motivational about working out to maintain. At least it didn't compare to the exhilaration of seeing those numbers on the scale shrink every single week.

I maintained my goal weight for several years and then just recently put some weight back on. This time around I'm working on loving myself so that I'm not defined by a number. I'm working out to feel better and for better health, not to see a number on a scale. Reaching weight goals or looking a certain way ends up just being a side effect of loving myself.
  • 4ALongerLife
    4ALongerLife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I believe what he's trying to say is that you have to work from the outside in. I experienced something very similar. I had reached my goal weight and was elated for about a month. And then it was kind of like "now what"? I had worked so hard to get to that "number" that once I got there, there was no where else to go. I had nothing else to work toward. There is absolutely nothing motivational about working out to maintain. At least it didn't compare to the exhilaration of seeing those numbers on the scale shrink every single week.

I maintained my goal weight for several years and then just recently put some weight back on. This time around I'm working on loving myself so that I'm not defined by a number. I'm working out to feel better and for better health, not to see a number on a scale. Reaching weight goals or looking a certain way ends up just being a side effect of loving myself.

Well said!
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Isn't that supposed to be one of the great things about life? You can love something, succeed at it but eventually want more? It's what pushes you to try and discover new things no matter what stage of life you're at, and to always seek new experiences.

At least that's the way I like to think of it =\
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont think that sounds depressing at all. It sounds like with any thing in life you need balance and moderation. You need times to splurge and times to purge. Find the balance and I think we'll all be happier.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sounds like who ever wrote that had nothing else going on for them.. =/
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Maybe I read it wrong, but I related what he said to the way that some fitness junkies get so absorbed in diets, exercise, and the like that they forget to spend energy in things that aren't fitness-related. I hear about people ignoring their friends, families, and dropping hobbies when they obsess over this stuff. A common, and seemingly innocent example: I can't go out and eat with my friends because it'll ruin my diet! :(!!!!

I think it's completely understandable to stand back after accomplishing so much in personal fitness, only to realize with great sadness that you've sacrificed other important aspects of your life to get there.

There's more to life than working out.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on why you're into fitness in the first place.

At least personally, I'm into the fitness thing because I primarily require it for work.

Secondarily, I actively compete in competitions a few times a year within my chosen sports. While I'm certainly not as fast etc. as I was when competing as a teenager ~12 years ago, I still do alright.

So while I trained and got to peak fitness again (it's amazing what 18 months out can do to your body...), I don't have the whole "well, what now?" mentality because I have a reason to keep it up.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you expect when you get to the end. The author might be married and realized that while he was trying to be hot for his wife, he missed his children's first steps.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Martin knows his ****. I mean after all, we were of that generation of "bodybuilders" that inherited a much more cynical audience by 2010.

here's the thing you should understand about Martin. He put ALL his eggs into the basket of strength progression while maintaining sub 10% bodyfat. Literally..he advocated DL, Squat, Bench, Chins, OHP...for his entire platform. The guy can almost pull a 550 DL, but because he is soooo obsessed about staying in a certain condition, cannot progress (I guess that's what happens when a male model starts to bodybuild).

He is actually pretty skinny. And although he loves to maintain that 8% bodyfat all year round, he is quick to dismiss the fact that he could progress much faster on a 15% phased scale...yes. it's impressive that he can pull 550 at 8%. But he's too vain.

If you do some looking around....you will find moderate and sensible examples to your benefit and motivation. Layne Norton (despite his shameless advertizing) is a beacon of quality answers. Alberto Nunez as well. They stay 12-15% BF and they are moving crazy weight on 4000+ cal a day.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Maybe I read it wrong, but I related what he said to the way that some fitness junkies get so absorbed in diets, exercise, and the like that they forget to spend energy in things that aren't fitness-related. I hear about people ignoring their friends, families, and dropping hobbies when they obsess over this stuff. A common, and seemingly innocent example: I can't go out and eat with my friends because it'll ruin my diet! :(!!!!

I think it's completely understandable to stand back after accomplishing so much in personal fitness, only to realize with great sadness that you've sacrificed other important aspects of your life to get there.

There's more to life than working out.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Wow - the quote about not going out with friends to stay on plan hit home!! I am at my goal weight and am still afraid to go out and have one glass of wine and a salad!!! My eyes have been opened to realizing what I have been doing. I am going to try to go out, not over do, no binge when I get home or be depressed because everyone else is pigging out. I have a bunch of beautiful new clothes in closet that I don't use because we don't go out because of ME!!!

WOW - thanks.