3 Day Military Diet.

Options
Has anyone tried it? I recently stumbled across it on Pinterest. It intrigued me, so I put everything in on here.
It gives you a significant amount of calories (So with no exercise, no metabolic destruction.) A lot of fat, and low carbs.

My only concern is that you only eat three times a day, where as in my experience the more often you eat, the better.
Also it says to exercise! But then, that would drop your net below 1,200. Equalling metabolic destruction.

Any thoughts, or experiences to share with me?

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    whatever you lose in those 3 days will be gained right back once you start eating normally. Walk...no, run away.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to something you can maintain longer than 3 days...sounds like it would help you lose water weight more so than anything, but I can see it coming right back on once you reincorporate carbs and eat more calories
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is a scam. It appears or variations of it appear under a number of important sounding names. This is no way associated in anyway with the military.
    You will lose weight. You are cutting calories low.
    Is it healthy? No. Is it sustainable? No.

Anything with low carbs will have you drop a lot of with quickly. The only problem it is water weight, not fat. I will return once you eat carbs again.

I looked at the numbers earlier and they seemed off. I haven't double checked it. I believe it might be lower but I could be wrong.
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking too. ^ To both of you.

But it's not only three days. That's misleading.

It's three days on the diet, then four days of eating like you normally do. Then back to the diet another three days, and four more like normal. And this can go on as long as you want, but I read a month would be about normal.

I mean I really don't have too much weight left to lose, so I definitely would not be doing something like that long term.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    It is a scam. It appears or variations of it appear under a number of important sounding names. This is no way associated in anyway with the military.

Anything with low carbs will have you drop a lot of with quickly. The only problem it is water weight, not fat. I will return once you eat carbs again.

I looked at the numbers earlier and they seemed off. I haven't double checked it. I believe it might be lower but I could be wrong.

Nah, I used to eat way way less than that (Before I learned about metabolism) and still didn't lose any weight. So if anything just nothing would happen.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the diet but netting below 1200 doesn't necessarily equal metabolic destruction, who told you that?

Last spring I had a super labour intensive job that burned between 1500-2000 cals a day. I was doing low carb at the time and struggled to eat as many calories as I was burning, let alone an extra 1200 on top of that. As a result it was not uncommon for me to net below zero.

In 2.5 months I went from 165 lbs to 135. During that time I never felt hungry, weak, ill, etc. After my job ended I adopted a normal lifestyle continuing my low carb diet (around 50 g per day) without intensive exercise. I was able to maintain my weight for 4 months until I went on a 6 week vacation and gained 15 lbs :'(

I'm now back on low carb and noticing the weight starting to drop off again. I've never had any noticeable changes in my metabolism.

And that is my personal experience ;)
  • RiotxRiot
    Options
    That looks like a miserable diet to follow. As far as any diet scheme goes, if you don't think you could sustain it forever, then I wouldn't bother with it at all.
  • AccordingtoMeg
    AccordingtoMeg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No, no, no! Eating hot dogs and saltine crackers is not healthy! Don't do this for the instant gratification. It really won't work.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    Never heard of the diet but netting below 1200 doesn't necessarily equal metabolic destruction, who told you that?

Last spring I had a super labour intensive job that burned between 1500-2000 cals a day. I was doing low carb at the time and struggled to eat as many calories as I was burning, let alone an extra 1200 on top of that. As a result it was not uncommon for me to net below zero.

In 2.5 months I went from 165 lbs to 135. During that time I never felt hungry, weak, ill, etc. After my job ended I adopted a normal lifestyle continuing my low carb diet (around 50 g per day) without intensive exercise. I was able to maintain my weight for 4 months until I went on a 6 week vacation and gained 15 lbs :'(

I'm now back on low carb and noticing the weight starting to drop off again. I've never had any noticeable changes in my metabolism.

Everyone is different, but when I was netting 200 or less a day, I wasn't losing weight.

And that is my personal experience ;)

Everyone is different, but when I was netting 200 or less a day, I wasn't losing weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Nah, I used to eat way way less than that (Before I learned about metabolism) and still didn't lose any weight. So if anything just nothing would happen.

Was it low carb?

Either way, the simple fact that this diet uses misleading names like the Birmingham hospital diet, military diet and cardiac diet to get people to follow is enough for me not to trust it.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    No, no, no! Eating hot dogs and saltine crackers is not healthy! Don't do this for the instant gratification. It really won't work.

I'm a vegetarian anyway, I would be doing one of the substitutions.

I honestly don't think it looks "miserable."

But then again I used to starve myself, so maybe now that I'm eating a lot it would be.
  • Dementedllama
    Options

Was it low carb?

Either way, the simple fact that this diet uses misleading names like the Birmingham hospital diet, military diet and cardiac diet to get people to follow is enough for me not to trust it.

Netting less than 200 a day would have to be low everything. But I didn't know it was known under any other names or anything. This is why I came here for advice. ^_^
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Was it low carb?

Netting less than 200 a day would have to be low everything. But I didn't know it was known under any other names or anything. This is why I came here for advice. ^_^

Not necessarily. You can eat 1000 calories with 50% carbs which would be 125 grams of carbs and burn off 800. That would net 200 and still not be low carb. MFP has the default set at 55% for carbs.

*im not bein rude just trying to explain what I mean.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

It's three days on the diet, then four days of eating like you normally do. Then back to the diet another three days, and four more like normal. And this can go on as long as you want, but I read a month would be about normal.

Sounds like the "spinning your wheels" diet. You already know the answer. Just keep eating real food at a moderate deficit.
  • Dementedllama
    Options

Was it low carb?

Not necessarily. You can eat 1000 calories with 50% carbs which would be 125 grams of carbs and burn off 800. That would net 200 and still not be low carb. MFP has the default set at 55% for carbs.

Understandable. I'm a firm believer of eating above BMI now though. I DO believe in metabolic destruction. Just my opinion though, and I respect yours. :)
  • Dementedllama
    Options

Sounds like the "spinning your wheels" diet. You already know the answer. Just keep eating real food at a moderate deficit.

It's "real food" on the diet. (Besides the fact that there's ice cream.) The only thing off about it would be adding exercise.

I doubt I'll do it, but it's interesting to see all the different opinions.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Was it low carb?

Understandable. I'm a firm believer of eating above BMI now though. I DO believe in metabolic destruction. Just my opinion though, and I respect yours. :)

I also do. . My point was only that with low carb you may see a drop in weight that you may not have seen when you were netting 200. I simply meant you can net 200 and still not be low carb.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't know the diet but if it has anything remotely to do with the military procedures, the military seldom is interested in weight loss... they are interested in lean body mass and building muscle strength and agility. I would be wary of any gimmicky plans ...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This is not to say that the military would not be interested in cutting body fat... yes, that area they would have an interest in doing.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    This is not to say that the military would not be interested in cutting body fat... yes, that area they would have an interest in doing.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the military. It's just what it's called. I don't really care what it's called or why. I was just curious as to people opinions and experiences with the calorie deficit part of it. :)