I beat my late night binge cycle

Options
I'm probably one of many people who do well all day, and then around 9 o'clock think "well just one girl scout cookie..." n next thing you know you 500+ calories in to cookies cereal chocolate and anything else within reach! God for around a week i was binging 1000+ calories a night. Everyday i tried to say, NO LATE NIGHT SNACK TODAY. and everyday i failed, untill finally starting around three days ago I've been weening myself down.

Sunday: dark dark chocolate
egg whites
carrots and hummus
cookie bits
3 pieces gum
super low cal almond milk

Sat: Dark dark chocolate
egg whites
carrots and hummus

Tonight: Dark dark chocolate
carrots and hummus

yay! i'm breaking the cycle!! going to try and do just the carrots and hummus tomorrow since its my favorite. Anyone else find success stopping the late night binge cycle?

Replies

• mommyelly85
    Options
    This is exactly my problem. Once I get the kids in bed I just want to attack the pantry of the oreos and golden grahams cereal. But I am chewing gum and drink cherry coke zero(no healthy either) but it takes away he sweet craving and has 0 cals.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I used to eat pickles...

Great job though!
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this. I get a great workout to start my day followed by a day of healthy choices and then when I sit down to chill out with my family and watch TV I start to snack with junk food and wake up the next morning with a "food hangover" and tell myself that I won't do it again. Often I have extra calories saved for my snack and I go past it and am bummed out by my lack of will power and poor decisions.

Good luck with kicking your cycle, you can do it!
  • AubreyLeong
    AubreyLeong Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Late nights are the hardest!! I find I really just have to go to bed early. I do my workouts now early in the morning so I am in bed by 10 at the very latest. Keep up the good work though...it will feel SO rewarding to break that cycle and have control over your eating. It feel so much better than the yuckiness that comes after a binge. And I think it is great that you are tracking everything you eat...that way you are aware of what you are eating and you can stop the cycle. Way to go!!!!!!!!
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I avoid late night binges by finding a way to implement the "junk food" into my day. like today, I only had 1 donut and I had it after a workout. If I would have said no, knowing me I would have waited till the night where nobody was around to hold me accountable, then devoured the box. Not only that, but eating it at night is even worse. I'm not saying that you should give in to every single one of your cravings, I'm just saying implement it in a healthier way you know will serve you better.

Once you can beat your cycle and stick to a plan for getting it down and in a system, you got it. Keep the new cycle going.

Also, like somebody said, gum. I suggest extra sugarfree gum. It has all these good flavors, and I've tried just about all of them. Root beer float is my favorite.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do that too, and cereal can be especially dangerous for me to have around the house. So I try to only have the "boring" ones like Weet-bix and All-bran, and not the interesting, sweeter ones like Just Right or Coco Pops, or even muesli.

I hear that brushing your teeth after you've finished eating helps stop you from eating more.

I've also heard that a lot of it is behavioural association if it's a pattern that occurs every night. Like people trying to quit smoking tend to struggle in a situation where they have a beer in their hand, because in that situation there has always been a cigarette in the other hand. So try changing up whatever your routine is. If it's that you (for example) sit down in front of the TV with a cup of tea and a biscuit, try going for a walk or washing up instead, or having just the cup of tea at the kitchen table. And if you still want to sit down in front of the TV, try even a small change like sitting on a less comfortable dining room chair, or a fitball or something. Anything is worth a try!

Good luck! (to me, also!)
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I go crazy eating late night food.. it's ridiculous! but you seem to be doing good!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!