Has anyone tried Kale?

Options

Replies

• Leigharev
    Leigharev Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kale is fantastic! I am also a fan of kale chips. Easy to make and so good!
    http://www.simoneanne.com/journal/2012/10/cheesy-vegan-kale-chips/
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I adore kale chips, but I always found kale I sautéed at home too bitter...until...I discovered that you should massage it (a serious massage, like kneading dough). It cuts the bitterness right out. I also prefer it chopped up. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/10/food/la-fo-calcook-20120310
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like kale! I use it interchangeably with mustard greens, turnip greens and Swiss chard. It can be subbed for spinach, but needs to be cooked a little longer. It can be subbed for collard greens, but can be cooked for less time.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a kale, white bean, and ground turkey soup recipe. I liked it alot
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Red Kale is GROSS!!! My fiancé got some for me to try.. O.o He couldn't do it either... Regular green kale is good though! My aunt bakes it with lemon juice and EVOO =)
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I adore kale chips, but I always found kale I sautéed at home too bitter...until...I discovered that you should massage it (a serious massage, like kneading dough). It cuts the bitterness right out. I also prefer it chopped up. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/10/food/la-fo-calcook-20120310

The bitterness of kale (or any leafy green) can be avoided by blanching! Submerge in boiling water for 10-15 secs and the bitterness really dies down. Also it stops the veggies from paling in color..and maintains that bright green.

But in my experience...Kale, Chard, go great with some white beans, good tomatoes, and olive oil. They are intrinsically meaty, and have great "bite". all around almost my favorite veggie.
  • AnnieMeredith
    AnnieMeredith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kale chips are actually my entire reason for being
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love it sauteed.... Tear or chop it up coarsely, then boil it for about 5 minutes. Drain, submerge in ice water, then drain again. Heat up a little bit of olive oil in a pan and add some chopped up garlic. Once the garlic starts to brown a little, throw in the kale and a tablespoon or two of dried cranberries. Saute a few minutes until the kale is tender and its all hot. Super delicious! The sweetness of the cranberries pairs nicely with the kale, and the cooking takes away a lot of the bitterness I find.
  • inyourfaceskinnywitch
    Options
    I like to tear it into bite size pieces and toss with some extra light olive oil and tsp of sea salt, then bake till crispy. Lovely chips!
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses so this might be a repeat sorry.
    Anyway, my man makes Kale Soup which has become my favorite soup of all time

Kale
    Kielbasa
    potatoes
    season

LOL, I know it's so vague, but if you do a search for Portuguese Kale Soup you should be able to find a great recipe. Sorry I don't have more detail. I just wanted to give you/kale a shout out :)
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Kale and swiss chard are really delish and you can saute them just like baby spinach - the stems are also very good for yuoou - just take the very bottoms off - wash thorougly and cut up into small pcs - I heat up some olive oil or coconut oil and then add some minced garlic, lemon juice and white cooking wine and throw in the greens and cover and after approx 5 mins I toss with tongs - you can mix them together or separate - I saute spring mix as well as butterhead lettuce too - I tried collard greens but was not too fond of the them. I also use these in my NutriBullet "blast" with some cucmbers, celery, apples and either of banana or an avacado for the creamy effect. Also add water to thin it out a bit - was doing a blast for breakfast and one for lunch and then a healty dinner of skinless chicken or turkey cutlets, lamb or white fish - no beef or deli meats or dairy, processed foods and starchy carbs.

All these greens are basically in the spinach family - check them out as they are great for your health.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use it in my breakfast smoothies! Can't even taste it! 2cups Kale, 1Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter, 1 Banana, 1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder, 1/4c Almond milk & 2c ice
    Yum!
    Been wanting to try Kale chips! Hear they are awesome!
  • fredcrna
    fredcrna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    crispy Kale from Ina Garten's Barefoot contessa latest cook book "Foolproof" Probably can get recipe on line. You bake it on cookie sheets in oven in olive oil and salt. wonderful.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sauteed and mixed into grain salads like barley with a bunch of other veggies and a poached egg on top. Plus hot sauce. Nom nom nom
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've never tried cooking it, but I put it in my salad once and it ruined a perfectly good salad. =( No more kale for me.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    kale chips = delicious. addictive like crack.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/kale_chips.html

soup:

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/island-kale-sweet-potato-soup-recipe-8123?click=recipe_sr

also, i worked in a cafe that served (mostly) healthy foods and we had a kale salad:

remove stems from kale, and tear into bite-sized pieces.

dressing:
    1 tbs olive oil
    2 tbs sesame oil
    3 tbs rice wine vinegar
    1/8 tsp dried chipotle pepper

(this makes a LOT of dressing, because we used to make a lot of salad at one time, so maybe start with teaspoons instead of tablespoons. and just a pinch of chipotle.)

massage into the kale until it gets into all the nooks and crannies. a little goes a long way.

and this goes for ALL kale recipes: make sure you wash that stuff! again and again! nothing worse than sandy greens...
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I cook a giant pile of kale on top of Ramen noodles. It fills me up more than just the noodles. Add sriracha sauce for extra flavor and heat, and its the perfect winter soup!
  • Smoothroz
    Smoothroz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Kale is a green and you would cook it just like any other greens. Little water, little seasoning. I blend it into my smoothies and it is high in iron. It is really good.
  • KristyWalker83
    KristyWalker83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks so much everyone! There are some great ideas in there that I can't wait to try! I did have kale tonight with salmon and veggies and it wasn't bad, it'll take a little getting used to and I will definitely chop it more finely next time but there will be a next time! I can't wait to try the Kale chips either!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ways to get more iron in my diet and have recently discovered that dried parsley & thyme are great sources with is fab cuz I love to sprinkle those over my dinner anyway. Another one that keeps popping up on high iron lists is kale, has anyone tried it? Is it nice? How do I cook it and last but not least has anyone got any yummy recipes that incorporate kale?
    Lol, I just ate a kind of soup I made. Kale, thyme, italian parsley, garlic, onions, lima beans, carrots and a little cottage ham. Too funny, that you posted this. I cooked it in a crock pot.