Starting today!!

Options
I signed up last week, but didn't start until today. I was reluctant in starting another "DIET" because I have failed at nearly all of them. I need to keep telling myself this is a lifestyle change not a diet. I have a long journey in front of me, but I CAN DO IT!! I have 100 pounds to lose. I am also looking for support. I need to be held accountable...EVERYDAY. I am 36 years old and I have three beautiful children. I am looking forward to completing my journey.

Replies

• IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    WE CAN DO IT!! I have about the same to lose and started recently. Welcome and I hope you get as hooked as I am to MFP!! :flowerforyou:
  • kghan
    kghan Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I just signed up. I am 38 with 3 beautiful daughters and a great husband (who thinks I don't need to lose weight). My goal right now is 20 lbs but I could lose a little more. I have also signed up for a yoga class and a couch to 5k running program. Hoping this helps me get on the right track!:smile: Cheers!
  • kimberlee89
    kimberlee89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    we can do it. i too am trying to look at it as a way of life not a diet. i have about 50 pounds to lose, for myself not anyone else. my husband also loves me the way i am.:smile:
  • nicolem133
    nicolem133 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I just started too and wanted to wish you good luck. I want to lose 120 pounds and i'm looking forward to the challenge.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My best suggsetions is to find a supportive online thread here. A group with similar weight. It really helps! Good luck!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Make friends and they will help you stay motivated, or when necessary ride you *kitten* like Seattle Slew :wink:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You can do this,,, just choose to do it, and do it.

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about 16 months now and we've done well. Lost about 135 pounds between us, and we're in much better shape. You can do it too.

For inspiration you need to do 2 things.

1 - go to the "Success stories" section of this message board and read the stories and look at the pictures.

2 - (and this is most important) You need to understand that the people with the great stories and amazing pictures are just like you. They're not smarter or stronger or wiser or anything,,, they're just like you. They just started 6 months earlier than you did. They've done their best and screwed it up and cried with frustration and struggled with the evil cupcake,,, just as you will. They got it right 80% of the time and are well on the way to accomplishing their goals - and you will do the same if you choose to do it. You can do it,,,

"Do - or do not. There is no 'try"
    Yoda.
  • nikkolatwell
    Options
    I am restarting today ; ) I began with about 120 lbs to loose I am down the first 20 and took a break, some by choice some by illness. But I am back now if you need support, I'm with you : )
  • shadows1177
    shadows1177 Posts: 33
    Options
    You and I have just about the same amount to loose (give or a take a little) and I can tell you that I was feeling the same way. But as soon as I started putting in the foods that I had eaten on my first day and took a good look at them and the fact that I wasnt really doing anything I got to work. Its only been a couple of days and I have been working out really hard and a lot and making sure that I am eating well and trying to eat more foods that are a sort of negative calorie foods (foods that use more calories to digest than they contain) and I have lost 6 pounds (its been about 3.5 days). Granted, thats a lot in just a couple of days but I have a lot to loose too and seeing that much gone already really helps to keep me working out even though I am already a bit sore from the day before. Aside from feeling a little sore I have a ton of energy and am not sleeping as much as I normally do.
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome and we are all glad to see you here. Good luck and you can do it!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Welcome, You have come to the right place. And your right, I failed at every diet. But I am doing pretty good at eating healthy and practicing portion control. You can do this.
  • jazzmom1
    jazzmom1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have 36 to lose. Just starting today. Need encouragement and hints. Looking forward to losing it this time!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Again:

For inspiration you need to do 2 things.

1 - go to the "Success stories" section of this message board and read the stories and look at the pictures.

2 - (and this is most important) You need to understand that the people with the great stories and amazing pictures are just like you. They're not smarter or stronger or wiser or anything,,, they're just like you. They just started 6 months earlier than you did. They've done their best and screwed it up and cried with frustration and struggled with the evil cupcake,,, just as you will. They got it right 80% of the time and are well on the way to accomplishing their goals - and you will do the same if you choose to do it. You can do it,,,

"Do - or do not. There is no 'try"
    Yoda.