Why, cat, why?

Options

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Its an honor for your cat to bring home the "kill" and its usually at the place the cat goes in and out of the house. Praise the cat for sharing irs prized gift.

^^ This Kitties only give you their presents if they love and respect you. It shows your cat acknowledges you are its protector and family. It is high praise since cats are not the most social of creatures.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Most of my cats have been rescues or adopted. I think each is unique with individual needs & preferences, plus the environment they live in has bearing as well. I had a cat once who showed up on our doorstep in a storm, with no claws front or back. We kept her indoors as she couldn't defend herself and the neighborhood was too dangerous for her. The cat I have now was adopted last summer & was mostly an outdoor cat all his life. He stays mostly inside now... his choice, but still asks to go outside a couple times during the day, often to hang out with another kittie who lives nearby. It's a safe neighborhood, tucked away from traffic, with nice neighbors. I feel absolutely fine with letting him out, despite some risks that I'm sure are still there but life is never risk-free for any mortal creature.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and advice. Even those who may disagree with me, I'm sure you care about your pets and are doing what you think is best. That lady who said she hates cats...that was just a nasty couple of posts, rude, presumptuous, and generally repulsive. Welcome to my ignore list.

Keep the cat stories coming you guys! :drinker:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Our cat used to leave them at the foot of my parents bed lol
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Most of my cats have been rescues or adopted. I think each is unique with individual needs & preferences, plus the environment they live in has bearing as well. I had a cat once who showed up on our doorstep in a storm, with no claws front or back. We kept her indoors as she couldn't defend herself and the neighborhood was too dangerous for her. The cat I have now was adopted last summer & was mostly an outdoor cat all his life. He stays mostly inside now... his choice, but still asks to go outside a couple times during the day, often to hang out with another kittie who lives nearby. It's a safe neighborhood, tucked away from traffic, with nice neighbors. I feel absolutely fine with letting him out, despite some risks that I'm sure are still there but life is never risk-free for any mortal creature.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and advice. Even those who may disagree with me, I'm sure you care about your pets and are doing what you think is best. That lady who said she hates cats...that was just a nasty couple of posts, rude, presumptuous, and generally repulsive. Welcome to my ignore list.

Keep the cat stories coming you guys! :drinker:
    :flowerforyou:
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My cat prefers red meat - that would be male cardinals only. I mean what's up with that? Only cardinals. She won't even look at a starling eating from her food bowl.
  • Kerraz22
    Options
    Indoor cats live longer healthier lives.

The cats in my life (all allowed outdoors):
    * Kay died at 12 of cancer.
    * Ching died at 21 of old age.
    * Fish died at 17 from complications after dental surgery.
    * Loki and Gordon are both going strong at 13 and 7 respectively.

None were hit by cars, savaged by dogs, or poisoned by evil neighbours.

I am a bit worried about Loki's health, because he doesn't go outside much (and isn't interested in indoor games), so he is getting very overweight. We try to limit his food, but he and Gordon fight (indoors) when they are hungry.

With cats, as with children, we tend to over-estimate the outdoor dangers and under-estimate the risks of inactivity and obesity.

Well, you obviously live in some sort of little kitty Utopia. Most people don't.
  • Kerraz22
    Options
    I have 3 indoor only cats that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many cats get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other cats. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your cats, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest cats you will ever see. They have tons of toys to "kill" and scratching posts and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are cats. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your cats?

Let's see how this sounds with children:

"I have 3 indoor only children that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many children get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other kids. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your children, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest kids you will ever see. They have tons of toys to play with and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are children. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your kids?"

... ?

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. This is ridiculous.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well, you obviously live in some sort of little kitty Utopia. Most people don't.

I live in an ordinary suburb, and have lived, with cats, in ordinary suburbs all my life.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Could be worse. This is what my cat brought in from outside the other day. He lost it just after I took this photo, and it took us days to hunt it down.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have 3 indoor only cats that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many cats get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other cats. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your cats, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest cats you will ever see. They have tons of toys to "kill" and scratching posts and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are cats. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your cats?

Exactly this. It's not safe for them outside.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Indoor cats live longer healthier lives.

The cats in my life (all allowed outdoors):
    * Kay died at 12 of cancer.
    * Ching died at 21 of old age.
    * Fish died at 17 from complications after dental surgery.
    * Loki and Gordon are both going strong at 13 and 7 respectively.

None were hit by cars, savaged by dogs, or poisoned by evil neighbours.

I am a bit worried about Loki's health, because he doesn't go outside much (and isn't interested in indoor games), so he is getting very overweight. We try to limit his food, but he and Gordon fight (indoors) when they are hungry.

With cats, as with children, we tend to over-estimate the outdoor dangers and under-estimate the risks of inactivity and obesity.

I've been in cat rescue for 20 years.. I've seen more cats than i can count who have been infected with FIV and feline leukemia from coming into contact with other infected cats. Both are incurable.

I've also had more than one friend who have lost cats to being hit by cars, being eaten by coyotes and hawks, and being attacked by neighborhood dogs.

Maybe in your area they're safe, but the majority of places they're not. People are just so determined to justify letting them live an outdoor existence. Like these people whos cat has lost both legs on one side and they STILL let him outside.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/meet-caffrey-the-awesome-cat-with-only-two-legs
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    They love you - maybe its just their way of saying, please don't below 1200 :laugh:
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My parents' house, the house I grew up in, has an attached garage and my father put a "kitty door" in it for one of his cats "Suzy". While all the other cats they've had have been indoor cats, this cat was an outdoor cat who resided in the heated garage (she was quite territorial and didn't get along with the indoor cats and seemed happier outside anyway). I can't count the number of dead animals that were left at the door to the garage. There were numerous times where we had absentmindedly opened the door, stepped in as we reached around to flip the light switch to turn on the light in the garage and actually stepped into some "present" Suzy had left us. She'd bring in squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, birds, pretty much anything she could get her claws in. And let me tell you, for someone who normally walked around barefoot all the time...you can only just imagine the horror.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Keep your cat indoors. Problem solved.

I wish more people would do this. That way the birds at my bird feeder don't have to face as much danger from the neighbor's wandering cat. Plus, I'm allergic to cats, so your wandering cat that gets into my yard and porch is a problem for me. Additionally, they don't get out of my way, so I'm afraid I'm going to run over the darn things some day. I also worry about them getting into the poison that I have out (for a vole problem) or getting into my yard after I've just sprayed for weeds (for this same reason I tell the neighbor kids to not use my yard as a short cut sometimes).

Seriously, keep the cat inside. I don't let a pet dog out if it's not under control (leash or fence) and I had terriers which were bred to hunt. Why should a cat be any different? Or, make one of those cat runs so the cat can be "outside" but only in a mesh tunnel (safer for the cat and the other wildlife).

Unless it's a semi-feral barn cat on a farm, keep your "pet" cats inside.
  • BamBam125
    Options
    Let's see how this sounds with children:

"I have 3 indoor only children that will always be indoor only. I have seen way too many children get hit by cars, attacked by dogs, or even other kids. (Not to mention the myriad of diseases and parasites they can pick up - many of which YOU can get) It is so sad and absolutely preventable. If you love your children, keep them inside. Mine are the happiest kids you will ever see. They have tons of toys to play with and sunny windows to nap in. The idea that it is cruel or "unnatural" to keep them inside is such a misconception. They are children. They have ZERO idea of what exists beyond their front door. People wouldn't let their dogs roam loose around the neighborhood so why your kids?"

... ?
    Not a fair comparison. You can teach children proper behavior for when they are in public. If your child is not old enough or well behaved enough to manage themselves alone in public, then yes, they should be an "indoor child" and you can take them outside only when you can keep a proper eye on them.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow, I find some comments here just incredible. Cats can be just as territorial as dogs in some cases. My father's cat, Suzy, never wandered off our property. In fact, she was even seen chasing dogs off (yes...as I grew up I can honestly say that the only time I ever saw a dog chase a cat was on cartoons, irl it was always the other way around). She never bothered people though. How many times do you hear about people suffering from cat bites or attacks versus dog bites or even bee stings? Pet cats that are outdoor or even indoor/outdoor cats know where their bread is buttered and usually stay close to home and are not usually the cats that are wandering about getting into neighbors' yards or getting hit by cars. Those, dear people, are strays wandering around looking for food and a place to shelter. Pets don't need to look for those things, they know where those things are. Those strays are the reason we spay and neuter our outdoor pets.
  • BamBam125
    Options
    Pet cats that are outdoor or even indoor/outdoor cats know where their bread is buttered and usually stay close to home and are not usually the cats that are wandering about getting into neighbors' yards or getting hit by cars. Those, dear people, are strays wandering around looking for food and a place to shelter. Pets don't need to look for those things, they know where those things are. Those strays are the reason we spay and neuter our outdoor pets.
    "Close to home" is still "too close" for me. I like cats just fine in someone's house, but my neighbors have a 15 year old sweetheart of a cat that is regularly in my yard and she doesn't see very well. I worry about her getting into things or hiding under my car and getting hurt. She stays "close to home" but she's still in "my territory" instead of "her territory." I would never intentionally hurt her, but I wish they would just keep her inside. She's fine inside most of the day. She doesn't really need to go outside.

In my parent's house, the next door neighbor's younger tabby cat is constantly prowling my parent's yard. He naps on the hood of their car, he chases the birds from the feeder, he kills chipmunks and baby bunnies and leaves them in the yard where my mom nearly steps on them while mowing. He's a nice cat generally but he can make trouble and get in the way a lot more than the neighbors think he does.

I've known a number of neighbors who have found their cats dead in the street because they got hit by a car, or they wandered off and never returned or returned with injuries. Not to mention the health concerns like feline HIV and the like. I'm glad you spay and neuter any outdoor pets. And I have nothing against indoor cats or "cat people." But I do thinks cats should be held to the same rules as other pets. If my dog has to be on a leash, so should your cat.

My parent's first house had a problem with the neighbor's pet cats as well. They kept using the front garden of as their litter box. It started to smell and he couldn't get the cats to leave it alone. Dad had to rip up all his plants and replace them with plants with thorns, and change the mulch to a different type (not a cheap landscaping project) to get the neighbor's pet cats to stop using our garden beds as their litter boxes.

As I said before, I grew up with terriers. Those dogs were breed to hunt and they were very good at it. We had "gifts" from our dog on a regular basis. (Never birds, but rather lizards and snacks and the occasional mouse that would get into the garage.) There was no doubt my terrier had an instinct to hunt and roam, but she was also a perfectly healthy and happy pet living within the limits her human family provided (leash and fence).
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandreports/releases/110314.html

Keep your cats indoors! It's better for them anyway. They are perfectly happy in the home. The reality is that cats can be harmed by all sorts of things. I just read about a person's cat who entered the wrong garage and nearly starved to death. They do get lost. Also, if you live in Florida, Eagles will eat cats! We have multiple nesting pairs and we've warned people but then they don't listen and their cats vanish. There are tons of animals that will eat them - gators, cougars, and even eagles. Basically, cats can live healthy lives if their indoors. You can avoid fleas - save some birds - and avoid them catching something like rabies which can be transmitted to your family. Our cat was spoiled and taken care of and never went outside. She did not suffer at all and basically was played with and had a wonderful family who gave her toys and everything. Cats don't need to be outdoors.

Cat Scratch fever - get from licking feces off of themselves from fleas - They get the fleas from living outdoors!
    http://animal.discovery.com/healthy-pets/cat-health-101/can-humans-contract-cat-diseases.html

Create an outdoor play area for them! Avoid the horrible diseases they can catch.
    http://animal.discovery.com/healthy-pets/cat-health-101/dangers-of-letting-my-cat-outdoors.html

I always feel sad about outdoor cats because they are cold or can suffer horrible deaths. I know some will disagree with me but I really never saw our cat suffer from being inside. You can even take your cat for a walk on a leash if you want to do so or they sell a special outdoor tunnel system so they can experience being outside without so many dangers.

Monica

P.S. Check your city laws - many do require that cats be indoor animals only and if caught - they can be put down if there is no way to identify them. The city I live in requires that cats be indoors and does not allow for outdoor cats and if something happens, the owner will be the one who can get into trouble.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Wow, I find some comments here just incredible. Cats can be just as territorial as dogs in some cases. My father's cat, Suzy, never wandered off our property.

A good friend of mine had a coyote kill one of her cats in her own back yard. Proximity to home doesn't equal safety.