Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm lost...

hey all...
I am at a complete loss as to what to do... I have a brain that retains too much information and too many different approaches makes me confused as to what I should do for myself to lose weight!!

Here's some info about me
27 y/o female
CW 193.16
Here's the thing... my MAIN job is considered a desk job, however I do spend a great deal of it on my feet since i work a reception office and my desk and what not is high. I have 2 part-time jobs (teaching aquafitness & working at Tim Hortons which is on my feet constantly)
I teach aqua-fitness twice a week (wore a HRM and it calculates about 550/class)
I do strength training 3 days/week
I recently started doing more HIIT cardio (integrated even on weight training days)
I occasionnally swim a training program (when I don't work my Tim Hortons job until 11 at night)

My BMR is estimated as 1580 Calories/Day (as per MFP)
But, how do I calculate my TDEE?? Should I be eating at a minimum 1580 calories/day? MFP sets me as 1200 calories/day for a 2lb loss and a trainer suggested 1400 calories/day. I'M CONFUSED AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.
I have an endomorph body-type, I know I should be eating lean proteins and loads of vegetables (which end up being hard to do) and doing extra cardio... how much is too much exercise or how many calories am i supposed to eat??

HELP please!!

Replies

• Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    How's your weight loss so far? What's the average a week? If you're at 1 or 2 pounds a week of loss, you shouldn't overanalyze all you're doing. It looks like you know what you're doing and being super strict on your habits and know every little number might not be that helpful.

Take me for instance, I lost 57lbs since July, and seriously, I don't give a rats *kitten* about the calories I eat. I don't bust my calories very often, but I won't refrain from going to restaurants with friends and eat crap from time to time. But I still lose very slowly, in a healthy manner. I track my calorie burns but I never check the amount of calories I burned every week, I don't care really, I just have fun doing it, so I do it. The body adapts very well to this. You should trust your body a little more ;)
  • My weight loss sucks so far (I know i've lost 43 pounds but that's since August 2011) I would like to be losing on average 1-2 pounds a week considering I still have 53 pounds to go to reach my goal which is not even my 'healthy' BMI range, that would be 65 pounds more or less... I just don't know what I should be doing anymore. Eat more, eat less, exercise more, or less... it's just so annoying. I don't have anyone to tell me ok eat x amount of calories/day
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    A nutritionist could probably help you, if you can afford it... My expertise pretty much ends there :\
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    my favorite and most easily understood way to get my TDEE was by going through scoobys calculator (google it). You set your TDEE based on how much working out you do, not so much how long you sit behind a desk all day.

Then eat at -20% of your TDEE. It's been working for me. It's easy, you don't eat back your exercise cals (because they're built in).

ps, just worry about eating healthy, not setting a certain poundage per week otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    I am like you, I am bout half way to goal and its much slower now. You can use all these calculations and theories but you need to see how your body is reacting, If you arent losing the 1lb a week, then try lowering your calories and give it two weeks to see results.

Key to long term: adapt and adjust
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Read the links that are posted.... pick a number that seems right to you. Stick with it for 2 weeks. Weigh yourself and measure yourself..or better yet have your trainer do a body fat percentage with calipers (before and after the 2 weeks). See what the difference is. Make adjustments. That's all anyone can do really, and you can too.
  • krisiepoo
    I am like you, I am bout half way to goal and its much slower now. You can use all these calculations and theories but you need to see how your body is reacting, If you arent losing the 1lb a week, then try lowering your calories and give it two weeks to see results.

or RAISE your cals! lowering cals isn't always the correct way to do things, society has programmed that into our minds and it's not always correct for everyone! and truly, if you're making a change, you should give it 4-6 weeks to see results. Do measurements, take pics but don't rely on the scale 100% because it fluctuates as part of a normal body
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If your priority is to make it simple then clear your mind of targets and calculations - pick a number (over your BMR) and stick to it for four weeks.
    Then reassess how you feel and what your weight loss has been - adjust as required.
  • slogan1968
    slogan1968 Posts: 9 Member
    I have lost 65lbs since April 22, 2012. I fell off the wagon around the holidays and found myself up 10 lbs after a month of being stupid. Luckily its all back off and I am on track to hit my goal. The diet that has worked best for me is Medifast. I have looked long and hard at every program for years and yet this one really has it figured out. I am helping some people on my work team to get back in shape and would be happy to offer my advice if you would like it. Since taking the test to be an independent Health Coach, I have read a lot of material on BMR and TEE.

to nutshell it, be at a 500 calorie deficiency per day and it works out to 1# of fat a week. don't get discouraged and stay focused. Be honest at what you eat and stay active.

it looks like your doing the right things. Also consider a fat burner (Green Tea, etc...) to coax the process from time to time...

Good Luck!
  • krisiepoo
    I have lost 65lbs since April 22, 2012. I fell off the wagon around the holidays and found myself up 10 lbs after a month of being stupid. Luckily its all back off and I am on track to hit my goal. The diet that has worked best for me is Medifast. I have looked long and hard at every program for years and yet this one really has it figured out. I am helping some people on my work team to get back in shape and would be happy to offer my advice if you would like it. Since taking the test to be an independent Health Coach, I have read a lot of material on BMR and TEE.

to nutshell it, be at a 500 calorie deficiency per day and it works out to 1# of fat a week. don't get discouraged and stay focused. Be honest at what you eat and stay active.

it looks like your doing the right things. Also consider a fat burner (Green Tea, etc...) to coax the process from time to time...

my email is go4fit@att.net if you would like to review things in detail.

Good Luck!

14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising
    a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
  • Thanks everyone for the input :-) i'll be upping my calories to a whopping 1700 (more or less) based on your suggestions... I tried the eat more to lose weight approach, but probably didn't stick to it long enough... stupid me, wanting results overnight practically! Will also be measuring myself once/week to take note of additional progress, not just on the scale!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'm an over thinker too and if I read too much into what everyone think is the best for me and their opinion I'd be confused and stuck where I was a year ago...

What works for me, right now (maybe it'll change), is portion control, drinking more water, and moving more.
  • slogan1968
    slogan1968 Posts: 9 Member
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising
    a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. Being that I wasn't trying to profit, I was at first surprised at your comment, but can see how it may have looked after reading it a second time. I was just excited to start sharing on the site as I have sent many people here to benefit from the focus it provides to hit our health goals. This is a FREE site that does more than many sites that people pay an arm and leg for, and for that I am grateful. One shouldn't have to go into debt to be healthy. All you really need to know is how to monitor what you eat and to be active.

I'll read the guidelines for posting to get acquainted with the rules.

Have a great week!
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member

or RAISE your cals! lowering cals isn't always the correct way to do things, society has programmed that into our minds and it's not always correct for everyone! and truly, if you're making a change, you should give it 4-6 weeks to see results. Do measurements, take pics but don't rely on the scale 100% because it fluctuates as part of a normal body

Let me clarify. Find the point that you maintain your weight, and lower from there. Yes eat more calories if you are below your BMR but if you are eating say 2000 and maintaining, dont fall into that "eat more weigh less" crap, lower them say 100 calories and note changes in a 2 week period. I fell into that eat more weigh less and guess what I maintained for 6 months.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. NOT SOME NON MEDICAL PERSON ON THE INTERNET. Reading studies or taking a class does not make you an expert. I am not one and neither is 99% of the people that post on here.
  • Thanks everyone for all your input. I am going to stick to a min. 1700 cal/day intake for at least 2-3 weeks and see what goes from there... I know I've lost inches, but it's the number I want to see!! However I will not force myself to eat anything if i am not that hungry... like yesterday I came in at 1540 about. i was beat and went to bed.