I need some advice!!

Options
So today I'm going to my Aunt's house for kind of a support meeting. Last September my mom,sister,2cousins and Aunt started meeting to support each other in our weight loss efforts. This stopped when my mom left to snowbird in Florida in November. Now that she is back we are starting again.

What I need help with though is on how I can support my mom. Since she got back she is very touchy. Any time you talk about weight loss, healthy eating, etc. she just says I already know. She says over and aver again how she wants to make a lifestyle change, in yet she barely eats all day long, she'll pick at everything(healthy or no) and she'll binge at night (chocolate,candy,mcdonalds etc.).

I definately don't want nor try to push any ideas on her but I want her to see her bad habits. I don't know what it is anymore but watching someone stuff their face with a big mac, sauce running down their chin, is starting to gross me out!

Replies

• tparkin
    tparkin Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So today I'm going to my Aunt's house for kind of a support meeting. Last September my mom,sister,2cousins and Aunt started meeting to support each other in our weight loss efforts. This stopped when my mom left to snowbird in Florida in November. Now that she is back we are starting again.

What I need help with though is on how I can support my mom. Since she got back she is very touchy. Any time you talk about weight loss, healthy eating, etc. she just says I already know. She says over and aver again how she wants to make a lifestyle change, in yet she barely eats all day long, she'll pick at everything(healthy or no) and she'll binge at night (chocolate,candy,mcdonalds etc.).

I definately don't want nor try to push any ideas on her but I want her to see her bad habits. I don't know what it is anymore but watching someone stuff their face with a big mac, sauce running down their chin, is starting to gross me out!
  • Christine30412
    Options
    I think that everyone has to make the change to live a healthier lifestyle in their own time. My boyfriend is kind of like that and I am doing my best to encourage him to eat better, without being the pushy overprotective girlfriend. The thing is your mom is going to do what she wants. Maybe shes not ready to make the change yet, it took me months to realize I have to start eating better and excercising. Just be supportive of her and complement her on healthy choices she makes.
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    Maybe your group could share your food journals to see what everyone is eating and how they feel when they eat better. Use it as a 'new food idea' tool without putting anyone on the spot and maybe she will see how she should be eating. It will be her choice but a little nudge by those close to her who are also going through the same thing might help.
    Or try a pot luck lunch. Where you each bring a new food idea and swap recipes to show how well you can eat all day long.
  • tamrajd
    tamrajd Posts: 86
    Options
    I think I would just try to lead by good example. She may not jump on board at first, because she has to get the frame of mind so she can start again. But she will be encouraged watching you and the good healthy choices you are making, even if she doesn't say so believe me she's watching. Good luck!
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

To me you sound a little judgmental :frown: . Just set a good example and it should take care of itself. One can't force ones beliefs on someone else :wink: . Some times wisdom doesn't come with age.

Take care and good luck :drinker:

24167.png
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I can relate- my mom always says she wants to lose weight and she won't eat all day then at night she will go crazy- or she will say I just want a little bit of food but then hit up fast food later on its like she is puttin on an act around people- but you can't change people they will have to want to change for theirselves-- when she is ready she will make the changes that she needs too- I know its hard but its what has to be done-