HRM Calories burned in a day

Options
All this BMR/TDEE stuff is so confusing, one puts my calories at @1710 and the other @1500. I wore my HRM a full day just to see what I burn, just existing, and that was 2276. So how do i calculate what i should eat to lose weight? Hypothetically, you shouldnt eat less that what your body needs to run, which would be the 2276, right? but to lose weight i would need to eat 500 less that that, which would be 1776; but that seems too high? Any advice out there?
PS There is no exercise involved in these numbers...

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1750, so your 1776 number doesn't seem unrealistic. Is there any special reason you don't believe it?
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    BMR is what the body burns just to stay alive.

TDEE is what you burn doing your normally daily routine.
  • cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Trial and error? Eat 1700 a day for a few weeks and see if you lose. I'm a 153 pound female and I lose at 1700, slow but it's a lose and I'm not hungry. I try to have one or two days a week where I'm at 1500 and life happens so occasionally I have a 2000 day. I exercise 3X per week.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    HRM's don't work that way. The algorithms are set for a significantly raised heart rate so you get exaggerated numbers if you wear it when your heart rate is lower than it would be doing cardio activity. Take that number out of the equation.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Also, HRMs use an algorithm that is only accurate at elevated cardio exercise type levels. You can't wear them all day and get an accurate reading. You need a step type one for that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    HRM's don't work that way. The algorithms are set for a significantly raised heart rate so you get exaggerated numbers if you wear it when your heart rate is lower than it would be doing cardio activity. Take that number out of the equation.

Agreed. For something to wear all day, you would need something like a fit bit.
  • nsanville
    nsanville Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Agreed. For something to wear all day, you would need something like a fit bit.

I was almost considering that might have been the case, just because it seemed a little high for just existence. I am just trying everything becuase I cannot find a right number of calories for weightloss. 1200 is too low, 1700 seems too high, and I dont lose jack at 1500.
  • nsanville
    Options

would averageing my BMR and TDEE and then subtracting 500 from that be a good place to start calorie wise? I cannot find the magic number :/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    All this BMR/TDEE stuff is so confusing, one puts my calories at @1710 and the other @1500. I wore my HRM a full day just to see what I burn, just existing, and that was 2276. So how do i calculate what i should eat to lose weight? Hypothetically, you shouldnt eat less that what your body needs to run, which would be the 2276, right? but to lose weight i would need to eat 500 less that that, which would be 1776; but that seems too high? Any advice out there?

Agreed with those saying forget the heart rate monitor number, it doesn't work like that.

There isn't a huge difference between 1710 and 1500. Pick one. Pick halfway between the two, whatever. Eat that for a few weeks. Not one, more like 3 or 4. See how that works. If you aren't losing weight, lower a bit. Stick with that for a bit.

These are all just estimates, a starting place.

ETA - also - is there going to be exercise?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

would averageing my BMR and TDEE and then subtracting 500 from that be a good place to start calorie wise? I cannot find the magic number :/

No. They suggest eating somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE. FIgure your TDEE and subtract 20% that is your number.
  • nannyal
    Options
    start with the1700 and see how you go. If after aweek or so you haven't lost some weight lower it. You'll get it right in the end. Good luck.:smile:
  • nsanville
    Options

Agreed with those saying forget the heart rate monitor number, it doesn't work like that.

There isn't a huge difference between 1710 and 1500. Pick one. Pick halfway between the two, whatever. Eat that for a few weeks. Not one, more like 3 or 4. See how that works. If you aren't losing weight, lower a bit. Stick with that for a bit.

Yes, i usually do 30 day shred 3-4 days a week. I have been going back and forth with higher and lower calories since Sept, and I get discouraged super easily. I get down to 156 and then stall out, and cannot get below that....Then i just flucuate between 159 and 156...I am setting up to go see a trainer, and hopefully he can look at my food and see what the effing problem is....
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yes, i usually do 30 day shred 3-4 days a week. I have been going back and forth with higher and lower calories since Sept, and I get discouraged super easily. I get down to 156 and then stall out, and cannot get below that....Then i just flucuate between 159 and 156...I am setting up to go see a trainer, and hopefully he can look at my food and see what the effing problem is....

So what are you eating now, what were you going back and forth between? And why are you not accounting for exercise, most TDEE calculations account for it.
    It is important that you stick with it for awhile to see results.
    Another idea is to leave the scale alone for awhile. Take pictures or use a measuring tape. The scale can often be unreliable measure of progress. If it is discouraging you, maybe just leave it for awhile and give this some time to work.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Are you not losing with the MFP numbers? Although there is a lot of talk of other numbers on here, I've always just used the ones MFP gives me and haven't had a problem with them. Maybe I just got lucky though.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Since you rarely log your calories how do you know what you're actually eating? A first step would be to honestly log your food at whatever number you decide to use.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I just had a look at your diary. I didn't go back too far because most of the days weren't logged that I looked at. The ones that were were around 1000 calories.

My honest advice - pick a number, MFP's number, or whatever calculation you want, and follow it. Log as accurately as possible and consistently. Review your progress in one month.
  • nsanville
    Options
    Are you not losing with the MFP numbers? Although there is a lot of talk of other numbers on here, I've always just used the ones MFP gives me and haven't had a problem with them. Maybe I just got lucky though.
    Initially MFP had me at 1200 calories, which was unrealistc for me, and it was making me prone to binging...So i was reading about all the different calorie caluclations, so i ahve tried different combos to see what a good number is to help me lose, and I still cannot find it
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Initially MFP had me at 1200 calories, which was unrealistc for me, and it was making me prone to binging...So i was reading about all the different calorie caluclations, so i ahve tried different combos to see what a good number is to help me lose, and I still cannot find it

That is likely because you selected sedentary, which most people aren't, and choose too high a weight loss per week goal. 2 lbs a week is only appropriate for people who have 50 or more pounds to lose. MFP also expects you to log your exercise and eat the extra calorie which would put you above 1200.
    I see now it has you at 1390 which is better. IF you log your exercise you are likely going to be eating 1600-1700.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    THIS ^
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Q - Why are you not losing weight?

A - You're not recording calories consumed correctly
    You're not recording exercise calories burned correctly

Looking at your diary, you haven't recorded anything. Problem solved :flowerforyou: