Side Salad calories

Options
Do you count it ? What is the estimate calories for a cup or a cup a cup and a half of side salad? There is a mom and pop style japanese place that I have to go there to eat often, they food menu comes with side salad. Usually I just tried to calculate it from pieces of vegetable but when it comes to shredded lettuce and such I don't count it-I always skip the shredded veggies in salad portion though . I am however, curious of how much calories it is. Does anybody know how many calories it is?

Replies

• scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't usually bother counting the salad portion. You could calculate all of the veggies in the salad but most counts are for larger portions i.e. 1/2 cup of broccoli, whereas in a salad there may only be 5 florets. So unless it is a jumbo salad I started just skipping the count on it and only count the dressing.

Now if there is anything beside veggies in it like cheese, or seeds or meat etc. I will count those. I generally go a little high on my counts for things like that as I would rather be a little off by counting more than counting less.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I count everything that goes into my mouth. Whether it is salad or not I count it. One cup of shredded lettuce has about 10 calories.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I count everything that goes into my mouth. Whether it is salad or not I count it. One cup of shredded lettuce has about 10 calories.

heheheh :wink:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Not including the dressing, it's probably like 50 cals. If that.
    Most of the salad is lettuce, with a grape tomato or two, plus a slice or two of cucumber, maybe onion or carrot then the dressing - at least in my experience.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

heheheh :wink:

i see what you did there
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I count it all. Often I have a huge list on my diary because I add every ingredient. I usually estimate the amount at restaraunts though. I am getting used to knowing how much lettuce is in a cup because I measure it at home.
  • graywi123
    graywi123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I count nothing that is dark green. Example one cup of spinach is 7 calories. I have everything taken out that is non essential such as croutons, shredded cheese... for dressing I order extra lemon wedges.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    if its a place that isn't in the database I chart Dole very veggie salad and add whatever else comes on it
  • seeashleysave
    seeashleysave Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The dressing will contain more calories than most think. I went to a Japanese steakhouse a few days ago, and the salad was over 200 calories solely because of the dressing (it only had lettuce and carrots on it).
  • melscrum
    Options
    A side salad from McDonald's has spring mix (dark and light lettuce), 2 grape tomatoes, and carrot blended in. The nutrition information puts it at 20 calories before dressing and/or crutons are added.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    What about the dressing? That's where the money is.... Beware
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yup, you can ignore the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, but if there's dressing then you should really count that.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the answer. Yes, the dressing is what I am concern about. At the place I frequent, they have the Japanese style salad dressing so I am not quite sure how to count it. I figure it is around 150-200kcal per cup though.