Is it still considered jogging...

Options
I'm doing the couch to 5k program. I'm on week 4 (I have been for a couple of weeks). Today I didn't go to the gym but I did do it outside. I didn't realize how jogging outside was so much harder than on a treadmill. I'm also pushing a jogging stroller with my two year old in it. Anyway, I have an app on my Droid that maps, calculates speed and distance. After coming home I realized that I went 2.36 miles and an average speed of only 3.6 mph. Is that even considered jogging anymore? I mean I did the motions and thought I was doing ok. When I jog on the treadmill I get an average speed of 4.7 mph, mind you, this is calculating the walking in between sets. I just feel that was plain pitiful.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    3.6mph is jogging for me :laugh:
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Jogging and a quick walk are about the same thing, according to C25k and the pedometer app ,that I have on my Ipod touch. I am also doing the C25k and I know that I don't move faster than 3.8 mph. The bouncing motion and the push that it takes to get up even small hills are my barometer for success. As long as I keep with the jogging motion, for the entire run period, I don't get real bothered with speed. If you're working on speed you may need an app that will give you an alarm when you're under your speed goal. I think that pushing the stroller might be the other reason you feel that you're going slower. You have added resistance that you wouldn't get on a treadmill. (I'm not sure this was helpful info, but it sounds like you're doing fine and just need to take all of the factors into consideration.) Just keep it moving is my motto. LOL!! Happy Running!! :happy:
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent C25k grad, and even on the final days, I was only averaging 4mph. Whether you are fast or slow, it's still jogging :)
  • Bluddy
    Bluddy Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't think your speed really matters, when i jog on the spot it still gets my legs burning and im not going anywhere :) Also i think your walking speed just depends on the lenth of your legs, i find been tall i walk much faster than most people.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    It could be because of the stroller you were pushing - did you walk at all? Maybe your program was off too. I know that when I first started I had a pedometer that I carried and I had put my stride length in wrong and it was saying I was only going x but I was going y lol Made a big difference.

Even if it is right - you are out there moving and you will get faster :)
  • biggphatdaddy
    Options
    so, how do you realistically define when you are jogging rather than fast walking....because when i am at 5.2 mph it winds me after about 3 minutes, but in the mirror i look like i am going so slow....at 4.0 i am walking quickly, but i can keep it up for 15 to 20 minutes without break....i dont know, i guess i am just looking for a good description of the different levels of motion, walking, brisk walking, jogging, and running....are there certain motions that determine whether you are jogging or walking?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's a clear and simple definition--if both feet leave the ground at some point during the stride, you are running; if one foot is always in contact with the ground during the stride, you are walking. Speed is irrelevant.

The only noteworthy fact about the speed is that if you are running at a speed less than 5.0 mph, you cannot use the standard equations to estimate calories burned. Under 5.0 mph, there are too many variables in stride for a generalized equation to be accurate. Just keep pushing....!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    its jogging wtg!....im 5ft tall and well 3.0 gets me jogging hahaha
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I run at a slow pace as well. Here's a good article that help explains the caloric differences in walking and running at various speeds.

ETA: Wrong website. Here's the correct one: http://runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    so, how do you realistically define when you are jogging rather than fast walking....because when i am at 5.2 mph it winds me after about 3 minutes, but in the mirror i look like i am going so slow....at 4.0 i am walking quickly, but i can keep it up for 15 to 20 minutes without break....i dont know, i guess i am just looking for a good description of the different levels of motion, walking, brisk walking, jogging, and running....are there certain motions that determine whether you are jogging or walking?

See my other comment for the definition of running vs walking. Those are the only two relevant terms--the rest is just noise. Running at 5.2 mph is about 70% more intense than walking at 4.0 mph.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Azdak's definition is correct. Speed is irrelevant. I would, however, encourage you to continue working to improve your speed. When I first started running I was only running at about a 12 minute pace. Maybe even 13. The last 5K I ran was at a 9:45 average pace, and if I really push myself I can do a single mile in about 7:30. That's not because I'm a better runner than someone who may be a little slower. It's just because I've been working at it. The more you run the easier it will become and the faster you'll be able to run. My goal is to be able to run a 5K in 21 minutes flat. I'm a long way from that right now, but every time I run I get a little closer to that goal. Just stick with it and the speed will come. :smile:
  • albrst
    albrst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been asking this same question. I am on week 5 of c25k and have been doing 5.0 but it kills me. I am barely 5 feet tall so I have short legs. All these "runners" tell me that I should be at least at 5.5-6 mph but then I can't do it at all. So now I am not going to feel bad if I have to slow it down some.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's a clear and simple definition--if both feet leave the ground at some point during the stride, you are running; if one foot is always in contact with the ground during the stride, you are walking. Speed is irrelevant.

The only noteworthy fact about the speed is that if you are running at a speed less than 5.0 mph, you cannot use the standard equations to estimate calories burned. Under 5.0 mph, there are too many variables in stride for a generalized equation to be accurate. Just keep pushing....!

That's what I was going to say (about running vs walking, I had no idea about the equation part)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If both of your feet are leaving the ground at the same time, you're running. Even if you're only moving at 3.6 mph. I don't know whether you are getting any benefits from going at that speed, though, because you use the same amount of energy per mile whether you are running or walking, but you could be adding more stress to your joints while running slowly than you would by walking fast.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I consider the treadmill torturous. And I actually run better outside. However, the exception is when trying to run with a stroller. Yuck. Not fun at all, and I definitely go much slower.
  • griz3232
    Options
    If you got your heart rate up to what it was when you use the treadmill then yes it is. Everyone tries to use a gauge that is universal to everyone but everyone is not the same. I am assuming you don't use the elevation option on the treadmill which could help simulate you running with the stroller. Keep at it!!! FYI when you are running don't set a time or distance. When you notice yourself not watching the clock or distance you will be surprised how far and long your body can really take you.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you got your heart rate up to what it was when you use the treadmill then yes it is. Everyone tries to use a gauge that is universal to everyone but everyone is not the same. I am assuming you don't use the elevation option on the treadmill which could help simulate you running with the stroller. Keep at it!!! FYI when you are running don't set a time or distance. When you notice yourself not watching the clock or distance you will be surprised how far and long your body can really take you.

Great advice! I am on week 5 of the C25k plan and run inside on a treadmill. I run at .5 incline and 3.9, which I feel is slow too however after doing some research on the C25k site it really is just about training yourself to run at this point. Once we complete the program then we can start working on pace. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Feel free too add me as a friend if you want a running buddy :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I've come to terms with the fact that I will never have a 6 mph pace. At least not in the forseeable future. I still run, but I'm really slow and that's okay for me!
  • shane1re
    Options
    It is jogging. I completed a C25K program last year and at my fastest I was only going five miles per hour outside. Running outside is totally harder!
  • meule2
    Options
    I am a runner. I race 5K's and 10k's for about 9 months out of the year, and usually finish in the top 10. The only difference between running and jogging is in your mind. Lots of people will try to put numbers on it, but it all comes down to you. Here are the two things that I think make you a runner.
    1. You pay an entry fee and run a race.
    2. You ever get a feeling that you need to go run, or miss running, or are sad that you missed your run that day.

If either of those are true, you are a runner.
    Remember, whether it takes 7 minutes or 17 minutes...a mile is still a mile.