Nibbling while cooking

Options
Here's the deal: I HATE cooking. I do it because it's cheaper and healthier than eating out. TO get it out of the way, I cook my lunches and dinners for the week on sundays. This way I don't have to cut my workout short to get home in enough time to make my lunch before going to bed, and I don't have to snack and binge as my way of procrastinating and putting off this miserable task, where I obssess over calorie and macro content of the food I prepare.

It has relieved a great deal of stress fo rme but I end up eating the food while preparing it. SO i go to the fridge to snack on somethign else instead. Still, since it's normally late at night and I'd like to cut down on night-time eating, can someone give me some tips on how to not nibble/graze while cooking?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I stopped nibbling while cooking when I made the commitment to log everything. I couldn't be bothered working out exactly how much I'd "nibbled", so just stopped. Anything I do grab, I weigh and log. Sometimes I'll chop up a carrot and munch on that.

Before I joined MFP, chewing gum while cooking helped.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I use to do that.... Now I either log it or don't do it. Gum does help. Even water .... But I sing instead lol
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I nibble here and there while I cook AFTER I weigh it. So, like, if I'm putting 3 oz of carrots into my lunch for tomorrow, I can pop a couple slices into my mouth, since I already will be logging the full 3 oz.
  • mbrdn
    mbrdn Posts: 1
    Options
    I did the same thing but read somewhere that it helps to pop in a piece of gum while you cook! It works for me as I hate mixing the mint flavor of my gum with anything else!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Maybe chew gum while you're cooking? I like the idea of carrots, maybe portion out some carrots or other veggies and include them in your meal.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I literally chug water or sing and dance while I cook... I get to burn more calories while getting into an awesome groove PLUS I get my water in lol
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic for me since I am a nibbler as I cook but it is the veggies that I nibble on. I figured it was a veggie not a something sweet but still want to stop. Maybe I will make some mint water and keep it by my side as I cook. :wink:
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of chewing gum, too. Suck on a peppermint--the flavor causes the cravings to subside and the strong smell offsets the smell of the cooking food!
  • violinkeri
    Options
    definitely gum! I started it because I read it keeps your eyes from tearing up while chopping onions (totally works btw!), so it just turned into habit.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I nibble when I cook food just for me.

But I measure absolutely everything, so it's all the same whether it hits my plate or goes from pan to mouth.

When I cook for the family, I try very hard to not nibble.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I nibble here and there while I cook AFTER I weigh it. So, like, if I'm putting 3 oz of carrots into my lunch for tomorrow, I can pop a couple slices into my mouth, since I already will be logging the full 3 oz.
    Oh yeah - I still do that kind of nibbling!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I do chew gum, and sip tea as well. But I just take the gum out of my mouth when I want to try the delicious food! Unfortunately, it's never just "one bite".

I think I will set aside some carrots (or celery) while I cook. That is a brilliant idea!