Not eating enough calories

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, there is nothing wrong with a big deficit as long as you are exercising!!!

I was always super confused about the whole eating more to lose weight thing. When I had a super labor intensive job, sometimes I struggled to net above zero for the day, and during that time I lost a TON of weight! I went from 165 lbs to 135 in 2.5 months.

I think the thing is that your metabolism WILL slow down if you are simply starving yourself. However, if you are eating and getting all your macros and nutrients (I was eating about 1600-1800 cals, burning 1500-2000 so netting extremely low even though I was eating lots) then your metabolism won't slow down, no 'starvation mode'. I was able to maintain my weight for almost 4 months after I was laid off, without intensive exercise. I gained back my weight on a 6-week vacation :(

Anyways, ive never had any metabolic issues as a result of netting very low, as long as I've kept up exercise.

Hope this helps, good luck ;)

So what do you do when you've reached goal?

If you are taking in1600-1800 calories and burning 1500-2000 in exercise, you are starving yourself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I really have a hard time believing the 1200 calorie thing to be true as a person who is going to undergo bariatric surgery is actually put on several weeks of a liquid diet at 900 calories per day. This is doctor supervised, but if it were medically dangerous, I can't see it happening. They say that the 8 - 12 weeks of the "optifast" helps you to break all your bad habits and retrain your body with good eating habits thereafter.

I am certainly not supporting a diet of under 1200 calories daily, but I also think there is a fair amount of fear mongering out there.

1. People with a lot of body fat to lose can do much bigger calories deficits a lot safer.
    2. Doctors put people on those VLCD because the benefit of dropping that weight outweighs the risks of a VCLD.
    3. It is medically supervised.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can explain this totally. your body when not getting enough calories takes what you eat and stores it as fat. it thinks it will not be fed properly. I have underate in calories for a long time between 1,000 -1100 calories and I gained a lot of weight.

basicially I eat now 3 meals, 2 snacks period and it helps me stay on track with my calories.

you gained a lot of weight?
    your body made something from nothing?

quite curious.

She did have something - and therefore since her body felt as though it was "starving" it kept everything in not burning so the body absorbs it... thus gaining weight from "little" versus losing with "lots" as long as you burn it!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I really have a hard time believing the 1200 calorie thing to be true as a person who is going to undergo bariatric surgery is actually put on several weeks of a liquid diet at 900 calories per day. This is doctor supervised, but if it were medically dangerous, I can't see it happening. They say that the 8 - 12 weeks of the "optifast" helps you to break all your bad habits and retrain your body with good eating habits thereafter.

I am certainly not supporting a diet of under 1200 calories daily, but I also think there is a fair amount of fear mongering out there.

I tend to agree. "starvation" diets are only bad when they are done consistently for a long period of time (months), and the heavier you are the more leeway you have with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This article explains it well:

http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
    The majority of the time when you’re having a problem losing weight, it’s not because you aren’t making good food choices. The reason why your weight loss has stagnated is because you’re not eating enough calories to lose weight.

What Happens When You’re Not Eating Enough Calories?

When most people start dieting, they slash their calories and add a large amount of exercise to their daily routine. That’s fine, but they usually cut their calories way too low. Add in the extra exercise, and all of a sudden you have an extreme calorie deficit that is working against you.

Not eating enough calories causes many metabolic changes. Your body is a smart machine and senses a large decrease in dietary energy. Your large calorie deficit might work for a few days or even weeks, but eventually your body will wake up and sound alarms that it needs to conserve energy. It doesn’t want to just waste away. It needs that energy (fat) to survive. So, what does your body do when it senses prolonged energy restriction? Not eating enough calories…

Slows down thyroid production – Your thyroid is responsible for fat, carbohydrate, and protein metabolism among other things. Your body has the ability to slow down thyroid output in an effort to maintain energy balance [1].

Decreases muscle mass – Muscle is highly calorie intensive to maintain. In a prolonged extreme calorie deficit, it is one of the first things that your body looks to get rid of. Your body needs the fat, wants the fat, and the muscle can be spared. It breaks down the muscle tissue and uses it for energy.

Lowers testosterone levels – An important hormone for both men and women, testosterone is just one of many hormones that are affected with severe calorie restriction [2]. Testosterone is anabolic to muscle tissue. Without it, it becomes that much harder to maintain, let alone put on muscle mass.

Decreases leptin levels – Leptin is one of many energy regulating hormones. More importantly, it’s a “hunger” hormone that tells you whether to eat or not. High leptin levels signal that it’s OK to stop eating, while low leptin levels are a signal to eat more energy. Because of this, leptin levels decrease in calorie restricted environments [3].

Decreases energy levels – There are many physical actions your body takes when you’re not eating enough calories to lose weight, but there are also some mental ones. Neurotransmitter production is limited, which can lead to a lack of motivation. It’s your body’s way of telling you to “slow down” – conserve your energy.

How Many Calories Should You Be Eating?

Your goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and still lose weight. You always want to start high and then come down with your calorie intake. It’s much easier to do this than come up in calories after your weight loss has stalled and you’ve lost all your motivation. How many calories should you eat? There is no perfect number. Each person’s metabolism is different. Calorie calculators are a good starting point, but they can’t take into account all the individualistic variables.

To do that, you need to find your calorie intake either through:

Experimentation – I laid out a plan to determine this number in – How Many Calories Should I Eat? You might want to give it a read.

Measure it with a device – I personally use the BodyMedia FIT Armband to determine my calorie burn. You can read more about it here. I’ve found it to be accurate within a 10% margin of error.

The problem is most people want the weight gone, and they want it gone now. Weight loss is a patience game. It takes time and consistency to make it work. Losing 2lbs per week is the most I would aim for. At this pace, it will ensure that the majority of your weight loss is coming from stored body fat instead of muscle. You will also give yourself the best chance to build muscle while you lose fat, which is what you should be striving to do. To find out what portion of your weight loss is fat and what portion is muscle, I highly recommend you pick up a $5 pair of body fat calipers to measure your body composition. It will make weight loss much easier if you can hold onto your muscle, or even put some on in the process.

So if your progress has stalled, but you think you’re eating the right foods and exercising intensely, more than likely your problem is that you’re not eating enough calories to lose weight. Eat as much as you can, get in as many nutrients as possible, and your weight loss will start moving forward again.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I can explain this totally. your body when not getting enough calories takes what you eat and stores it as fat. it thinks it will not be fed properly. I have underate in calories for a long time between 1,000 -1100 calories and I gained a lot of weight.

basicially I eat now 3 meals, 2 snacks period and it helps me stay on track with my calories.

quite curious.

She did have something - and therefore since her body felt as though it was "starving" it kept everything in not burning so the body absorbs it... thus gaining weight from "little" versus losing with "lots" as long as you burn it!!

That makes no sense.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options

quite curious.

but if it was well under her TDEE (maybe she was bed-ridden)...

im just trying to understand...im going to try some math.

lets say for S&Gs her TDEE is 1500
    she was eating 1000

thats a deficit of 500 cals.
    can someone gain "a lot of weight" on a daily deficit of 500 calories? (this of course with the assumption she was entirely immobile.)
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options

If you are taking in1600-1800 calories and burning 1500-2000 in exercise, you are starving yourself.

Was I? See I always wondered about that, I find it quite curious. I ate massive amounts of veggies, fish, chicken and small amounts of nuts and oil. I NEVER felt hungry, weak, ill, etc. In fact I'd never felt better. The fact that someone could say to me "you are starving yourself" would have completely confounded me. If it weren't for MFP and my being aware of my daily net calories, I am sure I would have felt like I was netting 1500-2k.

So I guess my question is, what exactly is "starving yourself?" why was I always full of energy and never physically hungry? And I kept track of my vitamin and mineral intake, eating tons of healthy veggies, getting way more nutrients than the average SAD.

Was I still damaging myself? Shed some light, brother!
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I truly appreciate everyone's input here. I am going to be extremely diligent about hitting my alotment of calories and see if things change. I always welcome feedback on my food diary and am open to suggestions on how to improve.

It's SO nice to have this forum...I appreciate everyone!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Was I? See I always wondered about that, I find it quite curious. I ate massive amounts of veggies, fish, chicken and small amounts of nuts and oil. I NEVER felt hungry, weak, ill, etc. In fact I'd never felt better. The fact that someone could say to me "you are starving yourself" would have completely confounded me. If it weren't for MFP and my being aware of my daily net calories, I am sure I would have felt like I was netting 1500-2k.

So I guess my question is, what exactly is "starving yourself?" why was I always full of energy and never physically hungry? And I kept track of my vitamin and mineral intake, eating tons of healthy veggies, getting way more nutrients than the average SAD.

You were burning off all of the calories you ate. Your body still needed additional calories to function. How is it any different that not eating, and doing no exercise?
    There is only so much fat that your body will burn off and you will burn LBM. Unless you were overestimating calorie burns...

So what do you do when you've reached your goal?
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good posts here but I thought I would chip in with some personal experience.

About ten years ago I lost weight cutting calories and some exercise. I didn't really follow any advice I was just doing my own thing. I was successful but I found I would have to keep cutting to carry on losing weight. I got to 144lbs, I'm 5'10" and this looked terrible on me. I was also eating around 600-700 calories a day max, if I was eating at all this went on for a couple of years. My body shut down and I could barely function, I was bed bound for 6 months, diagnosed with CFS.

When I started to eat a little more I gained weight, I was eating around 1000-1200 calories a day. This led to years of yo-yoing, weekdays I would eat around 1000 calories a day sometimes less, weekends I would go up to 2500 calories. This still isn't that much extra but I just kept gaining.

You need to look at the long run, if you are planning to cut calories severely, lose weight quickly and then go back to eating normally then it won't work. It's best to follow the guidance. I've been poorly and unable to exercise, actually housebound since last October instead of panicking and cutting calories I actually decided to raise my calories to maintenance for a while, I now have a slight cut but my main goal is to get better. I haven't gained any weight though.

I just think for long term loss and health it is best to have a sensible diet with a bit of what you fancy.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement in that eating 1200 a day will not put you in a "starvation mode" when I was younger I would rarely eat more that one meal a day in the summer because I spent most of the day in a bathing suit and I didn't want my stomach to stick out. After I had my kids I went back to one meal a day because I worked full time and they always had to be somewhere as soon as I got home from work and I weighed about 120 lbs. Now they are grown with kids of their own and eating 3 meals a day, plus snacks and drinks occasionally have gained me 50 lbs. Please note that I have always been on some kind of excercise program, swimming or biking, arobics or something - yoga is now my new fav. So now I'm down 12 pounds and eat a small breakfast, slimfast for lunch and a salad with some kind of protein & bread for dinner. I'm not starving or tired. Sorry, but I had to put my 2 cents worth in on this topic.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories will slow down your metabolism. Your body is smart. After a few weeks of low cals it will adjust your metabolism accordingly and you'll have to adjust even lower to continue weight loss. See the two links below for a better explanation and steps to lose fat without causing metabolic damage. There's some less than stellar language in the video, but she totally makes sense :)

http://fueledfitness.ca/fat-loss-the-right-way/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVn05eBYvno
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

<snip>Your goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and still lose weight. You always want to start high and then come down with your calorie intake. It’s much easier to do this than come up in calories after your weight loss has stalled and you’ve lost all your motivation.

^^ This is my favorite part. I can never understand people who reverse this process and start off with 500 or 100 calories a day.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options

You were burning off all of the calories you ate. Your body still needed additional calories to function. There is only so much fat that your body will burn off and you will burn LBM. Unless you were overestimating calorie burns...

So what do you do when you've reached your goal?

Ohhh, I get it. I was going to ask how it was possible that I felt so good and yet was starving myself. You make a good point, it was because my body still had fat to burn. So that's not necessarily a bad thing, because I did eat loads of protein to preserve LBM. what you're saying is it's dangerous once I get to the point where my body has to start eating away at my LBM. I guess I never really thought about that, and luckily, I never had to. The work is seasonal and only lasts 2-3 months, so I never got to that point.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention though. This spring when I go back treeplanting I will be much more careful about getting enough calories once I reach goal. I can definitely add more fats because last year I really limited my fats (still of the serial dieter mentality that fats are Satan!)

Thanks again, your logic is so simple that it makes me feel a bit foolish for not understanding what I was doing before! I know all this stuff, I'm not sure why I couldn't piece it together myself

Edit: I think it is different than not eating/exercising because I'm still giving my body it's required vitamins and minerals, and exercising keeps your metabolism going. I was definitely doing something right because honestly that was the best I've ever felt in my life, and I was stronger and leaner than ever before. I won arm wrestles against men! Haha
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

<snip>Your goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and still lose weight. You always want to start high and then come down with your calorie intake. It’s much easier to do this than come up in calories after your weight loss has stalled and you’ve lost all your motivation.

^^ This is my favorite part. I can never understand people who reverse this process and start off with 500 or 100 calories a day.

Agreed. This is my biggest argument against 1200 calories for most people not 'starvation mode'. You have little room to cut if you start out at the bottom.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Agreed. This is my biggest argument against 1200 calories for most people not 'starvation mode'. You have little room to cut if you start out at the bottom.

But if you're already at the bottom, why would you need to cut? Sure you need to realize that as you lose weight your calorie needs will likely lessen, so the size of your deficit will decrease and your progress will slow, but some might argue that's the point. And isn't that why some people like to base their daily intakes on their goal weight, so that when they hit their goal they will already be at maintenance?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

But if you're already at the bottom, why would you need to cut? Sure you need to realize that as you lose weight your calorie needs will likely lessen, so the size of your deficit will decrease and your progress will slow, but some might argue that's the point. And isn't that why some people like to base their daily intakes on their goal weight, so that when they hit their goal they will already be at maintenance?

i think people on MFP talk too much about dieting and not enough about 'reverse dieting'
  • jacksonpt
    Options

i think people on MFP talk too much about dieting and not enough about 'reverse dieting'
    What do you mean? I've seen several "definitions" of reverse dieting... not sure how you mean it.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Your diary looks quite good the last few days though. Six above yesterday...that doesn't really count!