HITT

Options
Just wondering if anyone else does HITT training & how you record it on mfp.

I’ve just started - - - and noticed it didn’t come up in the search.

A friend suggested I create it – but I have no idea what I might have burned, I didn’t wear a monitor or anything.

Thanks for any ideas.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Do you mean HIIT? (high intensity interval training?)

Usually log using "circuit training" if you don't have a HRM.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There is really no accurate way to measure calories without a HRM since everyone's body compositions are differeint (height, weight, resting heart rate, working rate, etc.).

You should invest in an HRM honestly, amazing tool.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    There is really no accurate way to measure calories without a HRM since everyone's body compositions are differeint (height, weight, resting heart rate, working rate, etc.).

^ This is correct.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

All that matters when it comes to calories burned is weight and intensity. HRMs are less accurate for interval training, they are intended for steady state moderate intensity exercise.

When I was logging HITT, I was doing it on a treadmill, if I did a session of 10 intervals at 1 minute each of high intensity, I logged 10 minutes at the pace from the treadmill, then the remaining time at the other intensity.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options

^ This is correct.

I agree....go to bodytronics.com and look up their HRMs...
  • RhondaOnAJourney
    RhondaOnAJourney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM (the Gaiam Oregon) and LOVE IT. It's a hundred dollars, but I found it brand new on Amazon for $35. Definitely worth the investment.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have just started HIIT training and I love it! :bigsmile:

I think it maybe best if you invest in an HRM though, this will give you a better idea of what you burn. Also with HIIT training it takes your heart quite a while to return to rest, so you're effectively burning more calories even though you've stopped excercising.

For a 20 minute HIIT workout I can burn anything between 200-300 calories which is great!

Oh and I had to create my own entries in my diary.

Enjoy the pain! :wink:
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT once or twice per week for 15-30 mins max and I use my HRM to determine my burn and feel that it is very accurate.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I’m going to invest in the HRM, and I’ve created the exercise…

Sorry for the typo I did mean HIIT.
    Today was my first day & I was tired after 10 mins, but enjoyed every second, you have to start somewhere!
    I love how every time I try something new I look like an awkward giraffe the first few times.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I think it maybe best if you invest in an HRM though, this will give you a better idea of what you burn. Also with HIIT training it takes your heart quite a while to return to rest, so you're effectively burning more calories even though you've stopped excercising.

For a 20 minute HIIT workout I can burn anything between 200-300 calories which is great!

I'm interested in HITT training, what did you do to start this ? Dvd ? Exercise at home? I don't know where to begin..
    Any help would be great.. Thanks!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You can get a good estimate of the calories burned during HIIT, but the benefit of HIIT over other forms of cardio comes for several hours post workout, amd that is difficult to quantify. Some studies show as much as 9 times the fat burned versus low intensity cardio, but this is due to a combination of factors such as increased thermogenic effect and appetite suppression, so it will vary from person to person. You definitely can't just multiply by 9.
  • jcrowfoot
    jcrowfoot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why HRM are less accurate for interval training? I rely completely on my HRM as I have always thought it is the best way to accurately measure calorie burn, Just curious...
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I'm interested in HITT training, what did you do to start this ? Dvd ? Exercise at home? I don't know where to begin..

I started doing it at my gym, they started running a lunchtime class and I dived in and gave it a go.

If you can't get to a gym I'm sure you can do something similar at home, just Google HIIT regime it's bound to come up with something you can try at home via youtube or something. If you have your own equipment then you're on to a winner, the hardest part will be motivating yourself to just go for it!

Good luck! :happy:
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yeah a HRM is the way to go, got mine for 45 bucks at walmart and was an AWESOME investment. Logging as Aerobics or circut training didn't even come close to what my HRM was saying, and I ended up hittting a plateau because I wasn't eating enough.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm curious why HRM are less accurate for interval training? I rely completely on my HRM as I have always thought it is the best way to accurately measure calorie burn, Just curious...

Because it is designed for steady state cardio. Here is a good post that explains it. Unfortunately the accuracy of HRMs are overstated often here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

I started doing it at my gym, they started running a lunchtime class and I dived in and gave it a go.

If you can't get to a gym I'm sure you can do something similar at home, just Google HIIT regime it's bound to come up with something you can try at home via youtube or something. If you have your own equipment then you're on to a winner, the hardest part will be motivating yourself to just go for it!

Good luck! :happy:

You can just walk outside and start running using percieved effort.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    An HRM is designed for steady state where steady state is broadly between 90 and 150. So actually, it's as good as you are going to get.

I am losing 2lb per week at the moment by tracking what I eat in terms of calories and doing HIIT (on treadmill, spinning class or cycling up and down big hills) which I measure using a Polar HRM. My overall fitness is improving massively as well. My resting heart rate is down 15 bpm, my post-exercise recovery (ie stopping exercise back to resting heart rate) is down from 15 mins to 10 mins and most importantly, I am faster than my darling husband on the last 2.5 mile uphill drag from our Sunday morning bike rides.

Are condoms 100% effective? No. Does that mean they are not worth using to prevent nasty diseases and unwanted pregnancies? You probably still want to use them.

I say if you want to lose weight/build up fitness, then doing HIIT with a decent HRM that involves a chest strap gives you a pretty good sporting chance of doing that.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

it begins outside running sprints... and then it ends outside running sprints.. body never really gets used to running at max intensity much like how it can adapt to distance running so u just gotta run fast and keep doin it =/
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    An HRM is designed for steady state where steady state is broadly between 90 and 150. So actually, it's as good as you are going to get.

I am losing 2lb per week at the moment by tracking what I eat in terms of calories and doing HIIT (on treadmill, spinning class or cycling up and down big hills) which I measure using a Polar HRM. My overall fitness is improving massively as well. My resting heart rate is down 15 bpm, my post-exercise recovery (ie stopping exercise back to resting heart rate) is down from 15 mins to 10 mins and most importantly, I am faster than my darling husband on the last 2.5 mile uphill drag from our Sunday morning bike rides.

Are condoms 100% effective? No. Does that mean they are not worth using to prevent nasty diseases and unwanted pregnancies? You probably still want to use them.

I say if you want to lose weight/build up fitness, then doing HIIT with a decent HRM that involves a chest strap gives you a pretty good sporting chance of doing that.

No where did I say not to use a HRM or that you can't lose weight using one. I am saying HRMs aren't the only answer. They are an estimate, even in steady state cardio. MFP is an estimate as well. I and many others have successfully lost weight just using MFP estimates. I am pointing out that they are not the be all end all of weight loss. If you have the money and wish to spend it on one, go ahead, but I see too many people here who say they can't afford it but feel them must have one. My issue is with people thinking they MUST get one in order to be successful and that they are totally accurate

ETA - also - I am referring to the posts about using HRM for calorie estimates, not as a fitness tool.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

it begins outside running sprints... and then it ends outside running sprints.. body never really gets used to running at max intensity much like how it can adapt to distance running so u just gotta run fast and keep doin it =/

To be more specific for those who are new to HIIT, the body never really gets used to running at max intensity, but it does adapt so VO2 max is at a faster pace. When you adapt you can then go faster or harder while sprinting and reap the same benefit.