30 day shred

Options
2»

Replies

• ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I attempted it and had the same problem. I couldnt get through probably 3mins before I was out of breath. I plan on starting it again March 1 so Im reading and taking everyone who posted in heres advice.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not perfections, it's progressive and so too are our exercise regiments. The objective is to do a little better and work a little harder tomorrow than today, one more step, one more repetition tomorrow IS success.
  • rosierosepdx
    rosierosepdx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that you should do what you can, listen to your body, and (most of all!) be kind to yourself - it's a tough workout. I'm only on Level 1 and plan to stay there for 30 Days before moving up a level. I find Circuit 1 to be toughest, and when I get through that, I sail through the other two circuits.

I first tried the 30 Day Shred six months ago, and I couldn't keep it up. Like you, I had to quit about 10 minutes in. Up to that point, my workouts had been elliptical only, 60mins per day, 5-6x per week. I was discouraged that I wasn't yet ready for the 30 Day Shred, and figured my strength and endurance needed some serious work. I did some reading about interval training, and bought a heart rate monitor. I began interval training on my elliptical using the hrm to guide me. 5 minute warm up and then 1 minute at highest intensity I could muster, then 2 minute normal / slow rate, etc. I did that for 2 months, and ignored my Shred DVDs. On Feb 1, I tried the Shred DVD again, and this time, I did great! Still super tough and still sore for the first 4 days, but I'm doing fine now and plan to continue. My advice is that you try to figure out a plan that feels right for you to help build up your strength, and then work toward it. You can do it!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    As someone who has done this a few times, I would gently suggest that you start without any weights. When I did 30DS for the first time, I had no money to buy any dumbbells so I did them without for the first week, then two weeks later I got 4lb ones. It was tough.. but I got through it.. most people on here that I've read use lighter weights.

Just keep going.. I promise you that doing the 30DS is worth it - you will see results faster in 30 days by just doing the workout everyday (even if you have to take breaks) than you will doing an 1hr on the elliptical. I was there once where you are right now - I had recently had the 2nd addition to my family, heavy smoker, stressed, lethargic and I couldn't run for more than 10 seconds. When I did 30DS, I sweat SO much and could barely breathe during the 2 minute cardio. Within days of doing the workout, I found myself getting stronger and stronger - I wasn't breathing as heavy and eventually I could do it without taking breaks. It helped me start running around my neighbourhood and I lost 20" in a month!!

You can do it!!
  • bko722
    bko722 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just finished it over the weekend. You will find that it does get somewhat easier with time. I kind of jumped around on the various levels. I only did a few days at level 1 and then went to level 2, but if I was really tired I'd select level one even towards the end. I got some nice results after the 30 days!
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    It does get easier if you keep doing as much as you can. dont quit the whole thing, just rest until you can try the next thing. The first day I couldnt finish the push up segments, and by the 10th day, I could get about 15 (modified) done on the first round and 8 on the second. that being said level 2 is whole different ball game and I can barely get though it and take a lot of breaks.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When I started the Shred, I, too, was struggling with pushups. Even the modifies ones were too hard for me.
    One month later I was able to do a few of the REAL pushups. That's how much stronger I got. This was the first time in my life I was able to do a real pushup. I was so thrilled.

I suggest that you do your best. If you manage only 4 of the 10 pushups, so be it - in the beginning. Slowly but surely you'll feel able to do 5, then 6...

You could also try doing pushups in standing position against a wall.
  • megan__johnson
    Options
    This is so nice to see on here!
    I am currently doing the shred, started it ten days ago and just started level 2, i felt the same way whenever i first started, but it really DOES get easier.
    I know it doesn't seem like that at all right now, and currently i am reliving the day one all over. Starting level 2, it is so much more intense, but just stick with it!!! It will all pay off
  • runningwiththepups
    Options
    I started Level 3 today. When I started Level 1, I always needed a break during the second set of jump rope, and I couldn't do a pushup if my life depended on it. I also started with 2 pound weights, and started using the 3 pound halfway through Level 2. Just do what you can. As someone mentioned in another thread when I was starting, if you modify or take extra breaks, Jillian isn't going to break in and beat you up :)
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses! It makes me feel that it can be done. Quick question, I'm pretty sure i'll be at level 1 for a bit, but withing the 30 days, when do i progress to 2 and 3?
    thanks again!

10 days of each level but no shame in adding 1 or 2 days to the first level if you need to!

great. thank you! thanks everyone for all the information and encouragement, this was extremely helpful!
  • NSP85
    NSP85 Posts: 27
    Options
    I think i'll start the 30 day shred, I started before but never finished. Now that I'm running 3x a week, I need to give myself an extra push. I need to be pushed and that's what Jillians work outs do. I know i'll complete it this time.
  • candi_is_dandi
    Options
    jillian michaels has been kicking my *kitten* & it's starting to show! since starting the 30 day shred on the 13th, i've lost 1.5 inches from my upper waist, 1 inch from my lower waist, half an inch from my thighs & a whopping 4.5 inches from my hips! when i woke up this morning, i could feel that my body was smaller & tighter - almost as if it happened overnight. the shred is definitely helping me shed! ; D

when i first started, i had trouble with the modified push-up's (i could barely get back up after doing one or two of them) & i had to break during each jumping jack/jump rope sequence because i was huffing & puffing so badly & my legs burned so much, i just couldn't keep up! & the bicycle crunches? no way, i just couldn't do them for more than a couple of seconds. i also used 5 pound weights the first day & was so sore, i made the 14th a rest day. on the 15th & the 16th, i didn't use weights at all (i was actually able to do all the moves & keep up with them) & since the 17th, i've used weights for the chest flies, dumbbell rows & some of the squat moves. mix it up & see what works best for you! since i have 5 more days at level 1, i've decided i'm going to use my weights for all the moves that require them until i move on to level 2.

like jillian says, "if you're diligent with this, you'll see results" & i assure you, she's right! i promise you, it does get easier. get at it, girl! ; )