Odd childhood obsessions...

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Mt. St Helens.

Being born in Tacoma I was OBSESSED. Made my parents tape(remember recording TV on VHS?) EVERY SINGLE news special on it. Went to the Observatory about 10 times, had mulitple little things of "mt. st helens ash".

Made paper mache volcanos. It was a very odd thing.

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I agree with you...
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm almost ashamed to admit it but...beanie babies....lots of them. I think I had over 200..... :yawn:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Unicorns

I was awesome, damnit!
  • KainStar
    KainStar Posts: 197
    Options
    I was obsessed with bugs,animals, catching anything that moved and was alive. Now? Hate bugs! Disgusting little things. Odd how they are apart of the life cycle that keeps this world we live in going. Still hate them.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    fire and explosions...

I was the 8 year old who tore apart our fireworks to get the gunpowder and make explosions in the back yard.

Then I discovered that polystyrene melts in gasoline...

and then I found the 'Anarchists Cookbook'....

I'm glad we lived in the country, or I may have gone to jail.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Baseball cards. Normally not that odd for a kid, but I was obsessed with collecting entire sets, organizing and cataloging them, keeping them in pristine condition.....never, ever did they end up in my bicycle spokes. I still do it today, but the OCD that it was in the early 70's for me seems odd for a youngster....especially when I wasn't that anal or organized about anything else at the time.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Naked Barbie dolls.

They had to be naked. All the time.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Puppy in my pocket, power rangers and Pocahontas.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The Dionne quintuplets- the first surviving set of quintuplets. I saw a movie about them when I was 6 and became oddly fascinated by what really messed up lives they had/have.

And for some reason I wanted to go to Nashville more than I wanted to go to Disneyworld. Never went to either.

I loved the Little House on the Prairie books so much that when I was 9 my parents sent me to Minnesota with my grandparents for a summer so I could see all the places in the books- the dugout by the creek, the house in the city, Nellie's family's shop, the graves of a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder's family.

Then I heard about the many-worlds interpretation when I was 10 & wouldn't shut up about it.

I wonder why I was such a strange child.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Wind-up toys. If I saw one, I had to have it. I had over 120 or so in my collection.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My son -- from about the time he was 3 -- was obsessed with first Calvin and Hobbes, and then The Far Side. He would have me read the cartoons, and then wanted me to explain why they were funny, plus he'd ask questions about the back stories of the characters in the cartoon (this was easier with Calvin and Hobbes, not so easy with The Far Side). Over and over and over, until he finally learned to read (I dare you -- just try doing this for 10 pages of cartoons. It's very wearing). Unfortunately, I had all the published works for both Bill Watterson and Gary Larsen, so it really seemed never ending.

Now that he's an adult, he has a great vocabulary, an odd sense of humor, and is a pretty talented cartoonist in his own right (he does it for fun, though, and has no interest in pursuing it as a career).

When I was little, I was obsessed with reading. I could read before I went to school, and I read my first adult novel at 8. By the time I was in fifth grade, I was reading at least 5-10 books a week, and pretty much did that up until I had kids. I still read a lot to this day, but not as much as I did then. Plus...it's harder to find good books! I don't know if I'm jaded, or if there just aren't that many great ones that come out each year.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    cabbage patch dolls, and strawberry shortcake.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Quesadilla's
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i would take off all my baby dolls clothes and tie their legs together. it was because the way they were made their legs stuck out and i didnt like it so i thought i could train it out of them.... my mom thought i was a very odd child, and worried a lot about me.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Books. I would go to my friends' houses to play and they would get mad because I wouldn't play with them, I would just read their books. My siblings had friends who didn't believe I existed because I was always at the library. I was obsessed.

Also, running away. Any time I went anywhere, I scoping the area out for places I could hide if I ran away.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Going to the bathroom RIGHT before I fell asleep. I wet the bed til I was about 8 so I became irrationally afraid it would continue.

Still, at age 29, I could be almost asleep and jump up to go, just to be on the safe side.
  • LuckyMiss3
    Options
    Hanson. :(
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My Ken doll Brian.
  • Crystle85
    Options
    Cats....I was the crazy nerdy cat girl at my school, and animals in general, but mostly cats.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Books. I would go to my friends' houses to play and they would get mad because I wouldn't play with them, I would just read their books. My siblings had friends who didn't believe I existed because I was always at the library. I was obsessed.

Also, running away. Any time I went anywhere, I scoping the area out for places I could hide if I ran away.

... Are we the same person?