Joints popping/ cracking?

Options
So last night I was doing shoulder presses with 15lb dumbells in each hand, every rep I pushed up, my joints popped. No pain, just like a clicking. I've had this happen before sporadically, but last night it was every rep, (about 3 sets of 15). The 15lb dumbells are the same ones I have been using, no increase in weight. No soreness or injured feeling today. Normal? Or something to worry about?

Replies

• xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with my knees so I will be coming back to this topic in a few. Would like to know if something is wrong with me ... well besides the issues i'm already aware of hahaha :tongue:
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if your talking about a normal popping/cracking sound or more like a crunching sound. A crunching sound could be crepitus. Its from wear and tear of your joints and as long as there is no pain then it can be helped through strengthening exercises and stretches. If it is a crunching sound, I would contact your doctor and they can provide with you with exercises and stretches that can help strengthen the joints in that area.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it to be a crunching sound no. Clicking? Does that help describe it?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it's not associating with pain or swelling or any other indicator of injury I wouldn't sweat it. My shoulders do the same thing. So do my knees and ankles. Just walking normally my knees pop constantly. Walking up stairs my ankles pop with every step too. It's been happening all my life and I am pain-free. Some people are just that way according to the research I've done.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this because I got the crunching and then had pain (still do) However I will be contacting my doctor.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this because I got the crunching and then had pain (still do) However I will be contacting my doctor.

"Crunching" (a crinkling cellophane kind of sound), "popping" and "banging" WITH pain, are all indicative of osteoarthritis. It used to be thought that osteoarthritis was just a product of old age as almost 2/3 of the elderly have it. Now researchers know that there is a specific gene that must have mutated A LONG time ago in the common ancestor(s) of those who have it. Even though it usually follows a much more benign course than rheumatoid arthritis (which can hit at any age), it is the leading cause of disability and chronic pain in older people. Excess weight on the affected joints exacerbate the problem. But it is often a case of the "chicken and egg" as the increasing pain may cause the person to become more sedentary and pile on the pounds, which further aggravate the pain, etc. Water exercise has been a great boon to those with arthritis. Many people who were candidates for joint replacement surgery have found that they can get by with much less drastic treatment after taking up water exercise, along with the resulting weight loss. :smile:
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This happens to me with my ankles pretty much every single time I bend them. Squats, walking down stairs, lunges.. it usually doesn't hurt but every so often there will be one 'big' pop that hurts. I've asked doctors and podiatrists and they all seem to think if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't matter. It's a little disconcerting (ok, a lot) and a lot annoying. Would definitely keep an eye on it. I've recently started taking supplements that support joint health to see if it helps at all.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My knees make all sorts of popping, clicking, and crunching sounds anytime they move. I've never had any pain from it and it doesn't inhibit any of my exercise, so I tend not to worry about it. No idea if that's the right way to go about it, though.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with my knees so I will be coming back to this topic in a few. Would like to know if something is wrong with me ... well besides the issues i'm already aware of hahaha :tongue:

Me too! everytime i bend down or squat my knees pop. everytime, over and over. Ive always wondered if it was something wrong..lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Me too! everytime i bend down or squat my knees pop. everytime, over and over. Ive always wondered if it was something wrong..lol

Oh yeah, definitely. Every squat.

I wouldn't worry, as mentioned, unless it causes pain or swelling.

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/joint_cracking.html

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa092500.htm
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello

I have this problem with shoulders and knees. Although I also have joint pain, but not whilst doing exercise, ie the crunching itself is not painful but just during a regular day I have joint pain. I have notice that since my muscles on my legs and shoulders got stronger there is less pain - no pain in my shoulders anymore, but they still crunch.

I asked the doctor about my knees and he said they joints were fine its just gas moving about in them. I hav started usin knee supports when running and that helps.

My advice would be go see a dr and if nothing is wrong medically just build the muscles in that area. If you are not in discomfort and there are no medical issues then just carry on as you are :)
  • nicknoyes85
    Options
    Have this problem too on my right hip area ( Snapping Hip Syndrome ) when i do any Leg raises etc can get bloody annoying and can get abit unconfortable after training!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
    I have this in my spine & hips.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have this same thing in my knees & ankles. I notice it a lot walking up and down stairs. Doesn't hurt though or anything.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have this as well in my shoulders, elbows, and knees. Even my 16 year old daughter gets it in her knees. Maybe it's hereditary...
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I notice this with my ankles when I walk. Glad I'm not the only one!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Bumpp
  • beanerific518
    Options
    What are you doing for warmups / stretching prior to doing the shoulder presses? How many reps do you do in each set with the 15# DB's? Do you start at 15#?
  • lifewithmikey
    lifewithmikey Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My knees have always crackled and I'm only thirty. When I get up from squatting down I sound like Rice Krispies. I've read that it has something to do with synovial fluid in the joints... but I could be wrong.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hello

I have this problem with shoulders and knees. Although I also have joint pain, but not whilst doing exercise, ie the crunching itself is not painful but just during a regular day I have joint pain. I have notice that since my muscles on my legs and shoulders got stronger there is less pain - no pain in my shoulders anymore, but they still crunch.

I asked the doctor about my knees and he said they joints were fine its just gas moving about in them. I hav started usin knee supports when running and that helps.

My advice would be go see a dr and if nothing is wrong medically just build the muscles in that area. If you are not in discomfort and there are no medical issues then just carry on as you are :)

Yes, it is important for everyone to build up the supporting muscles around each joint, in order to avoid injury.